Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online UK Chemist Now Filling Irish Prescriptions.Big Savings but is it Legal?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

I realise this topic has been covered here but I just thought I'd mention that a site in the UK are now filling prescriptions for people in Ireland. I don't think it says so on their site but I emailed them to ask and they said they are doing it now provided the prescription is in English.

My prescription costs me €20 a month here.However on that site it costs .90cents for a months supply. Thats €240 a year v.s €10.80 year. Not all drugs are so favourably priced but it'd worth having a look to see what yours costs.They are priced by tablet so you have to multiply the price by how many you need.

I've used that site many times before for OTC items and it's always been great. They've also been recommended by the Sunday Times in the past for prescription filling.I'll definitely think of changing my prescription over to them if it's legal to import drugs that are issued at a doctors request via prescription. Any views on whether it's permitted or not would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

is it not illegal to import prescription meds into teh country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

sam34 wrote: »
    is it not illegal to import prescription meds into teh country?

I am not sure Sam. I changed my post a bit to ask that.Any opinions or clarifications welcome. I will be extremely disappointed if it is illegal however :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hi chilly- It would seem that it is illegal, according to this thread on another site:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=93811

I know it's not a definite answer, if someone can point me at the relevant legislation I can re-visit the thread. Until that happens, I'll have to close it, sorry Chilly. If you want to discuss this, feel free to pm me - I'm not giving out to you! hopefully you can see it from our perspective.

I've emailed the Irish Medicines Board for clarification, will post the reply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just as a sign-off, the email I got from the Irish Medicines board:

Thank you for your query.

The legislation applicable to the supply of prescription only medicinal products by Internet supply in Ireland is the Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) Regulations 2003-2008. This prohibits the mail order of prescription only medicinal products. As such the website mentioned by you would be in breach of Irish legislation if it supplied such medication into Ireland.

In addition, we are advised that the Internet pharmacy mentioned by you is a licensed pharmacy by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain and that it will only supply to persons holding a UK National Health Service prescription or a private prescription from a doctor in the UK.

The IMB and Revenue Customs Service actively police the importation into Ireland of medicines by Internet supply and detain the consignment without providing any compensation.

If you require any further information please let us know.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement