Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming rig wont run games!!

Options
  • 06-04-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

iv bought a mid range gaming rig on adverts about a month ago..it seems to be working well with the exception that all games i try to play have 1 bug or another on it..atm im trying to play empire total war..the game itself is recommending to play it on high settings but it still freezes on low quality!! heres the specs as far as i know
    Asus AM2 nForce 590 SLI ATX 8 ch Audio 2xLan W/Less Lan

4GB Ram (Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 4x1GB PC2-4200 NonECC CL4)

LiteOn DVD -R/RW/RAM 20x Internal SATA Beige Nero 7

S300 7200RPM 8MB

Sli graphics 2 X GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 PCIE DVI HDTV 540/1000

650W PSU Black 12cm SATA PFC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2 3.0GHz

im not great with this so any help would be appreciated!! o when i first put in the o/s i was having alot of trouble with the hardrive! would changing the hd have any effect?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

try taking a graphics card out or disabling one of them. im not up to date on sli adoptions, but a few people had problems with empire total war in sli.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

im fairly sure if i tried to do that i would blow my comp up lol
    is it poss that the hd is causing the trouble? i want to get an informed opinion before i change it..got an 80gig lying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can disable Sli entirely in software, you don't have to touch your computer, so it's perfectly safe. Go to the Nvidia control panel. It sounds like either a Sli issue, but that seems unlikely if its happening in all games. Else it could be overheating - of either the video card or the processor. Use something like Rivatuner to monitor video card temps, and RealTemp to monitor CPU temperature.

It's not a bad machine apart from the video cards which are rubbish, far from being a mid range gaming system dual DDR2 8600GT's are total bargain bin. High settings would throttle it dead. A 60 euro card new would be double the speed of both those cards combined...it's an avenue to look into as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

DubCul wrote: »
    iv bought a mid range gaming rig on adverts about a month ago..it seems to be working well with the exception that all games i try to play have 1 bug or another on it..atm im trying to play empire total war..the game itself is recommending to play it on high settings but it still freezes on low quality!! heres the specs as far as i know
    Asus AM2 nForce 590 SLI ATX 8 ch Audio 2xLan W/Less Lan

4GB Ram (Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 4x1GB PC2-4200 NonECC CL4)

LiteOn DVD -R/RW/RAM 20x Internal SATA Beige Nero 7

S300 7200RPM 8MB

Sli graphics 2 X GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 PCIE DVI HDTV 540/1000

650W PSU Black 12cm SATA PFC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2 3.0GHz

im not great with this so any help would be appreciated!! o when i first put in the o/s i was having alot of trouble with the hardrive! would changing the hd have any effect?

Cards are almost low range at this point, but try just running one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jonny72 wrote: »
    Cards are almost low range at this point, but try just running one of them.

I would consider them ultra low end, for example this single GPU at 69 euro is about 220% the speed of dual 8600GT DDR2 cards at least, and this at 65 is similarly faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You dont need to touch the computer, just disable them as the poster above said.

iv tried disabling them..no luck..dont know much about comps so think il just buy a new graphics card today...what would be a good selection? price range around 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

It very much depends on how much you have to spend! You could probably find a 8800GT or 9800GT card for less than 100 and that would play all the latest games at a 1650 reso. nd maybe medium settings but if you want better or then pciking up a radeon HD 4870 would be a sparkling choice!
    But whats your price limit?

i guess 100-150..il get what ever you guys think i should :D:D

i was maybe thinking of going with this..would it be any good? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=365213

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah great card for a great price :) go for it!

cool ty for all the replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Freezes like that sound like a driver/directx problem to me.

Advertisement