Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat trip out of Cork

Options
  • 06-04-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone taken an organised boat trip out of Cork before ?

I'm looking for recommendations & if anyone's interested in joining in !!

Cheers

Andi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah i have been out in cork harbour and beyond loads of times. I was out last week with a good skipper by the name of finbarr on the 'cuan ban'

there wasnt a lot of fish hopping over the gunwales but that was just down to bad luck. though i did catch my first ever herring! and a couple of plaice and whiting

0866070402 is the number i have for him if yoou want it
    price was about 300e and i think tackle hire was 6e if you needed it, boat will fish 8 in comfort, probably 10 with a few tangles

and if you are going go out for a bash on a weekend, id be pure up for a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers I'll give the guy a buzz & see if I can round up a few ppl - I'm definitely up for it

any joy getting a trip together?

if you are still up for it I can probably +1 or +2 people

mawk wrote: »
    any joy getting a trip together?

if you are still up for it I can probably +1 or +2 people

Nothing yet - been out of it for a week with the lurgy :( but hope to get something sorted soon enough - will pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've gone out with Donal Geary a couple of times - had a great laugh. Conger, cod, mackerel - all the usual suspects. Ideal for a bunch of IT heads who have no idea how to fish :)

• Advertisement

yeah donal is pretty good, he also owns the tackle shop in cobh. knows his stuff! and the john boy is a nice boat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hmmmmm will keep my eye on this thread for the possibility of heading on with ye, im no fisherman but sea fishing is savage craic. t'is hard to get all my mates together at once to go out again so....

Well thats three potentials from here - John Geary looks a good bet - any idea what the optimal number is for a trip on the 'john boy' says max 10, but I dont wanna be hooking people :D

Andip wrote: »
    any idea what the optimal number is for a trip on the 'john boy' says max 10, but I dont wanna be hooking people :D

he'll say 8. I've been out with 8, there's plenty of room. We had 6 one year, we had stacks of space for hauling in conger.

tell him you want a nice turbot!

deRanged wrote: »
    tell him you want a nice turbot!

I dunno about that gravy.. say we get a boat load of 8 and go fishing for turbot, what are the chances of all of us going home with a fish?

better to go for some big ling and conger. chance of some sport

• Advertisement

The turbot thing is a joke. We head down out of UCC each summer for a fishing outing, and usually have one or two people who've never been fishing before (or in some cases never seen the sea). One of them hooked a beautiful turbot last year - they're rare these days outside Cobh. It was a fish most in demand, and the guy who caught it couldn't bring it back to his B&B, so there was a dignified scramble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Hi, just saw your post today. I went fishing out of Ballycotton a few years back and had a good day out. If you are still looking for a crew I'd definately be interested. Could bring one more too. PM me if its a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

since we have a positive response, how about we pick a date?

would people be interested in going next weekend? of the one after?

Advertisement