Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses to improve my skills?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been designing websites now for years but I've never received any formal training, just whatever I've taught myself over the years. A lot of what I do is editing existing php code and chopping and changing to get what I'm looking for. I've become very comfortable messing around with code.

I've a few projects in mind and I've see some great sites that are very well designed with all the layout nicely organised in the css (I'm still mostly using tables).

Does anyone recommend any courses I could do to really bring me up to the next level, and maybe to a career in this area?
    I'm free now until probably September - summer jobs are thin on the ground.

I'd like to...
    • Learn how to program some php pages to interact with a database. Maybe design a basic CMS or forum type site eventually.
    • Learn how to really use css to its full potential.
    • Have my code sorted neatly according to current standards.
    And would you recommend me doing a course for this or would I be better off teaching myself using online tutorials?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The open university have courses but you may have to did around a bit to find exactly what you want. They are a bit pricey but it's a proper qualification. Most web design courses are very basic but depending where you are in the country you might have a better pick.

Here's a foundation course
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01C47

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd recommend this book for a start. It's perfect for you:
    http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/

As a general tip, i'd consider whether you're more interested in the design side or the dev side. If it's the dev side, and you want to move into this full time, then some kind of course in Computer Science or programming would be very good. If it's the design, then some kind of part-time art class wouldbe good as well reading and learning all you can about design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    The open university have courses but you may have to did around a bit to find exactly what you want. They are a bit pricey .....

Thanks for the link. Yeah much too pricey I'm afraid. I'm a student (engineering) so aint got that sort of cash. Checking out their course structure and inserting online tutorials for each topic might be a good plan though.... :cool:
    p wrote: »
    I'd recommend this book for a start. It's perfect for you:
    http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/

As a general tip, i'd consider whether you're more interested in the design side or the dev side. If it's the dev side, and you want to move into this full time, then some kind of course in Computer Science or programming would be very good. If it's the design, then some kind of part-time art class wouldbe good as well reading and learning all you can about design.

Always found books for programming a bit strange - I'm more of a copy, paste and try kinda guy. I will definately check one out though. I'll first have a look in the college library and see if they've something similar to that.

Not sure about the design vs development side actually. I do really enjoy both. I've done a bit of programming in my course (C++ and Fortran) and did quite well. I really enjoy playing with code until I get it to work. On the other side I like the design side of it too - I'm into photography quite a bit and would consider myself fairly creative. The development side is something I'd like to learn more of at the moment I think - it's easier to get a structured learning plan for it I imagine.

Advertisement