Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whey protein

• 06-04-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

What is best whey :o to consume whey throughout the day, not after a workout but on an everyday basis? Please reference studies to support views if possible. I remember reading that sipping whey in between main meals is better than drinking the whole shake in one go as when you drink it in one go it is absorbed metabolised etc very quickly and levels in blood fall rapidly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Are you looking for a recommendation of a favourite type of whey, or a list of studies about whey metabolism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Unless you're an olympic level athlete, the kind of overthinking you're looking at is not going to affect you in any noticable way.

I get my whey from myprotein.co.uk or bulkpowders.co.uk. It's 80% protein and costs around 40 euro for 5KG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

drinking the whole shake in one go as when you drink it in one go it is absorbed metabolised etc very quickly and levels in blood fall rapidly.

You're saying this like it's a bad thing. If it's absorbed quickly, your body will be ready for another protein meal quickly. Why would you want to slow down the absorption rate during the day?

Aside from all that, would you not think it better to high protein foods during the day and save your supplements for post training and before bed? It would probably save you a bit of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

You're saying this like it's a bad thing. If it's absorbed quickly, your body will be ready for another protein meal quickly. Why would you want to slow down the absorption rate during the day?

Aside from all that, would you not think it better to high protein foods during the day and save your supplements for post training and before bed? It would probably save you a bit of cash.
    I have read it is better to have a steady supply in blood during day. Whey is absored and metabolised within 30 minutes so unless you sip whey over a prolonged period you get spikes which may or may not be a good thing? Instead of drinking a 50g whey shake in one go, would drinking half and then half an hour later be better. Also would mixing it with milk slow down the abrorpion/metabolism.
    I got loads of whey on special a few weeks back and just wanna make best use of it to support currentm and new muscle levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have read it is better to have a steady supply in blood during day.

How much better though? Honestly, I can't see it being a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also would mixing it with milk slow down the abrorpion/metabolism.
    Yes it does. Many mix it with milk at night to mimic the slow absorption effects of casein protein powder (which is about twice the price). Personally I drink whey shakes with milk 80% of the time, I just prefer it, now I know that PWO this is not ideal but I honestly do not worry that much about it.

People tend to overthink whey as though it is some sort of drug, really it is just another dairy product, I doubt many people put the same thought/concern into when or how they eat chicken or other protein sources.

I would also query the 30min thing. I often have whey shakes during the day, I love them, I make them with ice in a blender so they are ice cold milkshakes. I often eat them with a meal, so I figure it is mixing with all the other foods and so it would slow down absorption.

I expect the 30mins might be a study done on an empty stomach. If I drink 4 cans or beer on an empty stomach I can get quite tipsy, if I have had a big christmas dinner then it would take ~8 cans to give the same effect. Slows down absorption dramatically.

Advertisement