Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cabinet to be cut in Mini Budget

Options
  • 06-04-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0406/ministers.html

Apparently, this will see the 16/15 members re-appointed.

Obviously a little sweetner, before the perform the hatchet job, or welch on their responsibility, and drive the country further into the mire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Hopefully he will not reappoint that numb skull Conor Lenihan send him to the back benches with his aunty one member of that dynasty ruining the country at a time please.

Although if he does not reappoint sargent maybe the Greens will pull out and in that case I vote sargent to go !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why do we need any of them? This was just a "jobs for the boys" exercise anyway. Are there not enough Civil servants falling over one another in these departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sorry, I moved this to the Budget 09 subforum but it isn't really to do with the budget per se (more related to "the way we govern this country" unless the thread develops that way) so I've moved it back

/self-slaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Darsad wrote: »
    Hopefully he will not reappoint that numb skull Conor Lenihan send him to the back benches with his aunty one member of that dynasty ruining the country at a time please.

Although if he does not reappoint sargent maybe the Greens will pull out and in that case I vote sargent to go !!

Cant imagine them dropping Seargent.

Marie Hocter seems a dead cert for the chop. She has been a bumbling disaster from day one, culminating in the exposure of her inabilitiy to read an autocue.

Mary Wallace. Purely out of spite. That woman is trouble personafied. After all the difficulty she caused after bing dropped in 2004, she deserves it.

Billy Kellegher. His "I really dont care attitude has begun to grate on me"

Conr Lenihan : Nuff said

Dick Roche : For failing miserably on Lisbon I

Martin Cullen : Demote him completely, and bring another into the Arts Sport and Tourism portfolio, while not filling the relevant junior minister of state position

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well it could be treated as an opportunity to dump as many Bertie appointees as possible. Maybe he'll even take the S&P comment to heart and bring in some new faces. God knows they need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Alas, not having Dick Roche as Minister for Europe for Lisbon II is maybe too much to hope for.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Conor Lenihan aleady indicated that he would give up the job if asked, so he might go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Here’s a very funny article by Shaun Connolly of the Irish Examiner:
    JUNIOR ministers were last night scampering like lemmings to dive over the cliff of political expediency.

The plunge will see five of them disappear on the rocks of public anger as 15 resurface and scamper back to the shore just in time for a rubdown from their taxpayer-funded chauffeurs and a helicopter ride back to the ministry of perks and pampering.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/ididgbcwoj/rss2/

I think it would be better if all twenty of them disappeared, never to resurface :D!!
    They all get to re-apply and the lucky 15 will be returned in more specifically defined roles on April 22 — that’s still three more juniors than Fine Gael say is needed, but it will at least do something to assuage public disquiet that each minister costs €500,000 a year in wages, expenses and support staff.

Shame it took so long for the Taoiseach to wake up and smell the anger.

I don’t think many voters will be too impressed with this miserable attempt at government cuts!

:rolleyes:;):eek::cool::rolleyes:!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"Marie Hocter seems a dead cert for the chop."

In a reasonable government she would, But FF usually tend to put electoral exigencies before what's right. If a sensitive constituency needs coddling and massaging, then the Minister or MOS from that area will stay in even if he or she is the most incompetent chancer going.
    I'd nominate young Haughey for the chop too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

The Raven. wrote: »
    I don’t think many voters will be too impressed with this miserable attempt at government cuts!
    :rolleyes:;):eek::cool::rolleyes:!!!!!

Ah no this is a govt. scam - Biffo will look after them. They'll get another job somewhere else (when they think the voting public aren't looking) they won't have nice titles like 'Junior Minister for Tea and Biscuits.' It will mean though that their remuneration is untouched.

Riv

• Advertisement
Advertisement