Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis Revisited in General

Options
  • 06-04-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

1. The taxi industry is unique in that it is a regulated service industry supplied by self employed individuals, it cannot work like any other retail/service industry BECAUSE it is price regulated as well as quality regulated and as such all the arguments about why should the taxi industry have a temporary moratorium unlike any other industry like newsagents etc. is because it isn’t allowed to run to normal economic models.

High demand/short supply= higher price
    Low demand/excess supply= lower price

If you want to treat it the same as any other industry, survival of the fittest, then let it run like any other industry

2. Taxi drivers want a temporary moratorium on plates followed by a full review of the industry because there are too many anomalous situations with regard to who is working, which area(s) they are working in, which cars will be allowed as taxis after 1.1.2012, what training / testing is going to be done for drivers, what enforcement is going to be carried out, who is going to carry out the enforcement, what guarantees do non union aligned taxi drivers have that there points of view are even listened to, who is going to take responsibility for non Dublin taxis when the Taxi Regulators office is amalgamated with Dublin 21 transport, why a one size fits all solution is seen as the only way forward when different areas of the country need different solutions

3. The meter does NOT clock up units at a different rate when on a motorway as the units are distance not speed, it may seem that the meter is incrementing at a greater rate but that is only because you are covering a measured unit in a shorter time. Also despite assertions that the cost of a taxi fare from the Airport to Ballymun is nearly double when using the M50 as against the side road of the airport €15 against €28 is totally unfounded as I measured both routes ( using the Airport Roundabout and The Days Inn as datum points ) and the costs were €11.45 via the M50 on rate B and €10.25 on rate B via the side road of the airport, this would seem to suggest either an exaggeration by the poster or the taxi that the poster used has a significant difference in the set meter rate to my own ( my own I know was calibrated and sealed within the last 60 days and the fares I normally do have shown no increase) so my thoughts would be that mine is still within calibration.
    receipts.png
    Scan of receipts from journey

4. For whatever relevance it has I didn't enter the industry until 2004 and so wouldn't classify myself as someone who has an interest in seeing plate prices increase which is why I am an advocate of removing the transferability of plates BUT with the number of plates available for re-release back onto the market (after retirements etc.) set by market conditions, so that new entrants have the ability to earn a wage AND reinvest in new quality initiatives for the industry.

5. I am also an advocate that all taxis should (eventually) be less than 5 years old, be VRT free for full time taxi drivers, which would mean that if you want to have a taxi just to drive in the bus lanes to your office job and then work a few hours when you need a new set of golf clubs then you couldn't, and that they have a unique registration plate
    e.g. 09TX12345
    to allow Gardai to be able to effectively police clone plates and the age of vehicles, also given that the license details are on the yellow stickers it would allow the removal of the present un-aerodynamic roof signs, I believe the TR did do a report back in 2004 that the drag caused by this style of roof sign significantly affects fuel consumption. In addition to this if the taxi was reregistered for public use then the VRT would become payable, the intended effect of this would be to stop people coming into the industry for short periods of time to earn a fast buck as they would have to pay the VRT on leaving the industry as the license wouldn't be transferable.

6. Double Jobbing, in an economic downturn people who double job, just to pay for the luxuries in life are a leech on the people who are trying to pay for the necessities. They also have a direct effect on the destabilization of the taxi industry and fail to allow it to find equilibrium. It’s like having two birthday parties with cake and dividing it up between the people at each party, then some people from the 1st party decide that they’ll go and get cake from the other party because their equal slice wasn’t enough. Not to mention the questionable effect of people working for a week and then doing a weekends work driving the public around.

7. Taxi driving should be minimum wage, an interesting concept and to be honest, if I was guaranteed to get minimum wage, with the money to pay for the upgrades, maintenance of car etc. Then I would certainly consider doing it, however, as the taxi driver is self employed and also has to budget for holiday pay, sickness, unpaid enforced time of the road etc. Then minimum wage wouldn’t cover it.

8. Taxi drivers driving abilities or lack of, taxi drivers are a cross section of the Irish population and if you removed the visible signs of a vehicle being a taxi you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from that of the general populace, there is a large majority of people in Ireland who shouldn’t even be allowed to ride a bike, never mind attempt to drive a car. I would say though that one thing the Taxi Regulators office does need to look at though is the thought train of certain drivers to get in front of other drivers at any cost, perhaps this is now more apparent due to the overall competition for fares out there.

9. Discounted Fares. Because the business model of taxiing is based on a 1st seen 1st taken methodology, it’s very difficult for a single driver to differentiate themselves from the “crowd”, you may well be able to offer discounts from a company perspective and increase the amount of business generated for a percentage of drivers on that company’s radio system but it doesn’t help with the general taxi model of someone flagging a taxi down on the street. I would wonder though at the wisdom of companies reducing fares for telephone bookings whilst not reducing the costs to their customers. (Taxi drivers are the radio company’s customers, the public are the taxi driver’s customers and the radio company are a facilitator to allow the two to meet) Having spoken to personal freinds who drive for the company the jury is still out on the matter as they haven't seen the increase in business that was forecast.

10. Ranks. I would contend that due to the inherent danger of the Taxi Regulators advice to select any vehicle at a rank that it should be immediately rescinded. I’ve seen it with my own eyes where an intending passenger has gone to get into the vehicle 3 or 4 places from the front, when the queue has moved up with the result that the passenger ended up on the floor, luckily so far no one’s gone under the wheels!, I also contend that the advice gives an opportunity to the racist elements of society to avoid using cars based on race rather than on quality
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Spook_ie mentioned yesterday that this was coming.

This is a mod note.

Taxi related threads have, latterly, tended to become very fractious as people tend to have entrenched positions.

This is an upfront warning. Any one posting out of hand, trolling, abusing, ignoring the charter, no matter how valid their point, will be banned for two weeks. I would like not to have to close this one.

I'd like to see this thread be educational on both sides.

End of mod note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Spook_ie wrote: »

8. Taxi drivers driving abilities or lack of, taxi drivers are a cross section of the Irish population and if you removed the visible signs of a vehicle being a taxi you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from that of the general populace, there is a large majority of people in Ireland who shouldn’t even be allowed to ride a bike, never mind attempt to drive a car. I would say though that one thing the Taxi Regulators office does need to look at though is the thought train of certain drivers to get in front of other drivers at any cost, perhaps this is now more apparent due to the overall competition for fares out there.

9. Discounted Fares. Because the business model of taxiing is based on a 1st seen 1st taken methodology, it’s very difficult for a single driver to differentiate themselves from the “crowd”, you may well be able to offer discounts from a company perspective and increase the amount of business generated for a percentage of drivers on that company’s radio system but it doesn’t help with the general taxi model of someone flagging a taxi down on the street. I would wonder though at the wisdom of companies reducing fares for telephone bookings whilst not reducing the costs to their customers. (Taxi drivers are the radio company’s customers, the public are the taxi driver’s customers and the radio company are a facilitator to allow the two to meet) Having spoken to personal freinds who drive for the company the jury is still out on the matter as they haven't seen the increase in business that was forecast.

some good points made in your post - particularly about the motorway issue, the meter ticks up faster as you drive faster. However, I have noticed recently some taxis I have been in slowing down as they approach traffic lights hoping for a red to pick up an extra waiting "tick" on the meter.

The two points quoted above are a weaker part of your argument. Taxi drivers should have better standards of driving than the general public. Unfortunately in my experience (as variously another driver, cyclist, motorcyclist and public transport user) their skills appear worse. Only knocked down twice in fifteen years cycling and motorcycling - both times by taxi drivers who changed their mind and didn't indicate.

Also well done to the taxi companies offering discounts. I am using them for all personal taxi travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Some interesting information here, thanks.

I still predict this thread will go down the toilet, but I hope we get a few pages of sense before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Some interesting information here, thanks.

I still predict this thread will go down the toilet, but I hope we get a few pages of sense before that happens.

Lets try keep it clean so, the amount of taxi bashing threads lately has been a bit much. I think a positive thread will help people understand the Taxi industry better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I have always thought that the cars without VRT would be a tough one to police. You would have to ensure that those availing of such a car were full time taxi drivers. People often say the Merc E Class is the ultimate taxi. How much would the VRT on a new one be? You can imagine the number of people trying to exploit that. Also, is it fair for a taxi driver's wife to drive the car when it is not being used when the car has effectively been subsidised by the tax payer?

I can see a good argument for the port tunnel to be free of charge to taxis but again it would be open to abuse to the Michael O'Learys of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

7. Taxi driving should be minimum wage, an interesting concept and to be honest, if I was guaranteed to get minimum wage, with the money to pay for the upgrades, maintenance of car etc. Then I would certainly consider doing it, however, as the taxi driver is self employed and also has to budget for holiday pay, sickness, unpaid enforced time of the road etc. Then minimum wage wouldn’t cover it.

God wish I could earn minimum wage - went to work tonight at 6pm - first fare 10.49pm €6.25 second fare 12.05am €4.45 third and final fare 1.07am €5.85 just home having sat on rank for another hour

Well done spook_ie, well presented points

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I have always thought that the cars without VRT would be a tough one to police. You would have to ensure that those availing of such a car were full time taxi drivers. People often say the Merc E Class is the ultimate taxi. How much would the VRT on a new one be? You can imagine the number of people trying to exploit that. Also, is it fair for a taxi driver's wife to drive the car when it is not being used when the car has effectively been subsidised by the tax payer?

I can see a good argument for the port tunnel to be free of charge to taxis but again it would be open to abuse to the Michael O'Learys of this world.

Taxi drivers have to be taxi drivers, it works in other countries, if you drive a taxi you can't work elsewhere, means that only people who want to be taxi drivers are taxi drivers ( no one driving for a bit of extra cash whenever they feel like it ) but people who are genuinely providing what is supposed to be a public service. At the end of the day though you will never eliminate all the loop holes, O'Leary himself just employs a driver with a psv license and effectively hires the taxi to himself ( all he needs do is get the driver to fill in a waiver form saying fare calculation on the meter waived for hire of taxi between 7.00 and 21.00 or whatever ) and then claim the year as a total loss against his Mercedes. If taxi drivers had to be taxi drivers though he wouldn't be able to employ a driver and would instead have to lease the car to his driver who would then have to do a self employed tax return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Taxi drivers have to be taxi drivers, it works in other countries, if you drive a taxi you can't work elsewhere, means that only people who want to be taxi drivers are taxi drivers ( no one driving for a bit of extra cash whenever they feel like it ) but people who are genuinely providing what is supposed to be a public service. At the end of the day though you will never eliminate all the loop holes, O'Leary himself just employs a driver with a psv license and effectively hires the taxi to himself ( all he needs do is get the driver to fill in a waiver form saying fare calculation on the meter waived for hire of taxi between 7.00 and 21.00 or whatever ) and then claim the year as a total loss against his Mercedes. If taxi drivers had to be taxi drivers though he wouldn't be able to employ a driver and would instead have to lease the car to his driver who would then have to do a self employed tax return

It sounds reasonable but how do you enforce it?

Insist drivers work over 40 hrs per week? How could you do that? Existing drivers wouldn't be happy if their meters are being snooped on to prove it. Especially if the Revenue have access to the information too!

What if someone is sick? Would they have to put in for sick leave if they can't make full time hours? Or go on holidays?

Would we see a return of cosys as taxi owners try to push the hours driven in their taxi to above 40?

You are definitely right that the best way is to have full time taxi drivers only but I think that zero VRT would only be an incentive to non full-time people to get in added to the existing use of bus-lanes while not hired and cheap road tax. If a new Merc E-Class Diesel costs €50k, say €12k of that is VRT and if your five year rule is used, €1k per year in road tax savings, that would be a saving of €17k over the life of the car. It would more than make up for any loss incurred to a non taxi driver whose car depreciates as it is used as a taxi. A current barrier to entry.

What would be your opinion if VRT was kept as existing, road tax was restored to private car levels, taxis need to have their meter running and a passenger on board to use the bus lane but drivers had to prove that they had worked in excess of 40 hours per week when audited, thereby removing part-timers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

10. Ranks. I would contend that due to the inherent danger of the Taxi Regulators advice to select any vehicle at a rank that it should be immediately rescinded. I’ve seen it with my own eyes where an intending passenger has gone to get into the vehicle 3 or 4 places from the front, when the queue has moved up with the result that the passenger ended up on the floor, luckily so far no one’s gone under the wheels!, I also contend that the advice gives an opportunity to the racist elements of society to avoid using cars based on race rather than on quality

I'm not going to get into all the detail of the points you've made, so apologies in advance for that. I have heard comments from mates that at taxi ranks they have been 'shuffled' away from the front of the taxi rank by other taxi drivers towards white taxi drivers rather than the black taxi drivers at the front of the rank - have you heard anything about this?

Also considering one of the complaints of taxi drivers is the lack of rank space why last night at one of the biggest taxi ranks (o'connell st - where the instances of shuffling occurred) were drivers not progressing to the top of the rank and thus limiting the number of taxis that could wait at the rank? There was space for at least 4 more taxis in the rank, the 'first' taxi in the rank had it's lights off and no driver in it, seemed very odd to me (and this was the case for 10 minutes while i waited for a bus).

dereko1969 wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into all the detail of the points you've made, so apologies in advance for that. I have heard comments from mates that at taxi ranks they have been 'shuffled' away from the front of the taxi rank by other taxi drivers towards white taxi drivers rather than the black taxi drivers at the front of the rank - have you heard anything about this?

Also considering one of the complaints of taxi drivers is the lack of rank space why last night at one of the biggest taxi ranks (o'connell st - where the instances of shuffling occurred) were drivers not progressing to the top of the rank and thus limiting the number of taxis that could wait at the rank? There was space for at least 4 more taxis in the rank, the 'first' taxi in the rank had it's lights off and no driver in it, seemed very odd to me (and this was the case for 10 minutes while i waited for a bus).

AFAIK The Gresham rank works on the basis of, drive up see an empty space on either side and pull in, enquire ( yell out " who's holding last" ) who was last in the Q, then when you get to 2nd you direct the next punter to the guy in front of you and you then become 1st in the Q, in the meantime if anyone else joins the rank they then become last. Never worked it to be honest, but it sounds like a complete mess up, can't see why it doesn't just work like a straight rank with a bend in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

1. The taxi industry is unique in that it is a regulated service industry supplied by self employed individuals, it cannot work like any other retail/service industry
    It's like the tolling companies, tolls are set at a maximum and can be reduced at the toll operators discretion.

2. Why stop new entrants to the market? they take the risk of the unknown future circumstances on the chin if they enter now.
    I can't see how you can be a self employed person and be a member of a union involved in the business. If the taxi regulator holds public consultations, then all submissions must be considered. if you think yours hasn't you can take a case to the courts.

3. no problem with this.

4. Again self employed sole traders don't earn a wage, they make profits.
    What market conditions would you think appropriate? I'd say it'd have to be for the benefit of the taxi using public, not for taxi drivers or the govt.

5. I don't see how the age of a car matters. some objective standards regarding quality would be a better idea.
    Roof signs easily allow the public identify a taxi when they want to hail one, especially in times of darkness. French taxi's have smaler signs and are much harder to see in advance for example.

6. preventing motivated people from working to earn money is called communism. What if a person is on short time hours or week on week off?

7. Taxi driving is low skilled work. Introducing a high standard of knowledge about the area the driver wants to drive in would be a simple step upskilling. introducing objective standards of quality for the taxis is another.

8. Following on from the point above, introducing an advanced driving test for taxi/cab/limo drivers would again introduce more skill to the job.

9. yeah, it's not much use for non radio work. you'ld have to be rigourous though, getting a taximan who is now with the discount radio co. vs one who is with a non-discount radio co and then here is the aggregate drop in demand for taxis in total.

10. What have the Gardaí or the HSA or the RSA to say on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

my comments

5) What's the obsession here with putting an age limit on cars. I have been driven in 10 year old Mercedes that were in better nick than a 4 year old Toyota for example. The overall condition of the car should be the deciding factor not its age.
    The removal of the roof signs is a bad idea. Without a roof sign you won't be able to identify a taxi until it's just passing you, to late to call. It's even worse at night.

6) Part-time taxi drivers should definitely be allowed. They are not just people who do it to pay for luxuries, but also people who do it because they need the money to survive
    Part-time taxi drivers are also a good way to handle demand at peak-times. Let's assume you need 1000 taxis during off-peak hours and 2000 taxis during peak hours (assumed numbers only, don't know the real ones). You have 3 choices. A) have 2000 full-time taxi drivers half of which are not needed during most of the time, which will most likely lead to B) have 1000 full-time drivers, and the public is back to the good old times, when passengers have to wait for long times to get a taxi, because there are not enough at peak times. C) have 1000 full-time and 1000 part-time drivers (who only work at peak times) and you have enough taxis during the whole day without the drivers earning too little.

7) You are self-employeed you make a profit or loss, not a wage. No other self-employeed person is asking for a minimum wage.
    Besides this there is also practical reasons. Who is going to pay this and from what money? How do you determine the hours a taxi-driver worked? What conditions does the driver has? Does he has to park the car at a rank, or can he just wait in an estate out-off town where none is passing by to hail a taxi and goes home after 8 hours of no fare and collects minimum wage for this?

8) Taxi drivers are supposed to be professional drivers so the rules should be more stringent than for other drivers.
    I think there should be a practical driving test for the psv license (harder than the normal driving test) and the punishment should be harder for professional drivers than for normal drivers.

10) There should be no requirement to pick the first taxi in the rank. No other business is requesting the same. You don't have to buy your newspaper at the first news agent you pass you can choose where you buy it. The same should be true for taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

1) The regulator should only sets minimum standards and max fares. Then you can compete fine.

2) This is what the laws of supply/demand should sort out. Nobody would work in an area if they are losing money.

5) I would say that the most important thing for taxis would be safety standards and that all taxis should have a minimum of a 4 star NCAP rating, possibly 5 because I don't know how many cars qualify for 5. Taxi plates aren't a bad idea but removing the roof sign will make it harder to spot taxis.

6) It is supply/demand. There is nothing wrong with someone working two jobs. If they want to work hard then let them. The only check that should be performed here is on whether someone has had enough sleep to be safe behind the wheel.

8) As taxi drivers drive for a living, they should have to resit the test at least every 2 years to ensure they are not a danger to the public. It is in everyones interest that this happens. Other drivers on the road and their many passengers. This also should mean harsher penalties on some driving offenses, most importantly drink driving. If found drink driving they should be banned from every driving a taxi again.

9) drivers should have to clearly display the fare prices they charge on the outside of their vehicles eliminating this problem. This could be on the roof sign if it would fit.

10) You eliminate competition on price if you restrict which taxi people can get into. If a passenger is a racist, it is probably safer that they don't get in the car with the person that belongs to the race they are racist against. There should be harsh penalties for misbehavior at ranks on behalf of taxi drivers and passengers should have common sense. It isn't a reason to prevent choice of taxi which encourages people to maintain their taxi's well and try to have a newer car over any old banger.

Oh if taxi's are going to get VRT off, it should only be on greener vehicles with lower noise levels. Electric cars would be perfect but I suspect they can't do the mileage without needing a charge so efficient cars or hybrids would be best until a better alternative becomes available. Hybrids not because of fuel efficiency so much as their ability to be quiet running at low speeds which would occur in the city and they can run at high speeds on motorways so fit perfectly at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The basic problem is that you'd assume that market supply would generate an equilibrium of taxis. However the fact that it is so easy to enter the market means that the equilibrium will never achieve a realistic balance as people continually try to enter the market and end up leaving because it is uneconomic to stay. This basic problem will stay until either the jobs market returns to make it more possible for drivers to find a better paying job or that the entry to the market is altered to adapt to a more professional model by raising the bar for quality. E.g. You must pass a very extensive knowledge test, your car must be of a certain quality etc. This would not prejudice entry to the market but the objective would be to ensure that the public gets a very high quality taxi service for the inflated price we pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The basic problem is that you'd assume that market supply would generate an equilibrium of taxis. However the fact that it is so easy to enter the market means that the equilibrium will never achieve a realistic balance as people continually try to enter the market and end up leaving because it is uneconomic to stay. This basic problem will stay until either the jobs market returns to make it more possible for drivers to find a better paying job or that the entry to the market is altered to adapt to a more professional model by raising the bar for quality. E.g. You must pass a very extensive knowledge test, your car must be of a certain quality etc. This would not prejudice entry to the market but the objective would be to ensure that the public gets a very high quality taxi service for the inflated price we pay.

That would be kept to a minimum by the market itself. People enter, realise it isn't sustainable and leave. People retire from the job and new people enter and word of mouth that you can't make a living as a taxi driver.

I'd be for higher standards too and I've outlined some of those in my previous post.

This creates a nice skill set and vehicle quality balance that will ensure that not everyone can enter the market. I'd say a test should include knowledge of common routes around the area the person intends to drive if possible.

It's like the tolling companies, tolls are set at a maximum and can be reduced at the toll operators discretion.

2. Why stop new entrants to the market? they take the risk of the unknown future circumstances on the chin if they enter now.
    I can't see how you can be a self employed person and be a member of a union involved in the business. If the taxi regulator holds public consultations, then all submissions must be considered. if you think yours hasn't you can take a case to the courts.

3. no problem with this.

4. Again self employed sole traders don't earn a wage, they make profits.
    What market conditions would you think appropriate? I'd say it'd have to be for the benefit of the taxi using public, not for taxi drivers or the govt.

5. I don't see how the age of a car matters. some objective standards regarding quality would be a better idea.
    Roof signs easily allow the public identify a taxi when they want to hail one, especially in times of darkness. French taxi's have smaler signs and are much harder to see in advance for example.

6. preventing motivated people from working to earn money is called communism. What if a person is on short time hours or week on week off?

7. Taxi driving is low skilled work. Introducing a high standard of knowledge about the area the driver wants to drive in would be a simple step upskilling. introducing objective standards of quality for the taxis is another.

8. Following on from the point above, introducing an advanced driving test for taxi/cab/limo drivers would again introduce more skill to the job.

9. yeah, it's not much use for non radio work. you'ld have to be rigourous though, getting a taximan who is now with the discount radio co. vs one who is with a non-discount radio co and then here is the aggregate drop in demand for taxis in total.

10. What have the Gardaí or the HSA or the RSA to say on this?

1 In a market economy that has a price cap ( maximum earning potential ) then the onus should also be on a defined ( under constant review ) number of participents, you can't have your cake and eat it. If you want a free market then ( other than safety and insurence legislation, which is a requirement for all cars ) let it be a free market with unlimited participants but no price cap

2 The moritorium is being asked for so that it's easier to restucture the market with 25000 cabs rather than with 35000, it's like having a leak in your bathroom, you don't try to fix the problem until you've turned off the supply, otherwise it just adds to the problem

3n/a

4 Participants in the taxi industry have to be able to earn enough profits to both live on and to reinvest in their vehicles, comes back down to supply v demand, do you want the taxi industry to run as a standard economic model or do you want it to run to provide a public service?

5 The quality issue is supposed to be approached with the new 9 year old rule that's due to come in from 1/1/2012, personaly I don't think it's going to make one iota of a difference to the "QUALITY" of the cars, if a driver doesn't look after his 12/13/14 year old car what makes the Taxi Regulator think he's going to look after a 6/7/8/9 year old car. As an aside to this, it was originaly planned that all NEW entrants from 1/1/2009 would have to conform to the 9 year rule, this was subsequently amended to be all new plates i.e 45000 and up. Another year lost and another year of people buying plates 2nd hand and putting anything they like ( as long as it has a roof, 4 doors, 5 seats and a boot ) on the road.
    The question of identifying a taxi is subjective but would easily be solved by having the cars painted a luminous green or by having them covered in reflective stripes or whatever color scheme suits, the main contention would be the aerodynamics of the current sign ( the only requirement to ID a taxi today), are sadly lacking in the North and in many other cities the signs are much more aerodynamic, even at present levels of 25000+ taxis the fuel and economy savings ( even if it were as low as 5%) would be substantial

6 You want a professional service then you get professional drivers, if you're on short time in your normal job and you can't make ends meet then instead of being a part time hobby taxi you become full time, if you can't hack being a taxi driver full time there is no reason I can see to be one part time

7 Doesn't cover the argument that people have to eat as well as re invest in the industry, which would you prefer a taxi driver who doesn't feed his kids because the money has gone on the taxi, a taxi driver that puts minimum investment back into the industry or a compomise solution?

8 No problem with that at all, however I would take it a step further and insist that it's a pre-requisite of taxi driving that as well as passing an advanced test, that you have held a full license for a number of years AND that the license you hold is endorsable within this country, too many taxi drivers I know have licenses from other EU countries and laugh at the speeding fines etc. because they have NO fear of losing their license.

9 As I say the juries still out, apparantly there was a radio program on today with two taxi company owners facing off about discount fares, one of them was Ebbs ( 202020 taxis ) and the other was ( I think ) Network Taxis, must see if I can find a podcast of it.

10. The Garda and HSE have no concerns because it isn't in their remit, HSE and Gardai might become more concerned when a fatality or serious injury occurs, as is often the case any action will be too late to save someone's life. As to the racial side of the ranks I emailed NRCCI and Taxi Regulator about it, results NRCCI No reply TR No complaints recieved and taxiranks are not within our remit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

That's why my solution to the problem would be:

1. Put out to tender the licence to operate all taxis in an area (perhaps a few licences for competition reasons). These licences would be auctioned off similar to the telecoms licences.
    2. Revoke all current taxi licences.
    3. Allow these companies to hire/fire taxi drivers at will.
    4. These taxi drivers must be certified, qualified drivers to be hired, etc.

This way, the drivers are guaranteed a minimum wage, as they are now employees, rather than self-traders, and if the "company" doesn't operate within whatever strict guidelines it is given, it gets its licence revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mdebets wrote: »
    The removal of the roof signs is a bad idea. Without a roof sign you won't be able to identify a taxi until it's just passing you, to late to call. It's even worse at night.

The white/green hi-viz colour scheme used in Brighton or luminous blue registration plates as used in Holland seems to work grand at night; the latter of which doesn't destroy the cars resale value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't really get the moratorium.

Two points which have come up a number of times from taxi drivers are:
    - it's impossible to make a living now as a taxi driver;
    - there's a lot of cowboys out there - fake taxis, plates being rented out to anyone, dodgy cars, whatever.

A moratorium isn't going to help resolve either of those. It might stop things getting worse, but maintaining the status quo isn't really what anyone wants.

Plus when people hear "moratorium" they just think back to the bad old days and a closed market completely insufficient taxi numbers.

But yet that's the one word being thrown out over and over again. There was a half page opinion piece by a taxi driver in the Irish Times a few weeks ago, good chance to get some points across about the problems taxis are facing, but again wasted on the moratorium chant. Oh, and complaining about double jobbing, which I thought a bit ironic given the writer was a freelance journalist.

Forget the moratorium, proper regulation of basics like roadworthy cars and checks on licences. God knows there's enough unemployed people out there, train some more taxi license inspectors and give them power to do something. Stricter standards for new entrants, but only as long as the same criteria are applied to existing drivers after e.g. 2 years. Alongside this, review of other aspects of the industry.

MOH wrote: »
    I don't really get the moratorium.

Two points which have come up a number of times from taxi drivers are:
    - it's impossible to make a living now as a taxi driver;
    - there's a lot of cowboys out there - fake taxis, plates being rented out to anyone, dodgy cars, whatever.

A moratorium isn't going to help resolve either of those. It might stop things getting worse, but maintaining the status quo isn't really what anyone wants.

Plus when people hear "moratorium" they just think back to the bad old days and a closed market completely insufficient taxi numbers.

/snip/

but that's why I keep putting it in BOLD A temporary moritorium, to stop it from getting any worse and followed on by an immediate re-evaluation of the industry, the re-evaluation could easily encompass all the suggestions given, but if you want to keep the good drivers in the industry action is needed now

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    God knows there's enough unemployed people out there, train some more taxi license inspectors and give them power to do something. Stricter standards for new entrants, but only as long as the same criteria are applied to existing drivers after e.g. 2 years. Alongside this, review of other aspects of the industry.

The budget 09 will certainly help unemployed people - government have increased the BTEA so will fund plenty more taxis - but have scrapped BTWA so they don't want to encourage employment but rather self employment - then when things don't work out they have nowhere to turn.:( Social welfare are advising newly unemployed men to apply for PSV licence and come back to them. Many posts here have said "if you don't like it get out" unfortunately there's nowhere to go as I have learned over the past months applying for jobs and sending CVs. The only thing the government forgot is that by taking even more money off people they are encouraging people to spend across the border and not to spend here. Things are going to get a lot worse for all of us in the service industry - not just the taxi industry - noone has any money to spend!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

1 In a market economy that has a price cap ( maximum earning potential ) then the onus should also be on a defined ( under constant review ) number of participents, you can't have your cake and eat it. If you want a free market then ( other than safety and insurence legislation, which is a requirement for all cars ) let it be a free market with unlimited participants but no price cap

2 The moritorium is being asked for so that it's easier to restucture the market with 25000 cabs rather than with 35000, it's like having a leak in your bathroom, you don't try to fix the problem until you've turned off the supply, otherwise it just adds to the problem

3n/a

4 Participants in the taxi industry have to be able to earn enough profits to both live on and to reinvest in their vehicles, comes back down to supply v demand, do you want the taxi industry to run as a standard economic model or do you want it to run to provide a public service?

5 The quality issue is supposed to be approached with the new 9 year old rule that's due to come in from 1/1/2012, personaly I don't think it's going to make one iota of a difference to the "QUALITY" of the cars, if a driver doesn't look after his 12/13/14 year old car what makes the Taxi Regulator think he's going to look after a 6/7/8/9 year old car. As an aside to this, it was originaly planned that all NEW entrants from 1/1/2009 would have to conform to the 9 year rule, this was subsequently amended to be all new plates i.e 45000 and up. Another year lost and another year of people buying plates 2nd hand and putting anything they like ( as long as it has a roof, 4 doors, 5 seats and a boot ) on the road.
    The question of identifying a taxi is subjective but would easily be solved by having the cars painted a luminous green or by having them covered in reflective stripes or whatever color scheme suits, the main contention would be the aerodynamics of the current sign ( the only requirement to ID a taxi today), are sadly lacking in the North and in many other cities the signs are much more aerodynamic, even at present levels of 25000+ taxis the fuel and economy savings ( even if it were as low as 5%) would be substantial

6 You want a professional service then you get professional drivers, if you're on short time in your normal job and you can't make ends meet then instead of being a part time hobby taxi you become full time, if you can't hack being a taxi driver full time there is no reason I can see to be one part time

7 Doesn't cover the argument that people have to eat as well as re invest in the industry, which would you prefer a taxi driver who doesn't feed his kids because the money has gone on the taxi, a taxi driver that puts minimum investment back into the industry or a compomise solution?

8 No problem with that at all, however I would take it a step further and insist that it's a pre-requisite of taxi driving that as well as passing an advanced test, that you have held a full license for a number of years AND that the license you hold is endorsable within this country, too many taxi drivers I know have licenses from other EU countries and laugh at the speeding fines etc. because they have NO fear of losing their license.

9 As I say the juries still out, apparantly there was a radio program on today with two taxi company owners facing off about discount fares, one of them was Ebbs ( 202020 taxis ) and the other was ( I think ) Network Taxis, must see if I can find a podcast of it.

10. The Garda and HSE have no concerns because it isn't in their remit, HSE and Gardai might become more concerned when a fatality or serious injury occurs, as is often the case any action will be too late to save someone's life. As to the racial side of the ranks I emailed NRCCI and Taxi Regulator about it, results NRCCI No reply TR No complaints recieved and taxiranks are not within our remit

1. Domestic electricity and gas supply are the same as taxi's. there is a maximum price set and defined quality levels also. New entrants can enter the market if they think they can make a profit.

2. There was a problem with ordinary driving licenses. no-one suggested introducing a moratorium. The extra cost of the extra licenses can deal with applying the new standards to the extra licenses.

4. But "enough profits to live on and re-invest in their taxi's" is as long as piece of string. Some people will need more to live on than thers - like someone who bought their house 20 years ago vs last year at the top of the boom - for a reasonably uncontentious difference in a person's fixed outgoings. How do you set the price of a new taxi in a falling market. How often do you re-adjust the price?

5. the age of cars is a cop out in defining the standard of a car. A 25 year old Merc could easily be of a better standard to a 8.5 year old compact saloon.
    The govt just increased fuel costs by more than 5% this afternoon, OPEC did a lot more over the last few years... Black taxi's in Scotland belfast and England are distinctive enough without signs.....

6. I just disagree. I see no issue with part time drivers as long as their cars meet the objective standards and driver passes the same knowledge test. What about semi-retired drivers who only operate during profitable times and live off savings or a pension for the rest of the time for example?

7. Introducing a high barrier to entry would reduce the number of taxi drivers. I thought this is what most taxi drivers want?

8. I don't see this issue of holding a license for an amount of time solving anything. If you pass the test, the govt have decided you are a competent driver. How does passing a test, not driving for x years make you any better than some one who passed the test drove for x-1 years?
    I'd say EU law would prevent any discrimination on license holders nationality. There is no requirement on any eu license holder to exchange it for the duration of the license. What about a taxi driver driving in Lifford and area, but living in Strabane? they could not get an Irish license
    The govt should run the penalty points system to account for at least other EU licenses, the driver number is marked 5 on EU licenses. I presume there is a record of the address on the taxi license application, which needs to be reasonably current. It's not beyond the wit of man to deal with this problem.

10. The HSA -Health and Safety Authority, not the HSE - The HSE can't even spell, I wouldn't rely on them to do anything.
    I thought the HSA were busybodies enough to want to get involved before a serious injury. They wanted us (in a previous job) to take unreal precautions in case materiel clearly marked as safe (by the multinational manufacturer with deep pockets to sue) to use latex gloves - even thought they can cause a much worse reaction..... :confused:

There's a lot of buck passing regarding ranks, which needs to be sorted out by someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Godge wrote: »
    some good points made in your post - particularly about the motorway issue, the meter ticks up faster as you drive faster. However, I have noticed recently some taxis I have been in slowing down as they approach traffic lights hoping for a red to pick up an extra waiting "tick" on the meter..

No he didnt say that at all ...I'll make it clear for you ,,,,,,The meter DOES NOT tick up faster as you driver faster...
    Second point EVERY car should slowdown if the traffic lights begin to change ,thats the whole idea of traffic management ....You're been a little paranod thinking that the driver does it on purpose .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

oisindoyle wrote: »
    The meter DOES NOT tick up faster as you driver faster...

It depends on your definition of faster -- if you mean "more ticks/min", then yes it does. If you mean "more ticks/km", then no it doesn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The taxi industry is a unique industry but that does not mean supply and demand should not be less important than any other industry.

Like any other sole trader a taxi person can see potential in a market. When demand is high there is potential for large income. When demand is low that potential isn’t there. This applies across the board.

People can (and always should be) allowed to enter the market based on the potential they see. If they go in without any sound business plan or unrealistic ideas of what they can expect to get out of it then that’s down to them and the decisions they make.

Driving a taxi is a none skilled job. Expecting high wages out as a result is unrealistic. By going in as a sole trader you lose that right of a minimum wage. That’s the risk you take. But that risk is off set with the potential of higher earnings. No of these are guaranteed and no is owed anything.

No one is entitled to a living.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

kearnsr wrote: »

Can you expand on this point?

Driving a taxi is a none skilled job. Expecting high wages out as a result is unrealistic. By going in as a sole trader you lose that right of a minimum wage. That’s the risk you take. But that risk is off set with the potential of higher earnings. No of these are guaranteed and no is owed anything.

The major difference between taxi drivers and other sole traders is that they are regulated in so far as they can only charge a certain maximum fare. Other sole traders like your basic local shop can fix their own prices on most of the goods they supply - they can increase their prices if their costs increase - taxi drivers can't. I'm not suggesting that taxis should increase their costs just pointing out a difference. In the current ecomonic climate the taxi industry is the only industry when there is a steady flow of people entering the market - this is down to a number of reasons:
    1. Encouragement by dept of social welfare for men to get PSVs (answer you don't want to drive a taxi and you're told that it doesn't seem like you're actively seeking employment).
    2. Grants given to jobseekers in the form of BTEA to start up their own business - even the Goodbody report agreed that this should not be happening as it is against the purpose of this self-employment scheme and is having a negative impact on the industry and creates unfair competition.
    3. Too easy to get a taxi licence - god we all know certain elements of our society who should not be driving taxis.
    4. Total lack of proper enforcement of regulations.

I accept that there is no guarantee when you work for yourself, I'm not looking for the high wages, but when I work a 70 hour week I would like to be able to earn the equivanent of the minimum wage.

"NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO A LIVING"? Don't really understand your point every citizen of Ireland employed or not is entitled to have money to live be it employed, selfemployed or unemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

It depends on your definition of faster -- if you mean "more ticks/min", then yes it does. If you mean "more ticks/km", then no it doesn't.
    Really ???? Please eloborate then .

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Really ???? Please eloborate then .

The best way to explain is -
    1. Travel distance 5 miles at 60MPH takes 12mins Cost e.g. €9.10
    2. Travel distance 5 miles at 30PMH takes 24mins Cost same €9.10

Meter cost still the same because is charged on distance - may appear to be clocking up faster but this is because the vehicle is travelling faster. Only instance where meter charges time is when vehicle is travelling at 21KPM or slower i.e. stopped or stuck in heavy traffic - hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The taxi industry is a unique industry but that does not mean supply and demand should not be less important than any other industry.

Like any other sole trader a taxi person can see potential in a market. When demand is high there is potential for large income. When demand is low that potential isn’t there. This applies across the board.

People can (and always should be) allowed to enter the market based on the potential they see. If they go in without any sound business plan or unrealistic ideas of what they can expect to get out of it then that’s down to them and the decisions they make.

I'd challenge anyone who thinks driving a taxi is a none skilled job. If your communication skills aren't up to scratch you'll only be driving between two destinations : from one row to the next.

Advertisement