Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis Revisited in General

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

We can. I can fit 4 in my car.

No you can't do more than one "customer" at a time, unless you're breaaking the law. The meter starts on person/people entering the vehicle and is totalised at the end of the fare when the last person/people get out and pay.

The only way you'd be doing multiple fares is if you do the same as some hacknies plying in the country do and take 4 people for a fixed ( often variable ) fee per head or you're resetting the meter after each drop off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Spook_ie wrote: »
    No you can't do more than one "customer" at a time, unless you're breaaking the law. The meter starts on person/people entering the vehicle and is totalised at the end of the fare when the last person/people get out and pay.

The only way you'd be doing multiple fares is if you do the same as some hacknies plying in the country do and take 4 people for a fixed ( often variable ) fee per head or you're resetting the meter after each drop off

Picked up 4 girls from Malahide last night.
    Dropped the first one in Boroimhe in Swords.
    Second 2 in Ashbourne.
    Last one in Blanch.

First one like the nice girl she was, paid the her friend from Blanch what was on the meter up to when she got out. Second 2 paid her the difference between Swords and Ashbourne plus a fiver.
    Last girl gave me the total fare when i dropped her in Blanch and a nice tip.

Even though i was paid once at the end. I got the equivalent of several different trips.

If i got only one part of that trip i would have been paid only a fraction of what i got for it all together in the end.

This happens a fair bit.

Dress it up any way you want, but it is still 4 customers at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Second 2 in Ashbourne.
    Last one in Blanch.

First one like the nice girl she was, paid the her friend from Blanch what was on the meter up to when she got out. Second 2 paid her the difference between Swords and Ashbourne plus a fiver.

Even though i was paid once at the end. I got the equivalent of several different trips.

If i got only one part of that trip i would have been paid only a fraction of what i got for it all together in the end.

This happens a fair bit.

well bully for you . who gives a sh1t :D:D

Second 2 in Ashbourne.
    Last one in Blanch.

This happens a fair bit.

Don't have to dress it up anyway at all, it's one job ( albeit a nice one ) one trip, one meter on, one meter off or did you do it differently?

Don't have to dress it up anyway at all, it's one job ( albeit a nice one ) one trip, one meter on, one meter off or did you do it differently?

One job. 4 different customers. 3 drops.

• Advertisement

One job. 4 different customers. 3 drops.

It's one job, one customer, the one who pays at the end of the job, what you do or don't do in between is irrelevent, in the context of the argument you can't take two customers and get paid twice in the same time, or are you just being deliberately obtuse

It's one job, one customer, the one who pays at the end of the job, what you do or don't do in between is irrelevent, in the context of the argument you can't take two customers and get paid twice in the same time, or are you just being deliberately obtuse

As i said, 4 Customers in the car. Whats so hard about that for you?

If 4 people go to the cinema and one pays for the tickets, how many customers is that?

If 4 people go for dinner and pay the bill together how many customers were at dinner?

Its like primary school in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

As i said, 4 Customers in the car. Whats so hard about that for you?

If 4 people go to the cinema and one pays for the tickets, how many customers is that?

If 4 people go for dinner and pay the bill together how many customers were at dinner?

Its like primary school in this thread.

Sometimes I have jobs that are delivering parcels to offices or houses; using your example I then have zero customers as there is nobody in the car :)

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Sometimes I have jobs that are delivering parcels to offices or houses; using your example I then have zero customers as there is nobody in the car :)

Hardly. Use the head will you.

Hardly. Use the head will you.

4 people go to screen 2 at the Omni cinema, how many films do they see, 1 or 4? you realy are being obtuse.

The meter goes on, you do the journey, the meter is stopped, it's ONE job not 2,3 or 4 jobs, therefore you can only service one job, to go further along the argument answer this

Who is the hirer of the vehicle and therefore the one who isn't being charged the extras, is it passenger 1,2,3 or 4?

Despite your prevarications you know and everyone else knows it's one job, so stop trying to split fares and make out you had 4 customers, you had 1 customer and 3 passangers, at the end of the day the last one in the cab paid you and you wouldn't give a monkeys cuss if she paid for the whole fare out of her pocket or if her friends had contributed or not, or are you such a gentleman that if at the end she had said "my friends didn't contribute so I'm only paying you 1/4 of the total, go back and see them for the rest" you would have!

Just as an after thought, if they had all asked for receipts ( as customers they would have been entitled to one ) how would you have done that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Just as an after thought, if they had all asked for receipts ( as customers they would have been entitled to one ) how would you have done that?

He'd claim that the printer is jakago'd, like most hooky drivers do!

IF we were able to take more thasn one customer at a time then savings could be made, just that it's nigh on imposible to service more than one customer at a time in the taxi business

You never answered my questions about customers in the cinema or a restaurant.

Argue whatever way you like I had 4 Customers in the car.

