Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding it very hard to

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

get excited about Spurs for the rest of the season. Now that we're safe we're in that no-mans land football vacume between 8th and 13th place just seeing out the remaining games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with what has been achieved since early November and we're a lot safer a lot earlier than I thought we would be.

I'm happy with Harry and the players he's signed and I fully expect him to add more quality in the summer.

But I won't be getting giddy about another game until next Aug. It's all about next season now for me. Anyone else feel the same ??

PS. I don't want UEFA football next season - mickey mouse competition that fcuks up the league schedule. Half empty stadiums, Thurs nights, 21 games to the final, no thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Completely agree with you Dublin spur on uefa cup next season , dont want it coz it will fcuk up our top 4 push. But i wouldnt be saying i dont want uefa cup football too loud coz it was pointed out to me in previous thread by recklessone we could be disrespecting clubs tradition by not wanting mickeymouse footie at the lane next season! we'll just play sh1te teams next season in half empty stadiums and play the majority of our league games on sunday and if we get past the group stages and were involved in any domestic cups , top 4 push , relegation battles etc then we'll play the under 12s in the uefa cup....no thanks dont want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

get excited about Spurs for the rest of the season. Now that we're safe we're in that no-mans land football vacume between 8th and 13th place just seeing out the remaining games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with what has been achieved since early November and we're a lot safer a lot earlier than I thought we would be.

I'm happy with Harry and the players he's signed and I fully expect him to add more quality in the summer.

But I won't be getting giddy about another game until next Aug. It's all about next season now for me. Anyone else feel the same ??

PS. I don't want UEFA football next season - mickey mouse competition that fcuks up the league schedule. Half empty stadiums, Thurs nights, 21 games to the final, no thanks.

Agreed regarding the season end and being in no mans land. After the game on Saturday, I did'nt know what to feel. Lets just say my emotions were not as high as they have been for the season to date while watching Spurs.

Although I wanted to get a hold of the prick Diouf after the whistle.....

Disagree regarding the Uefa. I think our Club should be in Europe season after season. It helped several other clubs take the leap to the CL. and I think we need it to develop aswell. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

Still pining for the european classic nights to return to the lane. i feel most games have been an anticlimax despite the excellent bias commentry on Spurs TV :D

i do agree that we need to be playing in europe to develope and building a squad with balance to cope with the busy season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Top 4 push - you must be joking. The side is still too poor for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Agree Shane - give me as many Saturday fixtures as possible, avoidance of UEFA unless we want to seriously try to win it and Champions lge football.

Cant see why we cant do it - our record against top 5 is excellent - its the bottom 5 who are killing us!

Harry has done a good job - there will be a mini clear out in July but i dont expect to see huge numbers incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

galinka wrote: »
    avoidance of UEFA unless we want to seriously try to win it and Champions lge football.

Cant see why we cant do it - our record against top 5 is excellent - its the bottom 5 who are killing us!

Harry has done a good job - there will be a mini clear out in July but i dont expect to see huge numbers incoming.

Excellent point. We should be going all out to win the Uefa Cup if we were to get there. We will have a good squad with back-up in every position so I cant see why we could'nt go close to winning it.

To get anywhere near top 4, a very good start is vital from August,and fingers crossed Harry does some good business in the summer .

kmick wrote: »

Dont agree. Record against top 4 this season P6 W2 D4 L0 . Its the inconsistency against the bottom half of the table teams thats been killing us.The addition of 2 or 3 more players and i reckon we'll have a right go at it next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

3 more players for what positions berba ?

When i posted about summer signings most thought that our squad was fine and needed little changing ( to my amazement)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

BERBA wrote: »
    Dont agree. Record against top 4 this season P6 W2 D4 L0 . Its the inconsistency against the bottom half of the table teams thats been killing us.The addition of 2 or 3 more players and i reckon we'll have a right go at it next season.

Thats nonsense. No team who loses against average to poor sides as much as Spurs do can hope to be anywhere near the top.

dmcevoy24 wrote: »
    3 more players for what positions berba ?

When i posted about summer signings most thought that our squad was fine and needed little changing ( to my amazement)

imo positions we need looking at

Left back ( dont rate assou ekotto) , left mid , centre half ( assuming ledders will only play half the games next season if were lucky!) , striker ( again assuming 'arry ships bent out the door)

Wouldnt change keeper coz his form in middle part of season tells me he deserves a shot next season at no 1.

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »

But surely we cant be that poor a side in that we have more than matched the elite teams in premiership to date over 6 matches and gone unbeaten. if we get it right from the start next season against the so called weaker teams then we've got a chance. After all harry did say and has been saying for the last 6 months (yawn !)that when he came in we had 2 points from 8 games !!..all about the start next season lads.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

imo positions we need looking at

Left back ( dont rate assou ekotto) , left mid , centre half ( assuming ledders will only play half the games next season if were lucky!) , striker ( again assuming 'arry ships bent out the door)

Wouldnt change keeper coz his form in middle part of season tells me he deserves a shot next season at no 1.

I'd go along with this, though I rate Benny and would be happy to keep him there. I think we need another option on the left. Modric really has made the position his own but we still need an alternative for when he's not playing well or is being marked out of the game. If King plays as often as he has recently I'd be happy with our back line (including our keepers) but I feel we still need another option in the centre.

I believe Jenas has been class in the last few games and against Blackburn he was very impressive in all aspects of his game. He seems to have formed a very good partnership with Palacios, but my worry is that Palacios gets booked often and will no doubt injure himself at some stage, which means we lose 1.5 players as Jenas doesn't work with Zokora or Huddlestone. A player that can either replace Jenas or work with him would be a big priority.

And finally, to our strikers. I like the effort Bent has put in recently, and although he's still not scoring many goals, he's making a nuisance of himself and giving himself a chance. Still, goals are the name of his game and he's not scoring enough so he may be replaced. I'm also unsure about Pav - he's shown flashes of what he's about, but I don't know if he's good enough. Keane and Defoe can stay, so if we got rid of one of Pav/Bent and got someone better in, along with keeping the likes of Jenas, Lennon, Corluka, etc, I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

But surely we cant be that poor a side in that we have more than matched the elite teams in premiership to date over 6 matches and gone unbeaten. if we get it right from the start next season against the so called weaker teams then we've got a chance. After all harry did say and has been saying for the last 6 months (yawn !)that when he came in we had 2 points from 8 games !!..all about the start next season lads.............

I think you have hit the nail on the head - WE DON'T and haven't for years managed to get any real consistency in our season.

Changing managers and players hasn't helped - I will say it again - IF, we could hold on to exactly the same team we have this season for next I would be very, very happy!

Get the team to gel, they have individual skill, with the right coaching there is no reason why this team can not be in the position Villa were this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If we have no involvement in the UEFA we would (in theory) have a much better chance of challenging top 4. If you remember back to 05/06, we came within 1 game of top 4. That season we had no Eupopean football and we were knocked out of both domestic cups in the 1st rounds. These defeats helped us greatly to challenge the top 4.

There's simply no way we can make and sustain a top 4 challenge with the distriction of other lesser competitions. A season of 38 league games and 2 cup games would give us every chance. We have to prioritise and as a 2nd level club we have no hope of top 4 if we're involved with cup ties.

Just my opinion, but the sooner we're out of the cups next season the better. At worst use the cup games to blood the youngsters, however the 1st team squad should not be involved at all. I have a funny feeling Harry thinks the same too.

We have to gamble to have any chance of top 4, a 40 game season would give us a decent chance.
    05/06 proved this beyond any doubt. Anyway, I'm blabering on a bit now, I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

If we have no involvement in the UEFA we would (in theory) have a much better chance of challenging top 4. If you remember back to 05/06, we came within 1 game of top 4. That season we had no Eupopean football and we were knocked out of both domestic cups in the 1st rounds. These defeats helped us greatly to challenge the top 4.

