Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Imagine] Poor ping times

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

446471723.png

400+ ping to dublin london france netherlands wherever EVERY BLOODY day except in the early hours of the morning.
    How is that even possible? Do they purposly screw it up to piss you off? Anyone on a normal connection can literally ping to australia with less than that yet i live 2 hours away from dublin. I could run to the bloody server and carry the packets back faster myself.

'Most' people in Ireland have the exact same quality of service and do noting about it wether they think its fine or just dont bother. Ive sent them countless emails and get the same stupid response - We would like you to run these speedtests blablabla - We will test your line - 2 weeks later - Your line seems fine. Then i reply to that and i get no response. Ring them up always some indian guy who barley speaks english so i end up haging up.

WILL WE EVER GET OUT OF THE 56K AGE?

/discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

spixel wrote: »
    446471723.png

400+ ping to dublin london france netherlands wherever EVERY BLOODY day except in the early hours of the morning.

How is that even possible? Do they purposly screw it up to piss you off? Anyone on a normal connection can literally ping to australia with less than that yet i live 2 hours away from dublin. I could run to the bloody server and carry the packets back faster myself.

WILL WE EVER GET OUT OF THE 56K AGE?

/discuss

439014854.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Ranicand wrote: »
    439014854.png

Your on cable which is available to 1 percent of the country, your argument is invalid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Mines better tonight than it usually is ..

446480674.png

Your on cable which is available to 1 percent of the country, your argument is invalid :)

And even when there is cable it's pot luck weather your connection is good or not.

My area is a good one for cable.

Your service looks very bad.

Have you tried this site it is run by all broadband providers in this land of ours.

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

It will tell you what options you have in your area.

And even when there is cable it's pot luck weather your connection is good or not.

My area is a good one for cable.

Your service looks very bad.

Have you tried this site it is run by all broadband providers in this land of ours.

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

It will tell you what options you have in your area.

Ive been on about 5 providers over 2 years. They were all terrible except for sometime in 2008 when i had a perfect connection for a few months then back to this bull**** :( Most ADSL providers are just eircom being resold so its pretty much always their fault.

• Advertisement

Ive been on about 5 providers over 2 years. They were all terrible except for sometime in 2008 when i had a perfect connection for a few months then back to this bull**** :( Most ADSL providers are just eircom being resold so its pretty much always theyre fault.

Give that site a try it's very easy it shows all the providers in your area.

If you see something that catches your eye you can come back to the board to ask others what they think of the provider and the pack.:)

Give that site a try it's very easy it shows all the providers in your area.

If you see something that catches your eye you can come back to the board to ask others what they think of the provider and the pack.:)

Just checked and ive been on every service listed there in my area

Just checked and ive been on every service listed there in my area

Sorry about that.:(

Sorry about that.:(

Yea it sucks, and its not like im the only person in this situation. Just look at the ammount of people who complain on these forums, its unbelievable eircom or whoevers responsible get away with this.

The funniest thing is apparently my exchange has no problems so this is must be a perfectly acceptable service in their eyes.

Yea it sucks, and its not like im the only person in this situation. Just look at the ammount of people who complain on these forums, its unbelievable eircom or whoevers responsible get away with this.

The funniest thing is apparently my exchange has no problems so this is must be a perfectly acceptable service in their eyes.

In my are the phone lines are rubbish.

We are lucky to have cable for broadband UPC also run their phone service here too I gave Eircom the boot altogether.

Irish Broadband Breeze is meant to be a fairly good service it requires an antenna on your house.

Are you sure they are not available in your area?

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

446471723.png

<SNIP>
    'Most' people in Ireland have the exact same quality of service and do noting about it wether they think its fine or just dont bother.

Sweeping statements all over the shop, a hand full of people does not equal "most people",

I enjoy 40ms pings, I'm happy enough with them...I'm on ADSL same as the vast majority of people on this forum :)

Generalizations do not help anyone

Before you start ranting how about you actually provide people with some more info, what are your line stats, have you connected to main socket etc

btw I've edited your thread title in-line with the charter as the title you choose was less then helpful

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sweeping statements all over the shop, a hand full of people does not equal "most people",

I enjoy 40ms pings, I'm happy enough with them...I'm on ADSL same as the vast majority of people on this forum :)

Generalizations do not help anyone

Before you start ranting how about you actually provide people with some more info, what are your line stats, have you connected to main socket etc

btw I've edited your thread title in-line with the charter as the title you choose was less then helpful

My line-stats are fine. Yes its connected to the main socket. Its the service / exchange which is not someting i can solve. Only Eircom who unfortunatley for us are broke. yay

A handfull? Are you actually joking me. Its actually a handfull who have a decent connection. Tell me this, how is it actually possible for so many people to achieve 500 ping to someone a couple of miles away? Let me guess, contention. Yeah contention, if a service is anyway decent, will barley cause an increase in ping and a drop in speeds obviously.

Why is the broadband support so terrible? Why cant they give me one answer to what the problem is. They say my lines fine, they say the speeds fine. They just lie to you hoping your stupid, and keep paying your bills for sub-standard service.

Irelands broadband is currenly the worst in europe and if you deny that your just stupid or dont care cause your one of the lucky ones who have a decent connection. Just sick of wasting money and geting told bull**** and ignored by whatever service i decide to swap to next for them to tell me everythings fine. Ive had all these same problems almost contantly since I first got broadband in 2005. My only option is to cancel but as with alot of people, i want an internet :)

Also may i ask how you have 40ms ping? Since the upgrades last summer i thought interleaving was turned on for everyone so the terrible infastructure doesnt crash on everyone? In one of my many emails to imagine and the company i was with before, they said interleaving is enabled at the exchange and definatley cannot be lowered or switched off.

This is not a thread asking why my speeds are slow, i know why they are. Its to just ask people why we accept this so can you change the topic to someting else, this is meant to be a discussion not an inquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Are you on Ripwave, Breeze or DSL with IBB/Imagine?

Only Ripwave of those three has "normal" 400ms Pings. In fact Ripwave can have 2000ms pings.

If you are on Breeze or DSL, then something is wrong.

Cable is available to a lot more than 1%. It will be available to well over 35% I think when UPC completed upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Mr spixel how are you sir.

It seems its either your line or your local exchange. Can you go to a few neighbours houses and do some ping tests from there? I guess that will limit it to either your exchange or your line.

If it is something with your exchange i guess your screwed, try having a look at Irish broadband breeze option or Digiweb metro. These are little satellites on your house and you should get a decent ping from them. Ben(reyno) uses digiweb metro and it seems ok.

Yeah ids dsl watty but ive been told by my provider after they said theyd tested my line over 2 weeks that there is no problem with it or the exchange. Quite obvious that there is though but what can i do if they keep denying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

It wouldn't be high interleaving would it? Are you getting full speeds? Post your line stats aswell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah ids dsl watty but ive been told by my provider after they said theyd tested my line over 2 weeks that there is no problem with it or the exchange. Quite obvious that there is though but what can i do if they keep denying it

just so people can cast an eye on things, might be an idea to post line stats, ping results and traceroutes

Advertisement