Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seats - three children

Options
  • 06-04-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Is there any way to fit three kids in car seats on the same row in a standard small hatch back (e.g. something like a Ford Focus). Kids are 5, 4 and 8 months so I need 2 x boosters and 1 x normal rear facing car seat.

Are there narrow/small boosters on the market specifically designed for smaller cars? We have looked are many options and problem is not fitting them all side by side but for you then being able to get your hand between them to fasten the seat belts.

Anyone any tips/ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

something like this maybe?
    http://www.multimac.co.uk/home

not cheap though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You need boosters with backs on them for the 4 & 5 year old.

If you go to somewhere that fits car seats you might be able to mix and match until you find a good combo?

If you are in Dublin I know of two places that do it, I can pm you the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    You need boosters with backs on them for the 4 & 5 year old.

Is this a legal requirement? When i look at something like a backless "Britax Horizon" it shows it is suitable for

Group 2 - 3
    Weight 15kg to 36kg
    Age 4y - 12y

my two are within these ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm going to get 3 new car seats and saw car seats that are suitable from 9 months up to 11 years, the seats come with a 5 point harness and have side impact protection. The back can be removed when child is 4 or 5 depending on size. I've already got lots of car seats in various stages and sizes.

There's one in Argos that I'm interested in and they let me have a look at it today. It's much neater than most of them so I reckon 3 will fit in the back of my ford focus.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3761377/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CNursery%7C12160836/c_2/2%7Ccat_12160836%7CCar+and+booster+seats%7C12160859.htm

I saw a Phil and Ted one in Smyths but don't see it on their website, it's fairly neat.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

OP - depending on your kids sizes they'll need a booster with a back if only to guide the seat belt and provide a bit of bulk.

If they are big for their age then look for booster cushions. Atlantic homecare had them and they are also on ebay. They are a bit narrower than the usual booster seat and don't have any protrusions -> http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/acatalog/bubu-booster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Irish law permits the eldest child to sit with no child seat if there is no room for 3 seats in the car.

I would never consider it myself but it is a (bad) alternative

Advertisement