Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Predictions 2009 - Post them here!

Options
  • 13-03-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Could you be Finance Minister in the Irish Government?

Post your predictions for Budget 2009 here and see who gets it right!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

my predictions for budget:

Income (lower rate) : 21.5%
    Income (Higher rate): 48%

Cigs to stay the same
    Petrol up 7c
    booze up 3/5c

Child benefit/carers allowance cut.

dole= unchanged.

massive pay increases for the government. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

There won't be an raise in tax, but more likely in income levies (I'm going to hazard a guess at an increase to 2.5%), or so the Irish Times tells me.. I think a lot of welfare will be cut, most likely child welfare, maybe little things like free travel for carers. Cigarettes up by aroud 25c, obviously alcohol too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Smokes up by 10%
    Fuel up by 15-20c
    Drink up 10%
    1000 euro per child "gift" ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Crap loads of money to IBEC and the CIF paid for through extra levies in lieu of taxes next year.

Come Wednesday people from Kerry will be driving to Newry to take advantage in savings on petrol, smokes and booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Booze up very little if anything at all. The booze lobby is strong and they actually have a point this time that jobs would be lost if prices go up even more. That and people will be travelling north instead.

Income levy doubled

Social Welfare down be ~3%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Overall:

An underwhelming budget that does as little as possible to rock the boat and doesn't address the structural problems in any significant way. Changes totaling €3.5-4bn, while at the same time the gap has increased by up to €10bn since the last budget. Will be claimed as a fair budget designed to share pain and bring us back to recovery. Will actually be none of those things. Absolutely no future planning or acknowledgment of past mistakes.

Expenditure:

Seriously underwhelming cuts here. Cuts to junior ministries of a notional €500k.

Dept Health will come up with €3-500m in cuts (and only later reveal, as is discussed in the Emergency Services Forum, that emergency rooms in regional hospitals are cutting out night shifts etc).

Maybe €100m in other cuts.

No mention whatsoever will be made about the fact that the cost of debt and social welfare has balloned in the last few months and looks likely to increase over the next few.

Income:

Income levies doubled to 2x, 4x and 6x same thresholds. They will claim this will bring in €2bn but I have my doubts.

10c on beer, 20c on 20 smokes. Maybe a few cent on wine and spirits. Announce plan to prevent below cost selling in off licences and I wouldn't put it past them to exempt pubs from the increased excise (thus showing their true FF colours yet again).

Just to be controversial, I'll say Vat back to 21% standard and 10% for builders.

I wouldn't put it past them to put DIRT up to 25% or introduce a higher DIRT rate for high earners.

No talk of getting rid of tax exemptions or closing loopholes.

There isn't really much else they can do mid year.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

i reckon you could be spot on with the DIRT increase johnnyskeleton

possibly some CGT and CAT % and rule changes too

cant do much midyear else except up the levies and up the excise on the old reliables. ( i think the levies might increase more than people think!)
    ...the hinting at tax rate increases next year.

reduction of all social welfare payments by at least 3% possibly 5%
    (21bn on SW needs to be trimmed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

If social welfare isn't cut, they can't widen the tax base. There would be no point in working for very little, then get taxed on it when you can claim generous social welfare. So social welfare has to be cut or else don't widen the tax base.

Petrol is going up now, tonight it was 1.08 in my local garage. I really hope he doesn't increase that by much.

I heard rumours the early childcare supplement is going to be done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Petrol - 10c min up.
    Cigarettes - 20c min.
    Alcohol - 10% approx.
    Carers free travel - gone.
    State pensions - -€10.
    Dole - -€15-20.
    Children's Allowance - -€16.
    Carers Allowance - -€10.
    Early Childhood supplement - Goodbye!!!!!!! (€1100 pa).
    Colleges Fees - Hello!!!!
    College Grants - -€250 - half grant recipients
    -€500 - full grant recipients

Hang-on should we be discussing this tonight, No doubt if Cowen and the lads saw this, we could actually be giving them ideas!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Slight reduction in minimum wage(or is that impossible?) and dole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I predict a massive give-away budget.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I predict a massive give-away budget.

who are we giving to country away to?:pac:

Petrol - 10c min
    Cigarettes - 50c
    Alcohol - 10% approx.
    Carers free travel - gone.
    State pensions - same
    Dole - -€20.
    Carers Allowance - -€10.
    Early Childhood supplement - totally Gone
    Colleges Fees - fees (means tested)
    49b24703f44a3202ee02c9f0d182d950.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The levey will double.
    There will be a new band for those over 100,000 that will pay 60% tax
    There will be a plan for fees to be introduced within 24 months.
    Child benifits will be hit.
    Free travel for OAP could be gone.
    Welfare to be cut or at least allowances to be cut back.
    Vat to be dropped to 18%
    5c on Petrol
    10c on the pint
    VRT to go up aswell as road tax.

TBH where are they going to come up with 3.5 Billion? People are going to be pissed and the medical card thing will seem like a pub fight compared to the demos that will follow this budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Agree with most of above plus 10c on diesel due because its far cheaper then petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

anyone notice the sindo had 3 seperate articles and PICTURES OF RIOTS in their paper this weekend along with predictions of civil unrest and riots and disturbances and comparisons to iceland and article from military contractor mcevaddy.

subtle as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Agree with most of the comments here.
    Old reliables up, diesel by more. Childcare supplement may even go, but definitely down by 50%. It will go next year. Higher levies this year, tax increases next year. That text tax.

Most important thing IMO is the plan. In fact I think it's crucial.
    I expect to see detailed comments on

Plan for Deficit Reduction
    Child Benefit
    Overall Social welfare payments
    "Toxic Loans" Bank Plan
    Tax Exiles
    NDP or what'll be left of it
    Closing Tax loopholes
    Stimulus Spending- IMO high on aspiration and low on actual projects, ideas
    Tax on excessive doommongering(;))
    Public Sector Reform - another one high on aspiration but designed to give the right impression

I also reckon we'll have another budget before time as well, most likely September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

This government are too scared to adjust spending by much. Too scared to tackle the unions. They may introduce changes to employment contracts but they will only affect new entrants.

Temporary levies introduced instead of tax increases. Levies will be scrapped in January and then replaced with tax increases. Will be announced as a tax increase and the equivalent in a levy format.

As a media friendly sop to the public they will announce cuts in TD pay (around 5 to 8%) cuts in ministers pay of around 10 to 12%, stop paying ministers pensions to serving TD's. This is on top of the cut in junior ministers. Total saving will be a couple of million or so a drop in the bucket.

Levies will be increased and announced as temporary to be replaced with tax increases in January. They will be announced bot as a levy and the equivalent tax increase. Levy for those on higher pay will double while those on lower pay will see a 50% increase. The minimum wage exemption will remain.

Employees PRSI to increase by 1 to 2%, employers PRSI to be cut or a 1 to 2 year exemption put in place for new employees or for companies in trouble.

Minimum wage will drop (well should drop but have they the guts ?)

Social welfare. Child benefit to be means tested.
    early childcare supplement to be cut or means tested.
    Job seekers allowance \ dole to be cut by 2 to 3%
    Big clamp down on false claims and increased restrictions on who is entitled to payment.

Carbon tax an petrol, diesel, heating oil etc. May replace a portion of excise but will be a higher.

Old reliables of cigs and drink will little or no increase only a fool would promote smuggling and create a new income stream for the criminal gangs. (but then going on past experience they could do anything) ban on below cost selling of alcohol. New restrictions on off licences.

Even after the budget the deficit will be accepted to be about 10.5%

In 3 to 4 months the government will announce that the budget increases have not brought in the extra revenue that was forecast nor have the made the savings that were forecast and the true deficit will be closer to 11 or 11.5 %. Election will be called and it will be left to the new non FF government to implement a totally draconian budget to try and resolve matters. A budget that need never have happened if the current shower had introduced a realistic budget last year instead of the cowardly attempt that they did implement.

New government will face public outcry when their budget is implemented. There will be a massive increase in the support for both the hard right (any immigrants, anti minorities etc) and the hard left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Cowen on a bike ... would do him a world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

knipex wrote: »
    Minimum wage will drop (well should drop but have they the guts ?)

Job seekers allowance \ dole to be cut by 2 to 3%
    These would have to happen in line with each other. I could survive easily on the dole. Own-brand food is extremely cheap these days, all the talk of food packages and being on the "bread line" was a joke. You can get a lot of food & drink now cheaper than they were in the 80's.

I think they will try and get some distinction between off licence alcohol sales and pub ones. They want to keep their publicans mates in business. I think there was some talk of a separate off sales levy before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

my prediction is that they will take the politically easier but economically more foolish option of jacking up taxes substantially and only tinkering with spending at the margins

what they should be doing is cutting spending dramtically and keeping taxes low. Public sector wages are too high relative to our competitors, SW benefits are too high, we have too many quangos and we waste too much money. Sorting this out would provide long-term benefits but this shower of criminals would never have the fortitude required to do this, ffs a shower of well-off grannies sent them trembling back into the Dail last September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

It appears to me that the easiest way to reduce government expenditure is to reduce the amount going out on social welfare, or get something out of it. Unemployed people are capable of working.

