Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis Revisited in General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

yesterday evening i had to pull into a stop to let some elder people off. there was a taxi parked with his hazzards right on it, so i came right up behind him ,flashed him to move. this big monstrosity of a guy gets out and comes up to me and says " sorry bud but i've been broke down for the last half hour see i've got my hazzards on". so i'm saying to myself right how do i get around this guy.next thing these scatly clad girls whatever you want to call them come out of a nearby shop with bags of booze and get into this guys taxi. well you'd want to see the look on my face.i was in complete shock. this guy then ran with his tail between his legs straight into his people carrier and basically legged it.
    this guy had faked a break down so his passengers could run into a shop to get booze. this is the lowest of the low i've ever seen.
    before any taxi drivers jump into defend this guy heres a reply to an e-mail i sent to the regulator some time back.
    "Taxis and Wheelchair Accessible Taxis are permitted to use BUS LANES. A bus stop is only for the use of a bus. The only circumstance that I could think of where a taxi would be at a bus stop is where a passenger at the stop has decided to hail a taxi. However, even in this type of situation, I would expect a taxi driver to stop in a position that did not prevent the stop from being used for its correct purpose."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

yesterday evening i had to pull into a stop to let some elder people off. there was a taxi parked with his hazzards right on it, so i came right up behind him ,flashed him to move. this big monstrosity of a guy gets out and comes up to me and says " sorry bud but i've been broke down for the last half hour see i've got my hazzards on". so i'm saying to myself right how do i get around this guy.next thing these scatly clad girls whatever you want to call them come out of a nearby shop with bags of booze and get into this guys taxi. well you'd want to see the look on my face.i was in complete shock. this guy then ran with his tail between his legs straight into his people carrier and basically legged it.
    this guy had faked a break down so his passengers could run into a shop to get booze. this is the lowest of the low i've ever seen.
    before any taxi drivers jump into defend this guy heres a reply to an e-mail i sent to the regulator some time back.
    "Taxis and Wheelchair Accessible Taxis are permitted to use BUS LANES. A bus stop is only for the use of a bus. The only circumstance that I could think of where a taxi would be at a bus stop is where a passenger at the stop has decided to hail a taxi. However, even in this type of situation, I would expect a taxi driver to stop in a position that did not prevent the stop from being used for its correct purpose."
    Must say you are easily shocked .Sounds to me like you are just a rent a moan kind of person.So he cant park in a bus space but YOU CAN????
    You sure your name is not Victor Meldrew? Get a life ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Must say you are easily shocked .Sounds to me like you are just a rent a moan kind of person.So he cant park in a bus space but YOU CAN????

He can when he's driving a bus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

He's not parking there! He's stopping to let passengers on and off. I'd say he'd be equally displeased if a bus driver stopped to buy something from a shop and left his bus in the bus stop with the hazards on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

He's not parking there! He's stopping to let passengers on and off. I'd say he'd be equally displeased if a bus driver stopped to buy something from a shop and left his bus in the bus stop with the hazards on.
    Yea hes a Victor Meldrew methinks .NO ONE other than a bus can enter the bus space for any reason .

• Advertisement

i wonder how long i'd last if i pulled into a taxi rank to let some people on and off? i'd say all my windows would be smashed by the time the first person got on or off.
    my point is this guy faked a break down at a bus stop basically for a fare.

Yea hes a Victor Meldrew methinks .NO ONE other than a bus can enter the bus space for any reason .
    bus stop oisin , it's called a bus stop :reason is it's the only place we can let people on and off. it's not like we can go around the city stopping where and when we like cloggging the city up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

.NO ONE other than a bus can enter the bus spacestop for any reason .

Yeah pretty much correct there (apart from emergencies etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Lets try to keep it friendly lads, both points are valid, all kearnsr (above) is saying - i think - is that he doesn't think that many operators are putting in enough effort, and hence not providing a good service.

Because of the nature of competition within the industry, it's marginally valuable to provide a good service, and lately the standards have dropping (in my opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnariogh

kearnsr wrote: »
    Keep your license. You're obviously on to a winner

1. you don’t know if you should work for a company or not
    2. you have no idea about what documentation you should have and when/how you should get it
    Sounds like you have a well prepared business plan and have covered all eventualities that may arise.

I’ve been more prepared getting a passport
    its not exactly,rocket science,whats ur problem anyway,i only asked for advice,if u have none to offer dont bother replying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dunnariogh wrote: »
    its not exactly,rocket science,whats ur problem anyway,i only asked for advice,if u have none to offer dont bother replying

If its not rocket science why is there so many taxi drivers complaining on here that they arent earning enough money and the likes of you shouldnt be allowed in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If Taxi drivers really believe standards are dropping then why not introduce a brand of excellence that they can award to drivers going above and beyond what is required in the job and they can place a sticker on their cars and then people can choose to use these taxis over the other taxis?

It really seems like the only acceptable solution to Taxi drivers is to lock down plates and stop more drivers coming in and that they are opposed to trying to innovate the industry and introduce a system that can improve customer satisfaction and get more business that way.

All we ever hear is lock down the plates no other suggestions, it is hard to care given how hard it is has been to get a taxi and the prices being charged at times and disregard on occassion by some drivers when people have gotten taxis when they try to over charge or have a car of poor standard at a rank.

If its not rocket science why is there so many taxi drivers complaining on here that they arent earning enough money and the likes of you shouldnt be allowed in?
    awwww poor you,my heart bleeds for you,the only ones moaning are the ones who had it sewn up for so long,what do u want a closed shop?and what exactly do you mean by "the likes of me"u dont know me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

awwww poor you,my heart bleeds for you,the only ones moaning are the ones who had it sewn up for so long,what do u want a closed shop?and what exactly do you mean by "the likes of me"u dont know me?

i'm not a taxi driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

thebman wrote: »
    If Taxi drivers really believe standards are dropping then why not introduce a brand of excellence that they can award to drivers going above and beyond what is required in the job and they can place a sticker on their cars and then people can choose to use these taxis over the other taxis?

It really seems like the only acceptable solution to Taxi drivers is to lock down plates and stop more drivers coming in and that they are opposed to trying to innovate the industry and introduce a system that can improve customer satisfaction and get more business that way.

All we ever hear is lock down the plates no other suggestions, it is hard to care given how hard it is has been to get a taxi and the prices being charged at times and disregard on occassion by some drivers when people have gotten taxis when they try to over charge or have a car of poor standard at a rank.

I posted this in the other taxi thread. About halfway down the page you will see a download of a framework submission given to Minister Dempsey by Taxi Drivers For Change. It outlines the ideas of many drivers and associations for the future of the business. If you read it you will see its not about locking down plates.

http://irishtaxi.org/

i'm not a taxi driver
    u should be,u sound like you think your an expert on everything lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Having read the Labour partys document for the future of the business, it looks like the way forward with plenty for drivers and customers.

http://www.labour.ie/policy/listing/12415302551793360.html

u should be,u sound like you think your an expert on everything lol

suppose that's one of the skill sets of a taxi driver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

suppose that's one of the skill sets of a taxi driver

Now now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

1. While energy supply can be sent to multiple customers at the same time, there is still a finite capacity - the grid is only designed to handle so much at any one time.
    2. Telecoms are price regulated -- and there is cell-capacity in a similar sense.
    3. Taxis can set their own rate -- up to a specific cap. I do agree that they need to be allowed to advertise this better.

That and go and make a fortune anywhere the lazy-ass bus drivers aren't doing their job? ;)

Much as there is a finite number of customers in Ireland, but IF we were able to take more thasn one customer at a time then savings could be made, just that it's nigh on imposible to service more than one customer at a time in the taxi business, still looking for someone to give a business example that works like taxis....

• Advertisement

bus stop oisin , it's called a bus stop :reason is it's the only place we can let people on and off. it's not like we can go around the city stopping where and when we like cloggging the city up.

Yeah just like yez all park the nitelinks in the bus stops on Fri/Sat night :P

Spook_ie wrote: »
    still looking for someone to give a business example that works like taxis....