There's simply no way we can make and sustain a top 4 challenge with the distriction of other lesser competitions. A season of 38 league games and 2 cup games would give us every chance. We have to prioritise and as a 2nd level club we have no hope of top 4 if we're involved with cup ties.

Just my opinion, but the sooner we're out of the cups next season the better. At worst use the cup games to blood the youngsters, however the 1st team squad should not be involved at all. I have a funny feeling Harry thinks the same too.

We have to gamble to have any chance of top 4, a 40 game season would give us a decent chance.
    05/06 proved this beyond any doubt. Anyway, I'm blabering on a bit now, I'll leave it there.

The last line is the most sensible thing you wrote:D;) How do you propose we manage when get into the supposed Holy Grail of the top4?

yiddo wrote: »
    The last line is the most sensible thing you wrote:D;) How do you propose we manage when get into the supposed Holy Grail of the top4?

Very true, got on a bit of a roll there - Lets worry about Champs league when it happens Pat - it'll be nice problem to have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Very true, got on a bit of a roll there - Lets worry about Champs league when it happens Pat - it'll be nice problem to have :)

what about all them extra matches and Sunday games ?:D;)

yiddo wrote: »
    what about all them extra matches and Sunday games ?:D;)

No bother Pat - When you're a big fish, playing CL football and sitting in the top 4 regulary it's a lot easier to stay up there then being the smaller fish trying to break in.

Anyway, lets worry about that if/when it happens ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

7th isn't dead yet. Would need to beat Hammers and Everton, but why fear Old trafford with the form both teams are in. We should have beaten Blackburn, but Samba was a nightmare, and the sending off killed us. Palacios left a gaping hole, and Zokora should have immediately come on, possibly bentley as well in midfield. I hope and believe we could be in Europe next year. With the size of our squad, keeping everyone match fit and happy will be difficult without European football. With a couple of good signings, we would have 20-24 players worth a run, and the idea that we would be better out of Europe doesn't stack up if you imagine a team based on the current 1st 11 .Allowing for 3-5 sales, that still leaves most of Cudicini, Chimbonda, Dawson, Hutton, Bale, Bentley, Zokora, O Hara, Huddlestone, O Hara, Defoe and Pavluchenko plus Taarabt, Gunther, Gio, and any new signings in the mix. With none of the squad cup tied, a massive problem over the last couple of seasons, especially in Europe, Euro nights can be embraced and used to develop momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wonder what harry's going to talk about post match next season? No more 2 points from 8 games. I can't wait to see who he brings in this summer. Can't wait for next season now with the defense looking solid for the first time in years I'm really hopeful for a stellar season next year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

would you like to be in s/f now we have matchs to look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 IlikePostcards

Forgive me for being a bit daft about some of this, as I’ve only followed the Spurs for about eight months, but I’m thrilled to death that we are in contention for 7th place. I agree that Harry has made a huge improvement, based on what the Spurs Supporters Club has alluded to under Jol and Ramos, and can only hope that next season we can sign a few more players to complete the already great team.

I think there is some pessimism on your part Dublin Spur, to think that you wouldn’t enjoy the rest of the season; any chance to watch Pav and Keane and Lennon take on a team is always a good time. Then again, see the first sentence above, to see why I’m so optimistic. Also, that is the reason why I like UEFA cup. It’s not Mickey Mouse competition, and Thursday night games are just another way of getting all the lads together for a pint and show some love for football. It is another chance at getting some silverware back into WHL.

I have to agree with kmick, top 4 does seem a bit far-fetched at the current moments. Let’s see how the 4+7 for 2010-2011; 5+6 for 2011-2012; and 6+5 for 2012-2013, works out for teams like Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea. I think we will be okay in that regards, but it will change some other squads up.

My opinions about changes:
    Keep: Gomes, Lennon, Pav, Palacios, Modric, Keane, Dawson, Cudicini, O’Hara, and Woodgate.

