Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit Picking and outdoor jobs in oz!

Options
  • 06-04-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am 20 and planning to travel to oz alone early next month and was wondering where the the best place to get a fruit picking job is?? I have a friend in brisbane and would like to spend a week or 2 here first. Is there any places near there to get a job fruit picking? Any help wud be appreciated:):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 la mar

hey, a town called gatton is close to their and has alot of picking to be done. worth a shot. you wouldn´t wanna stay there too long tho I dont reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Per Petterson

la mar wrote: »
    hey, a town called gatton is close to their and has alot of picking to be done. worth a shot. you wouldn´t wanna stay there too long tho I dont reckon

Why Is it very quiet or something?? thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I picked Zuchinni's in Bundaberg - further up Queensland for almost 2 months...

Its good $$ but damn hard work - as a town Bundaberg was god awful but we still have a good laugh remembering the time there

Ayr in Northern Queensland is meant to be a nice place to pick fruit - wasnt there, only heard reports from some that were

Another option is picking apples (i think) in Mildura which is in Victoria - lots of irish seemingly, who are getting the 3 months picking for the 2nd year visa

Its character building, thats for sure.... but that said i would recommend it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

anyone know of fruit picking work in or around cairns?the cloest i can find is in tully which is about 2 hours south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

If you are in Brisbane then head to Base Backpackers. They have a Job Desk there. It will cost you around $50 but the guy will hook you up with a fruit picking job. It is the easiest way, obviously coz you pay for the service, you could be sent to Bundaberg or some other random place inland from Brisbane. Personally I ended up in some god awful town called Stanthorpe. Don't expect to arrive in a great place - the work and the hours will be terrible but this usually results in all the workers getting on great and you will have great craic with the other backpackers as you will eat, sleep and work with them all the time. It's an experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greenline

There is a free Fruitpickers phoneline you can ring and they will tell you where the work is.
    Ring 1300 720 126 (not sure if it works from outside Aus- try +61 in front of it- if not get your friend to ring for you?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Per Petterson

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I think ill try book into that base backpackers hostel and go from dere.

Advertisement