Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis Revisited in General

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

1. Domestic electricity and gas supply are the same as taxi's. there is a maximum price set and defined quality levels also. New entrants can enter the market if they think they can make a profit.

2. There was a problem with ordinary driving licenses. no-one suggested introducing a moratorium. The extra cost of the extra licenses can deal with applying the new standards to the extra licenses.

4. But "enough profits to live on and re-invest in their taxi's" is as long as piece of string. Some people will need more to live on than thers - like someone who bought their house 20 years ago vs last year at the top of the boom - for a reasonably uncontentious difference in a person's fixed outgoings. How do you set the price of a new taxi in a falling market. How often do you re-adjust the price?

5. the age of cars is a cop out in defining the standard of a car. A 25 year old Merc could easily be of a better standard to a 8.5 year old compact saloon.
    The govt just increased fuel costs by more than 5% this afternoon, OPEC did a lot more over the last few years... Black taxi's in Scotland belfast and England are distinctive enough without signs.....

6. I just disagree. I see no issue with part time drivers as long as their cars meet the objective standards and driver passes the same knowledge test. What about semi-retired drivers who only operate during profitable times and live off savings or a pension for the rest of the time for example?

7. Introducing a high barrier to entry would reduce the number of taxi drivers. I thought this is what most taxi drivers want?

8. I don't see this issue of holding a license for an amount of time solving anything. If you pass the test, the govt have decided you are a competent driver. How does passing a test, not driving for x years make you any better than some one who passed the test drove for x-1 years?
    I'd say EU law would prevent any discrimination on license holders nationality. There is no requirement on any eu license holder to exchange it for the duration of the license. What about a taxi driver driving in Lifford and area, but living in Strabane? they could not get an Irish license
    The govt should run the penalty points system to account for at least other EU licenses, the driver number is marked 5 on EU licenses. I presume there is a record of the address on the taxi license application, which needs to be reasonably current. It's not beyond the wit of man to deal with this problem.

10. The HSA -Health and Safety Authority, not the HSE - The HSE can't even spell, I wouldn't rely on them to do anything.
    I thought the HSA were busybodies enough to want to get involved before a serious injury. They wanted us (in a previous job) to take unreal precautions in case materiel clearly marked as safe (by the multinational manufacturer with deep pockets to sue) to use latex gloves - even thought they can cause a much worse reaction..... :confused:

There's a lot of buck passing regarding ranks, which needs to be sorted out by someone.

1 Not in the slightest way the same thing, energy suppy is capable of multiple customers at the same time, yet to see a taxi thats capable of doing that

2 Still needs the temporary moritorium while the TR etc. employ yet more consultants and prevarication, temporary moritorium and sort the whole mess out

6 Part time double jobbers are just an anathma to full time taxi drivers, do you the public want a full time and professional service or do you want the hotch potch you have now?

7. There have been several opportunities to implement this in the last 3 years
    The 9 year rule could have been brought in for "replacement" taxis instead of waiting till 2012, in other words if you repaced your taxi ( of your own will) prior to 2012 then it should have conformed to the new specs, the "new" taxi operators from 1/1/2009 (plate numbers in excess of 45000) was originaly specified as ALL new entrants from 1/1/2009 ie even those who rented a plate or brought a 2nd hand plate, it was changed so that if you entered the market after 1/1/2009 but purchased a 2nd user plate ( below 45000 ) then you could exempt yourself from the 9 year rule until 2012.

8 I don't see any reason why having a PSV license shouldn't include some kind of driving test to prove that you're capable of multitasking in a taxi enviroment ( it isn't just driving! ) you've all seen "ordinary" drivers, totaly incapable of driving a car with a minor distraction like changing the radio station, try doing it with 4 drunks, yelling in your ear, constantly turning the vol up changing the channel, turning round to talk to their mates in the back and knocking either your arm or the car out of gear, people messing and opening doors at 60Kph, winding down windows for a breath of fresh air and then puking down the side of the car or a combination of them. As to living outside the area you are required to have a TC2 form from the Irish revenue if you're resident outside the area can you get one? As you say it's not without solutions but they aren't forthcoming

amtaxi wrote: »
    The best way to explain is -
    1. Travel distance 5 miles at 60MPH takes 12mins Cost e.g. €9.10
    2. Travel distance 5 miles at 30PMH takes 24mins Cost same €9.10

Meter cost still the same because is charged on distance - may appear to be clocking up faster but this is because the vehicle is travelling faster. Only instance where meter charges time is when vehicle is travelling at 21KPM or slower i.e. stopped or stuck in heavy traffic - hope this helps

Actualy it would take 5 mins to travel 5 miles at 60 mph but I agree with your explanation...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Spook_ie wrote: »
    6 Part time double jobbers are just an anathma to full time taxi drivers, do you the public want a full time and professional service or do you want the hotch potch you have now?

The problem with banning part-timers is it means either:

1 - you have to have enough taxis to cope with peak demand at off-peak times -- meaning too many workers for not enough work
    or
    2 - We're back to the bad-old days of queuing for hours to wait for enough taxis at peak times as there are only enough drivers for off-peak usage.

Which option do you prefer? Personally I prefer option 3 -- allow part-timers to come at peak times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AFAIK The Gresham rank works on the basis of, drive up see an empty space on either side and pull in, enquire ( yell out " who's holding last" ) who was last in the Q, then when you get to 2nd you direct the next punter to the guy in front of you and you then become 1st in the Q, in the meantime if anyone else joins the rank they then become last. Never worked it to be honest, but it sounds like a complete mess up, can't see why it doesn't just work like a straight rank with a bend in it!

Sorry to go OT, but just have to say that from the point of view of a punter, the Gresham rank is a disaster. It is very annoying going up to the rank and not knowing what taxi you should be getting and having to ask the lads and even a little intimidating as I've seen arguments break out there between drivers.

I've spoken to a few women who wont go near that rank and will walk further to get a taxi at a different rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

A gripe of mine, I have noticed this a few times (not always I must add, but common enough).

When paying, the drivers (in these cases all middle aged Irish drivers) are very slow to give you your change, messing about with coins, all in the hope that you just say "that's ok, keep the change". This annoys me. If I want to tip I should have the right to decide. When this happens I make a point of not tipping.

Case point.
    Experience two weeks ago. Taxi from airport to south county Dublin. €70 (if you think taxi from city centre at 2am this weekend cost €16 this is a staggering price). Charged €3 for M50 toll. After asking for a reciept (he was not happy about this) he did the usual with the change, left me short, jumping out of car when my companion went to get bags out of car. I had to stop him leaving and ask for my 55c, which he was not giving me. Needless to say he got smart and gave it to me all in 1c and 2c coins.

Service with a smile?

It is experiences like this that leaves mixed sympathies when it comes to taxi disputes.

• Advertisement

The problem with banning part-timers is it means either:

1 - you have to have enough taxis to cope with peak demand at off-peak times -- meaning too many workers for not enough work
    or
    2 - We're back to the bad-old days of queuing for hours to wait for enough taxis at peak times as there are only enough drivers for off-peak usage.

Which option do you prefer? Personally I prefer option 3 -- allow part-timers to come at peak times.

Sort of agree with you, but if you go into Tescos do you expect them to NEVER have a queue at the checkouts, and as I've said before I would far prefer to compete with a 1000 full time taxi drivers on a level playing field ( so that it will find it's own level ) than a 1000 part time double jobbers who distort the market

Sort of agree with you, but if you go into Tescos do you expect them to NEVER have a queue at the checkouts, and as I've said before I would far prefer to compete with a 1000 full time taxi drivers on a level playing field ( so that it will find it's own level ) than a 1000 part time double jobbers who distort the market

Tesco's have part-time workers at the checkouts at peak time. While never having to queue can't work due to physical space constraints, you generally find that the busier the store gets the more checkouts are open.

Another option that might work would be to have a centralized "shift" operator for taxis - who dictates which taxi operates where and when -- which is how the Tesco checkouts are managed -- would you be happy being told when and where you were to work though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭gjim

it cannot work like any other retail/service industry BECAUSE it is price regulated as well as quality regulated
    I know why you're forced to start with the suggestion that taxi driving is somehow fundamentally different to all other commercial activities even though that claim is patently false. Practically every industry in the country is experiencing shrinking revenues; the response is the same - cut jobs and/or cut wages. Taxi driving is a NOT special case in any way and taxi drivers are simply experiencing what is being experienced everywhere by working people.

The "reason" you've identified which makes the taxi business different to ALL others is simply false. There's a degree of quality regulation in the supply of every single consumer service/good. There is NOTHING different about the taxi business in this regard. And there is no-end of services/retail industry where price AND quality is regulated. Even if the authorities don't specify a price, the market generally imposes a price cap on suppliers. In fact, the price control artificially inflates the prices when it comes to taxis; if you didn't have it for taxis you'd be earning even less and I assume you'd be straight out on the streets demanding that a "fair price" be imposed.

This claim to "uniqueness" is always fundamental when a commercial sector comes looking to be shielded from economic reality by the government. For the farmers it was that food supply was basic and unique, for manufacturers there's usually a bit of patriotism thrown into the mix (a tactic I see the taxi drivers use also) - "we need to protect Ireland's vital X industry", for the pharmacists it was their "unique" position as heath care providers, similarly the Irish pub is apparently "unique" and needs to be protected from competition, etc. etc.

In other words, we've heard pretty much EVERY single excuse why job "X" is unique and needs protection from the evil "market forces" but unfortunately for you the taxi drivers' claims on uniqueness are not only factually incorrect (like most such claims) but also lack any sort of emotional/political traction (unlike the supply of food, for example).

Actually my real interest is in exploring what the taxi drivers actually want done; they always seem to get somewhat vague in demanding a "review". The fundamental problem/issue here is SHRINKING revenue - taxi drivers seemed happy enough with the rules before last year when the economy is booming. There is nothing a "review" can do to reverse this fall in revenue. You may as well propose a review on the law of gravity given how many people hurt themselves tripping/falling. So the only way of improving the lot of some taxi drivers is to force others out of the business. This is the basic contradiction at the heart of the taxi drivers dispute.

And to be fair, many of the rest of your points are reasonable and well made. It's just that your basic gripe (i.e. driving a taxi is fundamentally different to the supply of consumer goods/services) is unfounded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

gjim wrote: »
    Actually my real interest is in exploring what the taxi drivers actually want done; they always seem to get somewhat vague in demanding a "review". The fundamental problem/issue here is SHRINKING revenue - taxi drivers seemed happy enough with the rules before last year when the economy is booming. There is nothing a "review" can do to reverse this fall in revenue. You may as well propose a review on the law of gravity given how many people hurt themselves tripping/falling. So the only way of improving the lot of some taxi drivers is to force others out of the business. This is the basic contradiction at the heart of the taxi drivers dispute.

And to be fair, many of the rest of your points are reasonable and well made. It's just that your basic gripe (i.e. driving a taxi is fundamentally different to the supply of consumer goods/services) is unfounded

On the first paragraph, drivers and driver unions have been actually asking for this and noting that changes and implementation of standards were needed for several years now in other to allow drivers to maintain some degree of net income and to improve the standard of driver out there. A trawl through the archives of sites like Boards.ie will show you pages and pages of drivers who have been saying as such for some years now. To look at the first pages of the recent Goodbody Report tells us that many drivers are working over the EU directive week of 48 hours, and that drivers incomes are down by 5% since 2005 (Page 8), even with fare revisions and working longer hours (Again, Page 8). This shows that the State even has accepted this as fact and yet Kathleen fiddles as Rome burns.

The mentality of needing more taxis on the road on the sole or primary premise of having to wait longer coming home on a Saturday has been taken (And still is, let it be noted) to the max now and notwithstanding the current economic strife in the Nation, it is at the complete detriment of the other 100 hours of the week. This is just not sound rational economics no matter how you look at it. While I am in agreement that part time workers are essential in the trade, the problem here is once again, some proper regulation of what is going on and how many at any one time. Somebody make the point about Tesco's opening more tills if it's busy; Tesco's may well have this staff on other duties packing shelves or in the stores for the rest of the day and they are called into assist if needed; Tescos may well just give them 10 hours work a week and they do not pay them for 30 hours on the off chance it gets busy and they certainly won't open a shop to trade for just 6 hours a week or when the GAA finals are on ;) But overall, Tesco's have people on top to make these calls. In the taxi industry, nobody is there to look out for the markets punters or workers and manage it as best they can.