Newsagent. Price is set by the magazine companies / newspapers. Finite supply of customers. Can't serve more than one person at once unless you have more than one resource to do so and Hughes and Hughes have to pay money to DAA to ply their trade at the airport.

Newsagent. Price is set by the magazine companies / newspapers. Finite supply of customers. Can't serve more than one person at once unless you have more than one resource to do so and Hughes and Hughes have to pay money to DAA to ply their trade at the airport.

Close, but no coconut,

Price is a recommended price, the retailer can mark up the goods to whatever margin he likes, it's up to you to decide if you want to pay over the odds, like getting a paper on a Ryanair flight,

Finate set of customers, I think we can dispense with that argument as there will always be a finite number of customers based on the population of the world

Can't serve more than one customer, true but you're not likely to get another shops' till passing you and taking the custom

Taxi drivers have to pay DAA ( if they want to work the airport), NCT, Taxi Regulator etc. etc. All businesses have overheads

but I'll give you 6/10 for effort

Close, but no coconut,

Price is a recommended price, the retailer can mark up the goods to whatever margin he likes, it's up to you to decide if you want to pay over the odds, like getting a paper on a Ryanair flight,

Finate set of customers, I think we can dispense with that argument as there will always be a finite number of customers based on the population of the world

Can't serve more than one customer, true but you're not likely to get another shops' till passing you and taking the custom

Taxi drivers have to pay DAA ( if they want to work the airport), NCT, Taxi Regulator etc. etc. All businesses have overheads

but I'll give you 6/10 for effort

Ok, what about a street paper vendor. One man operation. I am not sure about newspapers but know 100% that magazines cannot be discounted or sold above the rate set by Eason.

So, a one man operation with a pitch to sell papers and magazines. He has to pay for his pitch and common liability insurance.

The only difference there is that taxi drivers can discount and the news vendor cannot.

I'd say that's a 90% match.

Price of magazines can be anything you like see thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2054874425.html
    *edit*
    At the oral hearing, Newspread stated that both wholesalers had recently started to include an actual IR£ cover price including VAT for each separate UK magazine on the Delivery Note which accompanied each parcel of magazines. It appears that newsagents now tend to refer to the advice note in order to place the Irish selling price on each magazine, rather than use the ready-reckoner. There was no indication on the Newspread delivery note that the Irish price was recommended or suggested, or that the retailer was free to set his own resale prices. On the Eason’s delivery note, however, it was stated that ‘The determination of the retail price of each publication is a matter to be decided by each retailer’. Easons also produce a document entitled Trade News for its customers, which contains details of specific publications, special issues, promotions, etc. This also carried the above wording, and also stated that the ‘Ready Reckoner contains suggested prices only’.

from http://www.clubi.ie/competition/compframesite/security1/decisions/DEC021.htm *edit end

You think the vendors at traffic lights etc. have liability cover, would be interesting to find out for certain but I doubt it, I doubt they are even paying PRSI etc.

Price of magazines can be anything you like see thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2054874425.html
    *edit*

from http://www.clubi.ie/competition/compframesite/security1/decisions/DEC021.htm *edit end

You think the vendors at traffic lights etc. have liability cover, would be interesting to find out for certain but I doubt it, I doubt they are even paying PRSI etc.

I'll see your first paragraph with the beneath.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=772907&postcount=15

And your second with the fact that they are legally obliged to do both. Many people assume taxi drivers do not pay tax / PRSI at the going rate so maybe that is another similarity?

Not saying that taxis don't but people assume....

I'll raise your post with...

Nowhere does it say he can't or doesn't charge what he feels the customer will stand or that he can mark it up by only 1% if he likes.....

as to the second, you may/may not be correct in the need for liabilty insurance for vending newspapers at the roadside, next time I buy a Herald I'll ask him/her.....:D

But what does it matter anyway? You don't need a valid comparison to be able to understand an individual situation.

What if I were to provide you with an identical comparison and nobody could understand it.

I've come fairly close to a valid comparison with the news vendor but it doesn't really matter as we are not talking about the sale of papers or magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

IF we were able to take more thasn one customer at a time

We can. I can fit 4 in my car.

• Advertisement

We can. I can fit 4 in my car.

Good man Martin.

Advertisement