Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland - Can I get extra download allowance addon?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with Imagine now. You can buy an addon to give you up to 60GB download a month (rather than the 20GB they provide as standard).

I'm looking at BT Ireland option 2 for broadband but the download limit is 30GB/month. I'd like to be able to purchase more.

The option 3 doesn't suit me because my line only supports up to 3Mb so it seems very excessive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

UTV do an "unlimited" addon for 5.99, They are pretty similar in price to BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The 'limit' is 30GB but people don't get throttled until they hit 100GB so for all intents and purposes the limit is 100GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hmm ... looking at it again there's no charge for going over the cap anyway :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The 'limit' is 30GB but people don't get throttled until they hit 100GB so for all intents and purposes the limit is 100GB
    Yea but once you go over 100GB transfer in a 30day period, your line is back to dial up speeds..

Hmm... Why didn't I notice the lack of charging sooner. I must be an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Random wrote: »
    I'm with Imagine now. You can buy an addon to give you up to 60GB download a month (rather than the 20GB they provide as standard).

I'm looking at BT Ireland option 2 for broadband but the download limit is 30GB/month. I'd like to be able to purchase more.

The option 3 doesn't suit me because my line only supports up to 3Mb so it seems very excessive.

Thanks

How do you know it only supports 3Mb? I only got 3Mb while on Option 2, but I get 7.6Mb on Option 3.

Although you are probably better off on option 2 if the 'throttle' limit is the same 100gb as Option 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

He's talking about the maximum speeds his line can handle (being 3MB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

cpu-dude wrote: »
    He's talking about the maximum speeds his line can handle (being 3MB).

I was just saying that if he was assuming its 3Mb because he only gets 3Mb on the BT 7.6MB package then thats not the case.

I'm saying it's 3meg because this is what every dsl provider has told me when i've wanted to upgrade and was willing to pay for higher packages if only to increase my speeds by a meg or two.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Another suggestions for UTV Internet, been using them since June/July, pretty happy with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    So if you have a 30GB download limit, you are safe to go to 100GB and not be charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I was on option two, used 40GB in a month (They changed the language a while ago to usage instead of download, so your upload counts too), got throttled to hell, had to upgrade to option 3 to get speeds back. The limit is 30GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Do you know if BT can offer 24Mbps in your area? While your line won't get 24Mbps, you may get more than 3. They use different technology to offer 24Mbps so it may give higher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cabaal wrote: »
    Another suggestions for UTV Internet, been using them since June/July, pretty happy with them
    well worth considering if you want to phone UK landlines in the evening too

BT don't do the ADSL2 or whatever it is on my line. 3Mb is the total max they can offer they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I was told that I could only get 3mb on bt also. When I upgraded to the unlimited package it went up to 7.6mb no problems.

Strange that huh?

Gangsters.
    Random wrote: »
    BT don't do the ADSL2 or whatever it is on my line. 3Mb is the total max they can offer they said.

Shulgin wrote: »
    I was told that I could only get 3mb on bt also. When I upgraded to the unlimited package it went up to 7.6mb no problems.

Strange that huh?

Gangsters.
    I've asked numerous people in numerous ISPs though. As incompetent as they sometimes are I find it hard to believe that no broadband ISP wants to sell me a higher package for a higher monthly amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm on option 2 the 30GB cap and I up/downloaded about 60GB last month, no throttle and speeds still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I'm on option 2 the 30GB cap and I up/downloaded about 60GB last month, no throttle and speeds still fine.
    I did 47GB and got done, wait for it, they'll get ya, unless you somehow slipped through the net.

Advertisement