Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play guitar, advice

Options
  • 06-04-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

hey guys,
    wanna start learin to play guitar soon, when my schedule frees up a bit.
    was lookin for some advice on what kinda guitar i should invest in?
    im into rock/metal for example; zeppelin, metallica, soad, tool that kinda of stuff, so i would imagine an electric is the way to go. however a friend of mine says its easier to start learnin on an acoustic!!
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi mate,

first just let me say good choice to start learning, its tough for the first few weeks but stick at it and it wil be one of the best decisions you ever make!

You should definitly go for an electric if thats the stuff you want to play, saying that its easier to learn on an acoustic is complete nonsence in my opinion. If thats the type of music you want to play youll have to learn some techniques that wont work well on an acoustic.

I would say buy a les paul, dont spend too much for your 1st guitar. get yourself an amp that has distortion on it and thats all youll need for the first few months!

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

cheers king-stew!
    watch this space!!:pac:

can anyone recommend a gud guitar? budget between say 200-300?
    or a good shop in the leinster area?

Probably no need to spend that much to see if playing guitar is right for you, try this instead:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hb-l400cs_gitarre.htm

its very cheap and you might be wary but the reviews are excellent for the price:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Harley+Benton/HBL400CS+Les+Paul/10/1

The creative bundle for €132 on the first site is perfect for a begginer!

If you ever got to the stage where you were pretty handy at the guitar, you could use this one for a project as a lot of us do with their cheap guitars so it doesnt go to waste! swap out all the electric parts for better ones and get a pretty good sounding guitar but for the moment you wont be able to hear the differences between good tones and not so good ones so this guitar is perfect etc etc so enjoy!

BTW for 200-300 you still wont get anything that sounds particularly amazing so no need to spend that much at the mo!

cool!thanks for all the help!
    lookin forward to gettin into it,startin from absolutely no knowledge at all, so should be fun!
    i can imagine me getting fairly addicted!

• Advertisement

fcleere wrote: »
    startin from absolutely no knowledge at all!

Happens to the best of us! :D

fcleere wrote: »
    cool!thanks for all the help!
    lookin forward to gettin into it,startin from absolutely no knowledge at all, so should be fun!
    i can imagine me getting fairly addicted!

You wont have to imagine if you stick with it, you will be addicted.

Just remember your gonna be p1ssed off at first, i played mine for 2 weeks, then left it in the corner for 2 weeks and thank god i picked it back up!

funnily enough the first song i learned to play was SOAD's aerials! and now im a huge zeppelin fan.

The way to stay motivated is to try learn the songs you like all the time, dont get too bogged down with any theory yet or youll just drain yourself and seriously just enjoy it, takes about 6 months to be ok so have fun!

Oh and dont play just after you washed your hands if you value your fingertips at all! ;)

your progression of music is similiar too mine.
    always wanted to play an instrument, and my recent zep fascination gave me the push i needed!
    haha i can imagine,the fingertips are tougher than most after months upon months of sandpaper usage!

Advertisement