Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time

Options
  • 06-04-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm wondering if anyone who has had a smear in the last 3-4 weeks has had their results back. The information sheet provided when I had mine stated that I'd have a letter from cervical check within 4 weeks.

Just reading through a few posts and it appears the wait time might be longer?

I noticed some changes, and although while the doctor was certain it was the pill, I'd like to be sure. I've had two previously (past 4 years) that were fine,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I waited about 5 months for the results in a family planning clinic. Now they offer results in less than 2 weeks from a private lab, for a substantial fee of course!

That was about a year and a half ago. I don't know what the current situation is, as I've been to the hospital for colposcopy the last couple of times.

It's all well and good testing you for free, but the waiting time for results is shocking. Hope it's improving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

Thanks for your reply!

http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/about_cervical_screening/frequently_asked_questions.461.html#Results seems to suggest that it would be less than 4 weeks!

5 months is a long time to wait! I'd want to front up with the money if it is still that long.

I'd read some other posts that suggested that they had to wait months for results, so was wondering if this was still the case, or whether this had changed because of the new program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I waited about a month for mine, and I got it done through the Cervical Check programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I had my smear done 6 weeks ago, through the cervical screening programme, and finally got my results today. I was told by my doctor that if I didnt get the results within 6 weeks to call her and she would look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

I work in a doctor's surgery and have to say the results are coming back a lot quicker now than before the Cervical Check programme began. 2-3 weeks is about how long they're taking now in the practice I work in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

i had my test done 5 weeks ago still no results back... my doctor advised 4 weeks is the average time it takes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I had mine done 3 weeks ago, I was told it would be 4 weeks, I could call the surgery and I would also get a letter. So another week to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I was told 6 weeks, I had mine a month ago ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

Received a letter in the mail today (5 and a half weeks waiting) saying my smear test had no abnormalities detected, just if anyone is waiting as well and wondering when they might hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

springo wrote: »
    Received a letter in the mail today (5 and a half weeks waiting) saying my smear test had no abnormalities detected, just if anyone is waiting as well and wondering when they might hear.

same here, 5 and a half weeks wait, letter arrived today, everything is normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

4 weeks on the dot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I [finally] got my letter after 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Well finally got my results 6 weeks later... i have to go back in 6 months :( this highlights the importance of regular smears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

yeah took mine six weeks as well to get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Mine was 4 weeks to the date of the test via the Cervical Screening programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lolipop2005

I've just been for a 6 month follow up smear and was told by the nurse that results would be 8 weeks! My previous smear was in December and i had the results back 6 weeks (over the christmas period)!!! Should it really take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

I got one done at the hospital (gynae out patients dept), was there for a seperate issue but they do a smear as a matter of proceedure. I was told that if the results were OK then I wouldnt hear anything at all from them. Thought that was a bit wierd:rolleyes:

Im not 25 yet so dont qualify as part of the screening programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

I've just been for a 6 month follow up smear and was told by the nurse that results would be 8 weeks! My previous smear was in December and i had the results back 6 weeks (over the christmas period)!!! Should it really take this long?
    yup, unfortunately it does take this long. i was also in for a 6 month followup last week *shudders to think about it*
    i think they over estimate anyway, but its just 2 weeks more than your last one...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Got one done 2nd July with the Cervical screening programme. Was told it would be 4 weeks so hopefully soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 layla_09

Ask your GP to send it off privately for anyone not willing to wait 4/6 wks. I know my own GP in Dublin is offering them to be sent off privately and results back in a week for €25. Which isnt too bad really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I'm still waiting on my results from the rotunda hospital (im being treated their for abnormal cells). Its now 10 weeks and i'm getting worried :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lolipop2005

I'm not too worried, as i'm 30 and i've had numerous test done at this stage and nothing really worrying has come up but its just you would have thought that the results times would be getting shorter not longer regardless of how many are getting it done but then i suppose that's what happens when the HSE send the samples abroad to get tested!

Snoopy1 - I would be ringing them today, you should have them by now, especially if your about to be/being treated for abnormal cells ((hugs))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I rang the rotunda today and they said my results were in and they were normal.
    This means 3 normal smear tests after my treatment, so i am discharged from the hospital woohoooooo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Got mine today:

'slightly abnormal cellular pattern, however there is no cause for alarm and no treatment is required'

I have to go back in December......:(

Advertisement