On your last point, Jim; most drivers are unable to leave the industry due to social welfare so there is no mechanism for drivers to leave the trade. As such there is no means for this "market will level out" economic principle to actually take place; this has been well thrashed out and not dealt with by the State.

• Advertisement

Hi Ham&Egger, you haven't addressed the real contradiction in this campaign. Like many areas of the economy, overall taxi revenue is falling. The only way to improve the income of SOME taxi drivers is to reduce the overall number of taxi drivers who are sharing this shrinking revenue; this is simple mathematics which cannot be avoided.

There is simply no other way to improve the income of taxi drivers since it all has to come from this fixed (and shrinking) pie. Everything else is a distraction - no matter what new rules, restrictions and regulations are brought in, unless the number of taxi drivers actually falls there will be no improvement in living standards for the rest. In effect the taxi drivers campaign - to succeed - must force a significant number of drivers out of the business. This is the basic contradiction that I can't get my head around - it's effectively a campaign by taxi drivers to get the government to force some of their number out of the business to improve the lot of the rest.

The problem no individual taxi driver wants to be forced out - if they did they can leave voluntarily anyway - but they want some unspecified others - part-timers, foreigners, new taxi-drivers, drivers with older cars, etc. - to be forced to take the pain for the benefit of the rest. You cannot win with this approach (normally in industrial relations when given the option of redundencies for a few or a cut income for everyone, the workers favour the latter). Unfortunately you are forced into this position by economic reality and the fact that it seems that there is no score for further income cuts if it is correct that most taxi drivers are earning significantly under the minimum wage anyway.

I'm not trying to beat down taxi drivers here; having your income cut is not pleasant for anyone and I don't really blame anyone for trying to campaign to improve their lot. The problem is that your position is completely hopeless given the above contradiction and I believe will achieve nothing. That's my unemotional read on your situation, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I heard a radio ad advertising a number to call for 20% off Dublin taxi rates (cant remember number)

I also see queues of cabs at most taxi ranks at various times

I hear various people commenting about the expense of taxis

This to me indicates excess of supply over demand so logically prices should fall and/or taxi drivers should leave the industry until the market clears...

I dont see any big barriers to entry (buy a decent car, and pass the PSV exam, which doesnt seem that hard in comparison to London where learning the "knowledge" can take years) so no real reason for taxi drivers to be earning big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I agree with gjim and silverside on this.
    Another thing the OP omitted, was that it's the maximum price that's set by the regulator, taxi's are free to charge less.

Tesco's have part-time workers at the checkouts at peak time. While never having to queue can't work due to physical space constraints, you generally find that the busier the store gets the more checkouts are open.

Another option that might work would be to have a centralized "shift" operator for taxis - who dictates which taxi operates where and when -- which is how the Tesco checkouts are managed -- would you be happy being told when and where you were to work though?

I already am, it,s called trying to run a business :mad:

Nobody is asking for the government to do anything other than what was mandated in 2000 and 2003, so far all the balony given out by the government ( via the TR ) is

1 A taxi numbering system that allows for any taxi, anywhere in Ireland, to work anywhere it likes in Ireland, subject to the driver having the right ID card ( which is enforced by 9 people! ) odds on getting caught 10000:1 or there abouts assuming they work 8 hour shifts ( odds on dying in a drowning accident 9000:1 just to compare! )

2 A requirement to carry a Fire Extinguisher, 1st Aid Kit, Pen/pencil and paper, Reflective Jacket and Triangle, Torch

3 A requirement that taxis be less than 9 years old on renewal from 1/1/2012, my argument was and always has been that it should have been on renewal since 1/1/2008, as it is now even new entrants who buy a 2nd hand plate can avail of the 2012 date

4 A complete disregard of Section 36 (still ) which would allow for those with serious convictions to be disallowed a PSV licence

5 Out of all the people arguing that taxi driving is like any other business, only ONE has come up with a business that is price regulated ( energy supply ) and that isn't the same, as energy supply can be to multiple customers at the same time, taxis are one customer at a time, many people have said that business's are price capped by supply and demand, OK goes back to point 1 let the taxis set their own rates, if you want taxi driving to be run under free economy rukes then make it a free economy, I'll compete willingly, but if you're not prepared to allow us to encompass free economy then admit ( even if it's to yourself ) the taxi industry is different

More to follow, but I'm tired and I need my strength to try and avoid snotty bastards sneezing and coughing all over me in the cab

I already am, it,s called trying to run a business :mad:
    I meant a completely centralized taxi operator service that dictated when and where all X thousand of you are at any time?

5 Out of all the people arguing that taxi driving is like any other business, only ONE has come up with a business that is price regulated ( energy supply ) and that isn't the same, as energy supply can be to multiple customers at the same time, taxis are one customer at a time, many people have said that business's are price capped by supply and demand, OK goes back to point 1 let the taxis set their own rates, if you want taxi driving to be run under free economy rukes then make it a free economy, I'll compete willingly, but if you're not prepared to allow us to encompass free economy then admit ( even if it's to yourself ) the taxi industry is different
    1. While energy supply can be sent to multiple customers at the same time, there is still a finite capacity - the grid is only designed to handle so much at any one time.
    2. Telecoms are price regulated -- and there is cell-capacity in a similar sense.
    3. Taxis can set their own rate -- up to a specific cap. I do agree that they need to be allowed to advertise this better.
    More to follow, but I'm tired and I need my strength to try and avoid snotty bastards sneezing and coughing all over me in the cab

That and go and make a fortune anywhere the lazy-ass bus drivers aren't doing their job? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

I have read this thread with much interest. There are some issues that I wasn't familar with and it gave a good insight from a drivers perspective. I've no doubt that it is very difficult to make a living now from it or one is working much greater hours to make up the same level of income. Fares gone up, look fuel and running costs have gone up too so no issues there. Running a car is not cheap anyhow...

Some comments from a punters perspective.

I travel a lot and use taxis several times a week. I find 95% of drivers to be affable, decent fellows who keep their cars clean and take the most direct route. In the last six months I have left glasses/mobile in the car and the drivers dropped them back to me.....fantastic service. In 8 years travelling, only been let down twice on early morning pick ups. In fact, I regularly get the same lads and one or two of them I know well come in to refill their tea mug while I'm getting my bags together...

I personally think that the regulator (like many other Irish regulators, ref: Banking scandal, nursing home scandal etc etc) is a nonsense. Under staffed and no real ability to enforce...the issue around criminals obtaining licences is scandalous. Would I let my partner or any female friends into a taxi and go home alone that I hadn't called from a company or taking the licence plate number off of? Not a chance...

It is unfortunate that like every business the less honourable ones tarnish the others in a trade.

My pet hates?

Radios blaring in the car and a tut when you ask it to be turned down (I always tell the driver before I make/take a mobile call just out of politeness/respect)

The airport:

Minimum fare on the meter before you've even opened the door/boot and then clicking up a notch when you've gone about 20 feet. It was clearly turned on before he reached the top of the queue. I now refuse to get into them if the meter is already on before they've gotten out of the car and take the next car. (you can see the meter from the back of the car if you look closely enough).

Taxi guys working for DAA are friendly enough but they turn a blind eye to everything going on. In fact they don't give a toss..their job is to ensure orderly queing on both sides...

Gas this one....Waiting to hear your accent before they hit the meter...if you're in a suit with a carry on some think you're from the UK or somewhere..ching ching...keep an eye on the minimum fares and extras when there's an English hen party in the queue...same with the Polish/Romanians as they can be easily spotted. DAA didn't put up the minumum fare posters for the sake of it...

Last year a driver charged me the pick up fee at the airport rank. I queried it and he said it was the charge for being "called up from the holding area". I said that this charge had been removed from the fare structure for airport journeys and he replied that he wasn't doing anything illegal and I didn't have to pay it. I said I wouldn't, he got abusive. (Being under some other pressure at the time I didn't get around to making a complaint. I know, I know..I realise I should have for the sake of both the other drivers and customers..in fact I still have the receipt but it doesn't have the charge so his word against mine. He removed it from the meter rapid..)

Another guy kept his hand no the gear shift (merc) and the meter was down at the ashtray...I twigged it..we got to Maxol, I asked him to move his hand and he'd over 7 euros on the meter...I just brought him back to the departures and got out...he pretended there was a mistake on a meter as he forgot to cancel his last fare. From where? What, a pick up from ALSAA? He zeroed the meter pretty quick and said his receipt machine was out of paper/ink. No point pursuing that one....his word against mine.

Sitting in the car, popping the boot lid without even getting out to assist with bags. Doing the same when you complete your journey...and expecting a tip.

Not having adequate change (I mean say change out of a 50 for a 15 euro or so fare), making a big deal about it and then when I offered to go to the a Spar to get change, kept the meter running!! Normally I always have change for small local trips to the pub. I understand security issues with holding change and that a couple of passengers can clean you out with large notes but it's up to the driver to have change, same way you expect it in your shop or pub...not a big bug bear as I try to have more or less the right change...

The above are specific examples and look, are only a few drivers out of the many I come across...as I said, are decent...

Now for the belter. Haven't been in town in a while...out with a few lads..not jarred cos up the next morning.....

Two weekends in town at Molly Malone, bottom of Grafton St around 0230-0300. I was approaching the statue and spotted a couple of taxis sitting there with lights off, windows open, arm on the window ledge. Thought, great. They're touting for some business...I asked the first driver was he free and he said no that he was waiting on a fare. I asked how long he might be waiting as my trip wouldn't be long (I said he should be back in max 20 minutes) and he replied no as the "job was worth 50 euros to him". Yea right I thought and knew what was coming. Second guy had the same story. As did the third. I went to the rank and took my place in the queue. The drivers weren't waiting long and one by one punters had discussions with them and off they went...longer discussions than "My name is Mr XXXX and I booked you earlier". They were obviously prepared to pay the 50 euros. Not my imagination as it happens on College Green also. I think this is the pits. Some guys are not happy to just make a living during the peak time but go out and roll the dice with a couple of punters who are desperate to get home and don't mind paying the price, locked or otherwise. A decent tip is fine but 50 euros for a 5 mile round trip is just ransom money....four of these a night and now you're talking...no minimum wage in that...

Took my place in the queue. Twice drivers with lights on passed by the queue slowly, trying to suss out who was next in line but then drove off..lovely...no inference with this but interesting that the four drivers (including mine) I observed who came straight to the rank and took the next fare in line were all foreign. Take your pick at that time of night and yes, I understand that nobody wants a drunk in their car but come on...cherry picking passengers when they're really needed. It was circa 0230hrs Saturday night....

Maybe when I'm at a rank in Dawson St, I'll skip all the clapped out Carina's and just head for Merc S class'?

No regulators around to police this late nite behaviour but perhaps we should have a name and shame wall? We all have camera phones...

My taxi last night said that he was more than aware of this type of going on.....

Rant over and I repeat my point that most of the drivers I come across are great. Even when you've a few pints on board and a smelly takeaway with you (I always put it in the boot!)...!!!!

Not much effort would rid us of the scroungers I mention above...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and feel free to delete this post if so....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Very interesting post there,

Just a point on the maximum fare charge mentioned above, it should not be seen as the just the maximum amount that a driver can charge which infers that the driver is trying to milk the customer.

A fairer and more appropriate distinction is that is is a predetermined fare charge, set by the regulator which is fair to both passenger and driver.

The driver may not charge over that amount, and the customer is obliged to pay the full amount. Both conditions may be waived upon a mutual agreement before the journey begins.

Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnariogh

ive just recieved my badge and license,and am going to rent a taxi before i turn my car into one,im just wondering if it is better to work from a taxi company or just go solo,also when i collected my badge i only recieved a badge and a sheet of paper,how do i obtain the photo id,any advice would be appreciated,thks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

About the double jobbers: Way back when, when taxi numbers in dublin were very limited, taxi drivers rented out their plates and cars to anyone who wanted to pay them enough. The taxi drivers certainly were not making sure these guys were working a full 40 hour week.

So why are they complaining now that new taxi drivers and part-timers are not adhering to the 40 hour rule?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dunnariogh wrote: »
    ive just recieved my badge and license,and am going to rent a taxi before i turn my car into one,im just wondering if it is better to work from a taxi company or just go solo,also when i collected my badge i only recieved a badge and a sheet of paper,how do i obtain the photo id,any advice would be appreciated,thks

You've put alot of thought and effort into this I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

budfox wrote: »
    I have read this thread with much interest. There are some issues that I wasn't familar with and it gave a good insight from a drivers perspective. I've no doubt that it is very difficult to make a living now from it or one is working much greater hours to make up the same level of income. Fares gone up, look fuel and running costs have gone up too so no issues there. Running a car is not cheap anyhow...

Some comments from a punters perspective.

I travel a lot and use taxis several times a week. I find 95% of drivers to be affable, decent fellows who keep their cars clean and take the most direct route. In the last six months I have left glasses/mobile in the car and the drivers dropped them back to me.....fantastic service. In 8 years travelling, only been let down twice on early morning pick ups. In fact, I regularly get the same lads and one or two of them I know well come in to refill their tea mug while I'm getting my bags together...

I personally think that the regulator (like many other Irish regulators, ref: Banking scandal, nursing home scandal etc etc) is a nonsense. Under staffed and no real ability to enforce...the issue around criminals obtaining licences is scandalous. Would I let my partner or any female friends into a taxi and go home alone that I hadn't called from a company or taking the licence plate number off of? Not a chance...

It is unfortunate that like every business the less honourable ones tarnish the others in a trade.

My pet hates?

Radios blaring in the car and a tut when you ask it to be turned down (I always tell the driver before I make/take a mobile call just out of politeness/respect)

The airport:

Minimum fare on the meter before you've even opened the door/boot and then clicking up a notch when you've gone about 20 feet. It was clearly turned on before he reached the top of the queue. I now refuse to get into them if the meter is already on before they've gotten out of the car and take the next car. (you can see the meter from the back of the car if you look closely enough).

Taxi guys working for DAA are friendly enough but they turn a blind eye to everything going on. In fact they don't give a toss..their job is to ensure orderly queing on both sides...

Gas this one....Waiting to hear your accent before they hit the meter...if you're in a suit with a carry on some think you're from the UK or somewhere..ching ching...keep an eye on the minimum fares and extras when there's an English hen party in the queue...same with the Polish/Romanians as they can be easily spotted. DAA didn't put up the minumum fare posters for the sake of it...

Last year a driver charged me the pick up fee at the airport rank. I queried it and he said it was the charge for being "called up from the holding area". I said that this charge had been removed from the fare structure for airport journeys and he replied that he wasn't doing anything illegal and I didn't have to pay it. I said I wouldn't, he got abusive. (Being under some other pressure at the time I didn't get around to making a complaint. I know, I know..I realise I should have for the sake of both the other drivers and customers..in fact I still have the receipt but it doesn't have the charge so his word against mine. He removed it from the meter rapid..)

Another guy kept his hand no the gear shift (merc) and the meter was down at the ashtray...I twigged it..we got to Maxol, I asked him to move his hand and he'd over 7 euros on the meter...I just brought him back to the departures and got out...he pretended there was a mistake on a meter as he forgot to cancel his last fare. From where? What, a pick up from ALSAA? He zeroed the meter pretty quick and said his receipt machine was out of paper/ink. No point pursuing that one....his word against mine.

Sitting in the car, popping the boot lid without even getting out to assist with bags. Doing the same when you complete your journey...and expecting a tip.

Not having adequate change (I mean say change out of a 50 for a 15 euro or so fare), making a big deal about it and then when I offered to go to the a Spar to get change, kept the meter running!! Normally I always have change for small local trips to the pub. I understand security issues with holding change and that a couple of passengers can clean you out with large notes but it's up to the driver to have change, same way you expect it in your shop or pub...not a big bug bear as I try to have more or less the right change...

The above are specific examples and look, are only a few drivers out of the many I come across...as I said, are decent...

Now for the belter. Haven't been in town in a while...out with a few lads..not jarred cos up the next morning.....

Two weekends in town at Molly Malone, bottom of Grafton St around 0230-0300. I was approaching the statue and spotted a couple of taxis sitting there with lights off, windows open, arm on the window ledge. Thought, great. They're touting for some business...I asked the first driver was he free and he said no that he was waiting on a fare. I asked how long he might be waiting as my trip wouldn't be long (I said he should be back in max 20 minutes) and he replied no as the "job was worth 50 euros to him". Yea right I thought and knew what was coming. Second guy had the same story. As did the third. I went to the rank and took my place in the queue. The drivers weren't waiting long and one by one punters had discussions with them and off they went...longer discussions than "My name is Mr XXXX and I booked you earlier". They were obviously prepared to pay the 50 euros. Not my imagination as it happens on College Green also. I think this is the pits. Some guys are not happy to just make a living during the peak time but go out and roll the dice with a couple of punters who are desperate to get home and don't mind paying the price, locked or otherwise. A decent tip is fine but 50 euros for a 5 mile round trip is just ransom money....four of these a night and now you're talking...no minimum wage in that...

Took my place in the queue. Twice drivers with lights on passed by the queue slowly, trying to suss out who was next in line but then drove off..lovely...no inference with this but interesting that the four drivers (including mine) I observed who came straight to the rank and took the next fare in line were all foreign. Take your pick at that time of night and yes, I understand that nobody wants a drunk in their car but come on...cherry picking passengers when they're really needed. It was circa 0230hrs Saturday night....

Maybe when I'm at a rank in Dawson St, I'll skip all the clapped out Carina's and just head for Merc S class'?

No regulators around to police this late nite behaviour but perhaps we should have a name and shame wall? We all have camera phones...

My taxi last night said that he was more than aware of this type of going on.....

Rant over and I repeat my point that most of the drivers I come across are great. Even when you've a few pints on board and a smelly takeaway with you (I always put it in the boot!)...!!!!

Not much effort would rid us of the scroungers I mention above...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and feel free to delete this post if so....

A

I hear the lads bragging about what they make from this kind of behavior all the time. It has to be stamped out for all our sakes. Everyone has a camera on their phone. When you get into the car video it. Video the meter and video the driver messing you around. Make sure to zoom in on his id too. Then email it off to the regulator AND the papers, because the regulator will do f all unless they think they are gonna be rumbled in the papers.

kearnsr wrote: »
    You've put alot of thought and effort into this I see
    the only effort i put in was passing the knowledge test,let me know if u think i should put anymore in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the only effort i put in was passing the knowledge test,let me know if u think i should put anymore in.

Typical. Put the minimum in and expect the maximum out

Typical. Put the minimum in and expect the maximum out
    and what exactly is your problem about someone getting a taxi license?

and what exactly is your problem about someone getting a taxi license?

You've gone into an industry that will take a lot of work and effort to make a living and you havent put any effort into. No idea what hours to work, how the system works etc.

You've gone into an industry that will take a lot of work and effort to make a living and you havent put any effort into. No idea what hours to work, how the system works etc.
    firstly,im not afraid of work,ive worked since i left school.sacondly what makes u think i dont know what way the system works,maybe i should surrender the license and let u get on with it.

• Advertisement

firstly,im not afraid of work,ive worked since i left school.sacondly what makes u think i dont know what way the system works,maybe i should surrender the license and let u get on with it.

Keep your license. You're obviously on to a winner
    1. you don’t know if you should work for a company or not
    2. you have no idea about what documentation you should have and when/how you should get it

Sounds like you have a well prepared business plan and have covered all eventualities that may arise.

I’ve been more prepared getting a passport

Advertisement