Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Instructor

• 06-04-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all....

This is my first post so I hope I have put it in the right section!!

My question is this: Has anybody here successfully completed the RSA Approved Driving Instructor course? If so, are you working and more importantly earning a living?

I'm giving it serious thought and and see it as a path to owning my own business.

Thanks a mill...

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

The first thing about becoming a driving instructor is you need to have a realistic expectation of the potential earnings and how that relates to your needs (say in terms of paying a mortgage, family costs etc). You'll see some adverts for training saying 'earn up to 70K etc', dont just accept these as facts. Its possible to earn 70K but in reality its highly unlikely.

You will need to be flexible in terms or working hours - possible early mornings, late evenings and definitely weekends. You may need to work 7 days a week. Even so its unlikely you will be fully booked every day so be realistic and assume say 3-4 lessons per day for 6 days a week (even that level of business is very good on a consistent basis :-) )

So 3 lessons * 6 days == 18 lessons a week
    18 lessons * €35 (about the avg now) == €630
    Assume 4 weeks holidays in the years gives you 48 * €630 == €30,240

So, this is just an estimate, could be +/- 50% I'd say. Talk to some instructors in your area - if there is little or no competition then it could be a very good business but if you are in an area with a lot of competition it will take time to be become established and gain a reputation (hopefully a good one :))

Things to factor in to your decision.

1. The €30K is turnover and is not the same as a PAYE job paying €30K salary. Out of the €30K you will need to pay for your car, the petrol, insurance, training courses etc. Granted some of this is tax deductible but you will generally still end up with less from your €30K than if you were in a straight PAYE job.

2. While you may do 3 lessons per day it does not mean you are only 'working' 3 hours, there will be time spent collecting people, waiting for people etc. Your 3 lessons could mean a 5-6 hour day at least so your effective hourly income is more like €15-€20 per hour.

3. Some weeks will be busier than others so you are not guaranteed a set level of income per week/per month. You may earn €1000 a week in the summer and only €250 a week in Nov/Dec.

4. The most important point is I guess you need to like driving, you need patience, be calm and generally enjoy the work. If you are not enjoying it then it is not worth the money.

5. There are some significant startup costs to the business. You need a suitable (i.e. generally small and realitively new) car with dual controls. You will need to do the RSA ADI 3 stage assessment which in itself costs €800 plus factor in whatever training you decide on - ranges from self taught (about €200) to courses for over €2000. There are other smaller costs like stationary, advertising, web page if you want one, training aids etc etc.

If you want any more info feel free to PM me and I can give you more specifics on my experience etc.

Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paulie1981

Thanks donegalfella and driveskill for replying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

It may be beneficial to try it part time as aooposed to full time. If you have a FT job then all you need is a few evenings a week or a weekend day and its a nice boost to your income. It also means if you have cancellations or a quiet week that ot doesnt effect you too much as you have a main incme to fall back on. You also may not like instructing so its a good way to test the water.

Also when you start off its hard to build up a client base. Say you get 2 new pupils a week that means it will take 9 weks to build up to 18 lessons a week if they bookonce a week, another reason why PT may be the best option initially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SteQ

Changes coming in soon. Instructor training will only be allowed with companies approved by the RSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

We can probably see monopolies coming up in the future then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Hi Folks,

Considering changing career due to redundancy:(

I've seen some driving schools advertise to train you as an instructor but my question is, are all these positions work for yourself/franchise?

If direct employment exists, does anyone have experience of it/comments.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

dobsdave wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Considering changing career due to redundancy:(

I've seen some driving schools advertise to train you as an instructor but my question is, are all these positions work for yourself/franchise?

If direct employment exists, does anyone have experience of it/comments.

Thanks

Most if not all of these ads are for franchises. Expect to pay about €1500 €2000 for a training course. It'll cost about €850 to complete the ADI exams, And you will not be guaranteed work at the end of it all. So go in with your eyes open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi brian076 and dobsdave don't forget the car and insurance:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement