Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Urban Beauty, Urban Blight: Cork" - Newstalk 5th April 2009

Options
  • 06-04-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I was wondering did anybody hear the programme "Urban Beauty, Urban Blight" on Newstalk last night?

I was driving from Cork to Dublin and having recently accepted a four year contract back home in Cork I was starting to have some second thoughts about leaving Dublin/

It was funny to be thinking like that when this programme came on. It was a really well produced show examining the architecture and planning of Cork city, new developments and thoughts for the future with contributions from Eddie Hobbs, Deirdre Clune, Alan Shortt and others.

It made me realise that sometimes we don't appreciate that with which we are overly familiar. The programme highlighted many advantages Cork has over Dublin; it's compact size, it's organised planning, it's unique architectural heritage, the exciting new buildings such as the Glucksman, the Civic Offices and the new School of Music. It also examined the plans to redevelop the docklands; although in the current economic climate one wonders how quickly these plans will proceed.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a podcast of the show on iTunes
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=53022462&id=268117291

I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in life in Cork city, Cork architecture and future planning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the link, I'll defiantly check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Cheers, I think I'll send this onto all my buddies that have gone up to Dublin. Which is pretty much everyone :(
    Need new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Bill-e wrote: »
    Cheers, I think I'll send this onto all my buddies that have gone up to Dublin. Which is pretty much everyone :(
    Need new friends.

They'll come back, don't worry. A lot of people need to go to Dublin to get their career started, the jobs just don't exist in Cork. A good percentage will come back eventually after 4 or 5 years with a bit of luck. That's what I've found anyway, needed to leave myself for a while (not to Dublin, thank god ;) ), eventually made it back. Same for a lot of my friends and associates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Is this podcast working for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Is this podcast working for anyone?

I was trying to get it from Newstalk's own podcast page here but the link for the file is broken. I've emailed them to see if it can be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Sorry, I didn't check the link before I posted it.

I'll be on the lookout for old and new friends when I come back in July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 athenamedia

Hi - just noticed your comments - we made the series so glad to hear you were listening....its part of a four part series Dublin, Cork, this weekend its Limerick and finally Galway. Cork did come out the best of all four cities for urban planning - the podcasts are on itunes newstalk documentaries but we'll also put them on www.podcastingireland.ie shortly....athenamedia

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 athenamedia

Hi
    yes....this weekend its Limerick - and the podcasts are now online on www.podcastingireland.ie next week its Galway....spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Nice one. Just downloaded it there and I'll listen to it at lunch. Beats listening to the news anyways:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement