Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemaine Sportsfield on Liveline Today (Monday 6th April)

Options
  • 06-04-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just caught the end of a piece on Liveline today about a dispute between the GAA and people in the local community over the use of a Sportsfield somewhere in Kerry.

Anyone know what's going on down there? It sounded very bitter.

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

Just listening to the full Liveline podcast now - Jees that's rough! Sounds like we're back in the 1950's!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 47 badkittybad

More like civil war again,ploughing the field was a tad provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

And from the podcast, it sounds like it was done very early in the morning - that's pretty cowardly of the local GAA club I think :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That was a dirty move by that GAA club,i hope it turns people against them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

And from the podcast, it sounds like it was done very early in the morning - that's pretty cowardly of the local GAA club I think :mad:

Usual dispute as to who owns the field, the community or the GAA. Chairman of the Co.Board gave go ahead for it to be ploughed and it has polarised the whole community. One would have thought that dialogue was the way to go considering that Kerry Co.Board need to go fundraising.

Wonder where Sean Kelly would stand on this one when he comes looking for votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

if only there was an American invloved, it would be a perfect oppurtunity for "Get off my field yank!"

also a hole was dug in the middle of a GAA pitch nearby the same night

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I've been doing some more reading up on this....intriguing story.

There's more than a touch of a John B.Keane play about the whole thing allright.

Or maybe a bad episode of Killinaskully :-)
    "Lads we dont want dim feckin foreign sports being played on our Field!"

I would seem that a minority in the local GAA have managed to galvanise practically the entire local community against them now with this miscalculated move. (i.e. the ploughing of a field used by a small soccer club, an athlethics club and local kids.)

Apparently, it was also used by the local Community Council for holding Fairs, community games, summer camps etc. That won't be happening for while now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

new allotments going for rent in Castlemaine !!

Its all about rule 42 no ?

.... GAA property may only be used for the purpose or in connection with the playing of games controlled by the association, and shall not be used or permitted to be used, for Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing, or for Field Games other than those sanctioned by Central Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 badkittybad

Not quite,the field was given to the community in 1930's but the trustees were members of the GAA hence they held the deeds.Ownership of the field is questionable.

The soccor team and others have been using and maintaining the field for several years so their claim to use the field has merits but I cannot see Castlemaine FC able to afford legal help.

Add the fact that the field is in Keel parish and you end up with a hell of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not quite,the field was given to the community in 1930's but the trustees were members of the GAA hence they held the deeds.Ownership of the field is questionable.

The soccor team and others have been using and maintaining the field for several years so their claim to use the field has merits but I cannot see Castlemaine FC able to afford legal help.

Add the fact that the field is in Keel parish and you end up with a hell of a mess.
    Probably be better off planting spuds in it...
    .. GAA property may only be used for the purpose or in connection with the playing of games controlled by the association, and shall not be used or permitted to be used, for Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing, or for Field Games other than those sanctioned by Central Council.
    Fine if its a GAA field but if
    the field was given to the community in 1930's
    What right have the GAA to tear up the field??

Why cant people just get along...A soccer ball has the same air in it as a football!!
    Seems like there is no community spirit in the GAA down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Any updates on the situation from anyone in the know?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

This seems to heve happened a lot where property was given to the community but the trustees were members of the GAA and the property was vested in the organisation. I can think of 2 other parishes whereby this happened but there was no Soccer or Rugby Club to object.

Demonstration taking place on Sunday at the Kerry Galway game

newman10 wrote: »
    Demonstration taking place on Sunday at the Kerry Galway game
    Did this take place?

Is there anything new to report on the subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

the GAA ploughed u the pitch late at night, the locals reseeded it and rolled it, and now the pitch is the most lush in Ireland. thanks GAA, can u plough up my lawn for me?

What is the current situation? Is there still a dispute over the field?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sainttrap

Things have quietened down. The soccer club have played their home games on the field this season. Have a feeling its not the end of it yet though.

Advertisement