On the fence about Zokora, Huddlestone, Jenas, Campbell, Chimbonda, Corluka, Defoe, and Assou-EkottoKing

Toss: Bentley, Bent, and King (I know, I know)

No opinion: Hutton, Bale, and Alnwick

Cheers,
    Kristin

Ilike,

you said it , i'm forgiving you for being so daft with that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thats a very good point arsenal for one will struggle to find english players to play there kind of football Defence I suppose is where most teams will stick there english contingent. I think we'll be ok and improve things are really looking up I just hope this isn't another false dawn:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Forgive me for being a bit daft about some of this, as I’ve only followed the Spurs for about eight months, but I’m thrilled to death that we are in contention for 7th place. I agree that Harry has made a huge improvement, based on what the Spurs Supporters Club has alluded to under Jol and Ramos, and can only hope that next season we can sign a few more players to complete the already great team.

I think there is some pessimism on your part Dublin Spur, to think that you wouldn’t enjoy the rest of the season; any chance to watch Pav and Keane and Lennon take on a team is always a good time. Then again, see the first sentence above, to see why I’m so optimistic. Also, that is the reason why I like UEFA cup. It’s not Mickey Mouse competition, and Thursday night games are just another way of getting all the lads together for a pint and show some love for football. It is another chance at getting some silverware back into WHL.

I have to agree with kmick, top 4 does seem a bit far-fetched at the current moments. Let’s see how the 4+7 for 2010-2011; 5+6 for 2011-2012; and 6+5 for 2012-2013, works out for teams like Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea. I think we will be okay in that regards, but it will change some other squads up.

My opinions about changes:
    Keep: Gomes, Lennon, Pav, Palacios, Modric, Keane, Dawson, Cudicini, O’Hara, and Woodgate.

On the fence about Zokora, Huddlestone, Jenas, Campbell, Chimbonda, Corluka, Defoe, and Assou-EkottoKing

Toss: Bentley, Bent, and King (I know, I know)

No opinion: Hutton, Bale, and Alnwick

Cheers,
    Kristin
    Why Hutton, he was excellent when he came on for Dawson yesterday,Bale is only 19 give him a chance he's learning,and i'm not even going to comment about the KING..:rolleyes:

I think there is some pessimism on your part Dublin Spur, to think that you wouldn’t enjoy the rest of the season; any chance to watch Pav and Keane and Lennon take on a team is always a good time. Then again, see the first sentence above, to see why I’m so optimistic.

Also, that is the reason why I like UEFA cup. It’s not Mickey Mouse competition, and Thursday night games are just another way of getting all the lads together for a pint and show some love for football.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just honest. I am not excited about any of our remaining games this season. I'm not saying that these games are boring. For example, I'll enjoyed watching the Newcastle game on Sunday, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat while it was on and I didn't think too much about it until it started. I'm very happy that we won but it won't last too long in the memory. Just an average home league win with us sitting in mid-table.

As for UEFA, if I was selfish I'd rather us qualify so I could see us on the telly more often and have a few pints after work on Thurs nights and have a bit of craic. But in my opinion our best chance of making and sustaining a challenge for the top 4 positions is by sacrificing the cups. I don't think any 2nd teir club can do it with the distraction of lesser competitions. We came close on 05/06 after we were knocked out of every cup game in the 1st game. That's what I'm basing my position on. I think Harry shares this view too. Cups are nice but the real acheivement would be CL qualification and the money and players that come with it. I hate that the cups have been devalued but sadly that's the game today, and I reluctantly accept that the only way forward in terms of long term sucess is regular CL football and this can't be acheived if we're busy in micky mouse 2nd rate competitions.

Just my opinion, each to their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 IlikePostcards

For feck’s sake. A suburban girl from America comes all this way to Dublin, finds Spurs by freaking accident, and right after I bravely voice my naïve opinions to all you veteran Spurs fans, I get torn to shreds. Let me clarify: my first game was October 26, 2008. The Bolton game; and I listened to that in a car ride back from Galway, hungover.

