Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe place to lock bike

Options
  • 06-04-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anybody would have suggestions for a safe place to lock up your bike in town?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I do
    (but then it would'nt be a safe place any more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Buglim wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anybody would have suggestions for a safe place to lock up your bike in town?

Thanks in advance.

You can leave it in Mountain Trail bike shop for the day for €1 (I think that's what they charge) during their regular opening hours. It's in the Corn Store (near River Deep Mountain High & Charlie Byrnes) or you could lock it to the new stands which have just been erected in town. One is at the Spanish Arch area and the other is in Eyre Square. They are covered too, but judging by the photos I saw of them, and Galway's horizontal rain, I wouldn't count on your bike remaining dry. Still, it's a new initiative to promote cycling so maybe give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Just go to ladbrokes in prospect hill, the lads in the counter will leave you put ure bike out back(wich is a big area).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

One of the best places to lock a bike in Galway is across the road from the Living Room. Theres a Taxi rank and loads of raillings and its one of the safest as the Taxis are mostly there (cos they charge too much) and they'll keep an eye on it for free (cos they'll clean out your wallet on the way home later on).:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Under the concourse in NUI. Just make sure not to leave the wheels. Or the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Outside Dew Drop Inn is a proper bike stand. It won't get in the way of blind people/buggys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

As long as you follow two important rules of bike locking, your bike will likely be fine:

1) Lock your bike right, this means both the frame and the wheels to something permanent. Using two locks means your bike will take that much longer to steal, and is thus less attractive to theives. Two crappy locks that can be cut in seconds with a bolt cutter doesn't count, of course.

2) Don't leave it downtown overnight. Ever.

With that said, I still usually take the bus to town rather than leave my bike - currently don't have the best lock for it though so that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Xiney wrote: »
    As long as you follow two important rules of bike locking, your bike will likely be fine:

1) Lock your bike right, this means both the frame and the wheels to something permanent. Using two locks means your bike will take that much longer to steal, and is thus less attractive to theives. Two crappy locks that can be cut in seconds with a bolt cutter doesn't count, of course.

2) Don't leave it downtown overnight. Ever.

With that said, I still usually take the bus to town rather than leave my bike - currently don't have the best lock for it though so that's why.

Never seen or heard of a bike being stolen from the Kingfisher NUI, there might be places to lock them around by the I.T. building in NUI too, safer seeing as no students walk through there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Magnus wrote: »
    Outside Dew Drop Inn is a proper bike stand. It won't get in the way of blind people/buggys there.

The only prob with this stand is that after 8 o'clock the thugs like to use the bikes as kicking practice.
    I have seen more bent wheels here than anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

Every time I've left my bike on Mainguard street for more than 30mins it's had something kicked off it by the time I get back.

Don't leave your bike anywhere near water - for some reason people just love breaking bike locks and chucking them into the canal, instead of properly stealing them.

Lastly, I always park my crappy supermarket bike next to a really nice looking one. It's sprayed black too, so it's practically in stealth mode. Had it a year so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I usually lock it in the laneway beside Eason's but generally that's the crossbar to the railing as it's a bit high. You could potenially lose your wheels if left overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i've never had problems leaving my crappy auld bike anywhere in town. i've left it on eyre square, down by the sparch and across from the dew drop inn several times with no trouble. The only trouble i've ever had was at tesco where i came out to find my back wheel buckled

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

ya if ya leave outside the skeff in eyre square i'll look out of no trouble at all

ye'll just never see it again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Never seen or heard of a bike being stolen from the Kingfisher NUI, there might be places to lock them around by the I.T. building in NUI too, safer seeing as no students walk through there at night.

Someone made a thread on here recently about leaving it there and it being lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

There isn't anywhere safe to lock a bike in town overnight, BUT if you are cheeky enough you can lock one in the Hynes car park on Merchants road and it will be safer than anywhere.

Mountain Trail is a waste of space unless you are in town all day. I had to wait 40 mins for the owner to open up after lunch (@2.40!) so I could get my bike out.

I work(?) on campus in NUI and I've seen guys walking around with bolt cutters during the day - unreal.

'cptr

Advertisement