Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Party

• 06-04-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hosting a dinner party for my friends birthday tomorrow night. I dont cook much - its only me and a toddler so not much opportunity to try new things. Would really appreciate any suggestions for starters and mains. I'm not afraid to try new things but the more I research recipies the more confused I get!!! Wont be shopping for ingredients till tomorrow morning, so I would love to hear any suggestions that ye have tried and tested!!
    No lamb unfortunitly as one of the guests does not like it (I had planned on doing herb encrusted rack of spring lamb)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Smiles08

There is lots of really good recipes on this forum but to make it easy for you why don't you do something simple yet tasty like Bruschetta for starter - buy some ciabatta and some nice ripe tomatoes can be on or off the vine but make sure they are ripe. Also get some garlic and fresh basil.

Slice the tomatoes and remove the seeds - put in a bowl and add peeled garlic cloves sliced in half. Add some good quality olive oil and some salt and pepper and leave for about 15 mins until flavours have infused. Slice the Ciabatta - one good thick slice is sufficient per person - put on a baking tray and add a little olive oil on each slice. Toast for about ten minutes in the oven and then put the tomato mixture on top and warm through. Don't forget to remove garlic cloves as chomping on raw garlic can be a bit much. Serve with fresh basil leaves on top.

For main - you could cook fish ~(salmon or any nice white fish like Hake/Halibut/lemon sole) in the oven in some greaseproof paper and sealed like a parcel - add some shallots, thinly sliced carrots and peppers and some lemon juice salt and pepper. Should take 12-15 mins depending on size of fish pieces. Probably a nice recipe on here somwhere. Serve with some baby potatoes and a green salad or some baby veg.

I am no good with dessert so always buy it I'm afraid or else serve a cheese plate.

Hope the above helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Thanks, love Bruschetta. Might try that the nest time. Decided a little while ago that I would do stuffed portobello mushrooms for starters and found a recipe 'cheats coq au vin' on the Channel4 website. Desserts gonna be chocolate covered strawberries presented on skewers in a pineapple(looks impressive - but very easy!)
    Hopefully it will go well, really looking forward to it. Its my first time cooking for 6 adults!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we had a few dinner parties recently

the first one

Starter

olives, a selection of cold meats, cheese, a few different types of bread and dipping sauces

mains

home-made chicken kiev with aspergaus (sp?) and roasted veg. the receipe we used is on this forum somewhere

dessert

Cheese Board

Coffee and vodka soaked chocolate chillies

its a recipe i made up so doesnt really have a name

but its mascarpone cheese, whipped cream, sugar, rasberries and orange rind, all mixed up together.

its yummy.

The 2nd one

Starters
    we had stuffed potato skins. bake the potatoes until very crisp, scoop out the middle in to a bowl, we added onions, pepper, bacon pieces and cheese. they re-fill the skins with the mixture, put cheese on top and place back in the oven until the cheese melts

Mains

Encillada's and re-fried beans

Dessert

banoffie

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Coffee and vodka soaked chocolate chillies

Hi Pink fluffu bunny, out of curiosity how do you make these, and are they tasty??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

cooked coq au vin, went down well. Thanks for all the suggestions, will have to another dinner party soon!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi Pink fluffu bunny, out of curiosity how do you make these, and are they tasty??

pfb doesn't make them, I do. :) And I have no idea where she's getting the coffee part from, I used no coffee in the preparation of them.

Three days before the dinner party, say Wednesday evening,, stick some reasonably sized chilis into a bowl and cover with vodka. You have to slit the chilis down the side, and de-seed them too. If you want to remove some of the heat, lash them into some boiling water for about a minute after de-seeding. I recommend doing this.

The day before the dinner party, melt some plain chocolate (70% solids recommended), enough to fill the chilis, and mix in a shot of vodka (not the vodka used to marinade the chilis though), it turns into a kind of paste. Then pipe this into the chilis. You can also use melted white chocolate/vodka mix in some of them to mix things up a bit.

Stick in the freezer for a few hours to set.

Then melt more dark chocolate, and dip the chilis in, covering them about three quarters up, leave the green stem on them so people can pick them up, then arrange on a plate, and back into the fridge.

Don't expect everyone to sample them though.

Chili/chocolate is still a relatively new concept round these parts, but it is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Oh right thanks Des, they sound interesting. Something different anyway!! Think I will give them a lash for my next dinner party. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tip:

If you tell people in advance, everyone will just go

":eek: euuughhhh not even gonna look at them"

just bring them quietly out after the dessert, pop them on the table. Be prepared to eat at least one yourself to show that they aren't poison.

Advertisement