Why not put them to work?

So the State gets something back for it's money. I'm talking basic infrastructure jobs. Road-works, rail-works. Stuff that needed to be done during the Celtic tiger but was passed over in favour of pet projects.

500,000 people out of work is a lot of idle manpower. the US built the Hoover dam with that sort of Manpower.

A bridge to England? Dublin-Cork motorway/high-speed Rail?

But... nope. They won't do that. Because that's what the British tried during the famine... and everybody knows how well that went...

Or we can lure them all to the one place under the guise of a tax-inspection, freeze them suddenly in Glycol, load the lot of them onto DC-8's and drop them into a volcano. A few Hydrogen bombs should finish that wall of fire...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Petrol - 20c min
    Cigarettes - €1.00
    Alcohol - 10% approx.
    Carers free allowence - 3/5% reduction.
    State pensions - don't know.
    Dole - -€20.
    Early Childhood supplement - Gone
    Colleges Fees - fees (means tested)

Social welfare - THE BIGGIE for some - postponed till next year.
    This will be done as to further sneak in additional cuts once those on benefits are already used to the cuts that will come today!

The government knows quite well that they can handle better bouts of small quieter anger than at present one BIG huge one that actually just might bring them down.
    ...so they will do things incrementally over a period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If they put up the price of alcohol/cigs, it will really show how stupid they are. Obviously they never heard of Northern Ireland.

I bet they won't tackle the public sector, they are afraid of the unions and everyone else will be taxed to pay for them hence depressing economic activity and further reducing revenues to record lows, its back to the 80's again.

I suspect they will reduce social welfare a bit but will not touch the pensioners as after all they vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Biggins wrote: »
    Petrol - 20c min

I agree that it is most likely going to happen but it would be sooo foolish as on the back of it everything will go up (transport costs). This will drive inflation and by the time the oil price goes up again we'll be paying 2 Euro for a liter.

Petrol outrages me, oil price is still $50, the dollar is at 1.32735 for a Euro and still prices at the pumps are creeping back up. If the government adds to this we're fvcked, they only added 8 Cent not so long ago. If they add another 10 Cent they'd be responsible for a 20% increase in less than 6 months which is insane as one of our big problems are inflated prices and also the country depends on road transport as there is no other infrastructure to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ok, probably not as radical as some here seem to like but:

Changes to capital gains, up about 10%
    Child benefit capped
    Early childcare means tested
    jobseekers benefit cut by 10%
    massive cuts to quangos.
    NDP on hold.
    tax bands tightened, will bring more of the lower paid into play
    2% increase on both income tax brachets.
    Levy on those earning €100k and above (1% at a guess)
    Property tax of 0.25% of market value introduced on all private houses, commercial exemption for now.
    car tax up 5% on all bands
    scrappage scheme introduced on cars 7 years or older.
    Petrol etc up 5c per litre.
    2c levy on phone texts.
    Cigs and drink up a token as mentioned above - smuggling
    Vat reduced to 17.5%
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

dresden8 wrote: »
    Come Wednesday people from Kerry will be driving to Newry to take advantage in savings on petrol, smokes and booze.

Now so........which road leaves Kerry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought Dermot Ahern said something on The Week in Politics to FG about not increasing tax on petrol? I only heard it in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Things that will be implemented straight away
    The old reliables will all go up.
    The levy increased to 2% and 4%

Honestly i cant see them touching the dole this time but i can see them announcing a big change in the way it's paid out next year. Example, back to work schemes instead of the dole where people are unemployed. Also i can see stricter checks on people claiming social welfare to reduce fraudulent claims.

Children's allowance will not be reduced but again it will be announced that from next year it's going to be means tested.

Early childcare allowance will be paid out similar to medical expenses. Submit your expenses for the year and a % will be paid back to you for the childcare. This again will not be set in play till next year.

Tax band shortening and tax rate increases as of next year as i dont think they can do it mid year.

Cant see them reducing the minimum wage or it will put more people on the dole.

All in all i think we're just going to get fair warning for whats coming next year. I really dont think their going for more than €3.5 / 4 billion in this budget and that shouldint be too hard to find.

The question is, will whatever they do be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement