Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

water/weather proofing

• 06-04-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

hello all,
    i am currently building a shed and am about to lay the concrete foundation. i am going to build a timber shed so i am just going to make up stud walls and fix them down to the slab (using the slab for shed floor).

i am planning to use a breather membrane and shiplap timber for the outer walls (letting the first board overhang the slab??) to help keep water out! and i will also have dpc under the slab to stop rising damp,but my question is this, will the over hang be enough to keep out the elements and do i need to use anything between the sole plate and the concrete?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

If I were u I would put 2 layers 4' solids on flat, bring floor dpc up and over from inside.
    put proper dpc layer on this and then start ur frame

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

cheers,
    i was planning on using 4*2 for the studs so would it be possible to use one block on its edge so that i dont have half the block in the way on he inside of the shed?
    and would the dpc run under the block then up the inside and over??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

lav1 wrote: »
    cheers,
    i was planning on using 4*2 for the studs so would it be possible to use one block on its edge so that i dont have half the block in the way on he inside of the shed?
    and would the dpc run under the block then up the inside and over??:confused:

see http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/

for examples of proper detailing, u can also look at current version of the Homebuild manual in any good bookstore

IMO 4" on edge would be unstable

There is a 6" wide solid, heavy bugger:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

great help,

Advertisement