Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepard pup eats own poop ?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

He is well fed with dog food, will his bad habit do him any harm ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

It wont do him any harm as long as he is wormed etc.... it could be because his faeces contain alot of undigested food, has he always been on the same food? maybe you should try and switch brands to see if that helps.

you can also feed him pinapple and this will make his faeces undesirable to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

mine did it for a week or two when he was around 3-4 months old, just stopped all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

My lad does it the whole time too, looked it up on line several times and seemingly it's quite normal !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

My Fella used to do it as well when we first got him (4-6 months), I had a word an owner of a pet shop. He asked me what we were feeding him (which was a certain leading brand beginning with P), he told me that the brand in question wasn't that nutritous. We changed the brand, and it stopped overnight. Whilst eating there own excrement might not be detrimental to your dog, it isn't very nice for him to have poo breath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

try putting some pineapple juice on his food, when it comes out other end he will run a mile!!!

worked for my guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

my 2 pups are doing the same,

they cant wait for each other to poo, thats how it looks sometimes and i try to run out to tell them no!

i have to try the pineapple juice, because the breath is just sooo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pineapple chunks work really well if the dog won't eat it then try the juice.
    Worked on any pups we've had over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Advertisement