Okay, Hutton because I have no real exposure to him, and yes, he did wonderfully when Dawson went out. Bale is just a kid, and again if you read my post, it says ‘no opinion,’ for both of them, as in, either way, I don’t mind.

I’m sorry; I know it’s loyalty to King and to the Club, and even Jol has been credited to say that King is “the best central defender he has seen in his career”, but I just don’t see him when he plays. He’s either, one: injured with the constant knee problems that he is having at 28 years of age, or two: never seems to make a difference when he is on the pitch. (and don't quote me goals, because as Harry said, King is "'an absolute freak' for being able to perform at a high level despite not training."

We are mid-table and should be happy that we’re not fighting for regulation like West Brom, Newcastle, and Middlesbrough. We were there not too long ago, and so quickly we forget…

I respect ya’lls opinion, but I think the more games we play as a team, the more chances our players get to know one another; they can learn how to anticipate actions and reactions. We are losing an opportunity here to give our players time to play real football with each other, and learn what is like to work together. Harry does not share this view, as it has been only once (twice?) that he has fielded the same lineup for games.

We might be resting some of our team for other, and more important games, but it just doesn’t seem like we are promoting team togetherness by not jumping on every chance to get these boys to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No ones tearing you to shreds ILP,just giving different opinions thats all,your fine.COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I’m sorry; I know it’s loyalty to King and to the Club, and even Jol has been credited to say that King is “the best central defender he has seen in his career”, but I just don’t see him when he plays. He’s either, one: injured with the constant knee problems that he is having at 28 years of age, or two: never seems to make a difference when he is on the pitch. (and don't quote me goals, because as Harry said, King is "'an absolute freak' for being able to perform at a high level despite not training."

its so much more than just the fact that he doesnt play as much as he should.

the very capable Terry Henry once named King as the best player he had every played against. that is no small plaudit considering the man was the best player in the league for about 3 years running.
    King also plays a monumental game for someone who never trains. hes even been picked for england with the coach fully knowing he cant train.

but its more than his ability. its the fact he came through our youth system. its the fact that he studied under Sol Campbell, and while Campbell left us to go to arsenal, King has never ever wanted to go anywhere but spurs. his commitment to the club has been top class. he si the club captain, he is a very important part of our club, our history, our tradition, and i dont think anyone would every want to see him go.

on the other hand, if we find a better centre back who can train and play week in and week out, then by all means, stick him in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I hope we only change a couple of players. BAE is a perfect example of how a player can respond to a run in the side. If a really good player is available at a sensible price and he does not have recurrent injury problems, let's get him in, and ship out a squaddie in the same area. Remember though, that's a lot to get right. Roque Santa Cruz has knee trouble again, and is a good striker, but how many games would he be fit for. Ledley , if he ever retires, should be kept around the place, he's a future manager. His knees could stabilise yet, Peter Reid and Paul McGrath are two examples of players who overcame troublesome knees to have long careers, but we shouldn't buy (potential) trouble. Petrov was a player any, me included, wanted. but he's hardly played this season, and Berbatov would hardly have stayed due to his presence in the stands.
    A stable squad is the key to improvement. Letting the like of malbranque go was a mistake. Furthermore, we have 11 players- a full team- out on loan at present. Some, like Boetang, won't be back, but many could follow in Jamie O Hara's footsteps, and we need a homegrown, or at least nurtured, nuceus. Bale, Gunther, Taarabt, Dervitte, Gio, all kids, all with something.
    Kirsten is right about Europe. The club responds, at all levels, to night games in the all white strip. With a balnced squad, our fringe players would be well good enough to base a Europa cup run on. The games would keep them fresh and match sharp.
    Onwards and upwards- beat Uited and 7th is ours for the taking, and we go into next season knowing we're good enough.

Advertisement