Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial and Financial Studies

Options
  • 06-04-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

First choice on cao but worried I'm gonna fail in first year even if i'm lucky enough to get it. How difficult is it? I'm guessing very! But as much information as possible from a student doing it would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

first year in most courses is easy enough. you'll only fail by reason of extreme laziness / drink / drugs, most commonly the first combined with the second.

i know people in the course and if you keep up with the work then you'll be ok. the hardest thing i imagine is getting into it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ruby18

I am in final year and I would agree with the above post! The first year courses aren't too difficult. Likewise for second year...it only really gets tough in third and fourth. It would be difficult however for someone who was not naturally interested in/good at maths and statistics - as that naturally makes up 90% of the courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ddddd

just got this course from cao today, got a B2 in maths though so I don't know if I will be able for it even though I really like all maths..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

Pure maths is only done in 1st year - you do Algebra and Calculus, 2 general Arts / Science courses with about 200 people in them. The material is a little step up in difficulty from leaving cert. First year is the easy year anyway, you'll have the time to give the maths more attention if you need to.

After first year, the maths is OK, you're dealing with statistical distributions and discounting cashflows, rather than calculus. Other than a bit of integration or differentiation, it's no relation to the leaving cert maths course

After 1st year the workload is insane, you start doing the actuarial subjects and you're just in the BAFS class most of the time. Nothing too difficult to understand, just a big volume of work and the standard is very high in the exams

edit: the old course director had statistics on what factors determine the what results people got on the degree, can't remember how important leaving cert maths was

Advertisement