Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one year working visa

Options
  • 06-04-2009 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am approaching my 31 birthday I have no ties no mortage so I am thinking of going to aus for the year before its too late and before I regret it .

Where does one go to apply for the visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Which visa should I apply for? I currenty work in a lab/pharmaceutical type job and my sole aim is to work in a similar job in Aus. I am not going down the back packer route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Which visa should I apply for? I currenty work in a lab/pharmaceutical type job and my sole aim is to work in a similar job in Aus. I am not going down the back packer route

http://www.immi.gov.au/

The site is reasonably user-friendly. Should get some useful advice on what visa is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

WHV visa will give you a year visa - you must apply before your 31, and will be granted usually within a few days

if you go for skilled visa - will take 9-12 months.

WHV will give you the opportunity to work in any job for up to 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Per Petterson

I applied for a 1 year WHV visa last night and had it by this morning:):) I didn know it was that quick or easy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I work in a similar area, and found it next to impossible while in Sydney and Melbourne to get jobs in those areas.... and i have years of experience :(

Brisbane had a few jobs but are outside of the city and public transport doesnt got to those areas, so if you ahve a car, you'd be in good shape. Herron pharm are outside Brissy, would be good to get in there if you can, I had no transport in Brisbane due to being broke and unable to work in Mel and Syd, so had all my savings spent :(

Do you plan on just staying one year? Let all interviewers know you would like to stay longer in the role, and that you would accept sponsorship should the opportunity arise. Despite the fact you are not doing the whole backpacker thing, your visa is an impingement, and companies, I found, did not really want to waste time training people in lab techniques and quality systems etc, if the visa was only allowing them 6 months in the one company, and the company was not in a position to offer sponsorship...

Sure pm if you need any info, have numbers for some recruitment companies from Mel and brisbane still :)

Advertisement