If they wanted separate receipts they could have them. I would have no problem with it.

If they wanted separate receipts they could have them. I would have no problem with it.

Not every meter can print receipts without closing off on a reading; what sort of meter have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Second 2 in Ashbourne.
    Last one in Blanch.

This happens a fair bit.

Not sure if I understand fully the way you charged - did you stop and restart the meter - if so you broke the law!Or was it 4 friends together who split the cost of the trip between them & gave you a tip? If so that's only one fare with 4 drops?

Run them all on the meter. Don't charge extras per person. Then when each person / group gets out you charge them the metered fare. Tis the best all round.

So you mean when the 1 st person get out and the meter reads €12 they pay that and when the 2nd gets out and the meter reads €20 they pay that and so on.... I could live ( royaly ) with that, maybe that's how some drivers claim to be making a fortune

From the TRs website
    Who is the hirer at a rank?

The hirer at the rank is the person who engages the driver for the journey.

Now if 4 people get into a car how many people are

a The Hirer
    b The Extra Passengers

I'll give you a clue TMC seeing as you seem to have a problem working out numbers, the answers are between 1 and 4 and total 4

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Not every meter can print receipts without closing off on a reading; what sort of meter have you got?

There are many options for giving them receipts.
    Tell me, what do you do when you run out of paper?

amtaxi wrote: »
    Not sure if I understand fully the way you charged - did you stop and restart the meter - if so you broke the law!Or was it 4 friends together who split the cost of the trip between them & gave you a tip? If so that's only one fare with 4 drops?

4 friends together.
    1 fare.
    1 tip (which i love when they've just parted with a nice lump of money which goes into my pocket anyway. God i love the new found tipping culture in Ireland)

How many customers to you think i carried though? That is what spook is not able to understand, god love him.

You didn't answer my question, what type of meter have you got in your taxi? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

1 tip (which i love when they've just parted with a nice lump of money which goes into my pocket anyway. God i love the new found tipping culture in Ireland)

And, of course, you remember to declare your tips for tax purposes? :D

And, of course, you remember to declare your tips for tax purposes? :D

I think he has already said he doesn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

so you illegally operate your taxi when you run out of paper?
    you should have a spare roll with you.

In respect of a taxi, the receipt shall include:

1. The full fare (including all extras which shall be indicated separately) chargeable for the hire,
    2. The date, starting time and finishing time of the hire,
    3. The total distance travelled in kilometres,
    4. The licence number of the taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi,
    5. The unique identification mark (registration number) of the vehicle,
    6. The receipt number (in sequential order),
    7. A space at the foot of the receipt headed “Tips/Discounts/Tolls”, and
    8. Such other relevant information as may be determined by the Commission for Taxi Regulation.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/industry/rights-and-responsibilities/receipt-information.html

have you answered the lads questions in relation to what meter you have?
    ive never seen a meter that can legally print 4 receipts for the 4 journies that started on one metered fare.
    Run them all on the meter. Don't charge extras per person. Then when each person / group gets out you charge them the metered fare. Tis the best all round.

the only problem i can see with that is that your restarting the meter each time and hence the passenger is getting hit with the €4.10 initial charge each time.

kceire wrote: »
    so you illegally operate your taxi when you run out of paper?
    you should have a spare roll with you.

In respect of a taxi, the receipt shall include:

1. The full fare (including all extras which shall be indicated separately) chargeable for the hire,
    2. The date, starting time and finishing time of the hire,
    3. The total distance travelled in kilometres,
    4. The licence number of the taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi,
    5. The unique identification mark (registration number) of the vehicle,
    6. The receipt number (in sequential order),
    7. A space at the foot of the receipt headed “Tips/Discounts/Tolls”, and
    8. Such other relevant information as may be determined by the Commission for Taxi Regulation.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/industry/rights-and-responsibilities/receipt-information.html

have you answered the lads questions in relation to what meter you have?
    ive never seen a meter that can legally print 4 receipts for the 4 journies that started on one metered fare.

the only problem i can see with that is that your restarting the meter each time and hence the passenger is getting hit with the €4.10 initial charge each time.

I was only making a joke. If someone drives from Church St to Griffith Avenue with 4 passengers, puts the meter on at 4.10. First person gets out near the Mater and pays what's on the meter €5. Second person gets out at Quinn's, pays what's on the meter €7, third person AIB Drumcondra €8 and fourth Griffith Avenue €10, netting €30 for a €10 journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

lads [well the taxi drivers here ] why do yous bother with this guy taximan martin . read his other posts in other threads . he gets his jollies on sh1t talking .i know who he is and he got ejected from a taxi drivers site [which he admits himself ] spook knows who he is .
    let him off in his fantasy world,and he,ll stop posting the rubbish .

I put a new roll in as per legal requirements, what do you do?

Advertisement