Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velociraptor Awareness Day (April 18th)

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Just recieved word that this year's Velociraptor Awareness Day has been moved to April 18th (it's usually April 17th) due to a clash with the GLBTA "Day of Silence".
    NOTICE: It has come to my attention that the GLBTA "Day of Silence" has been scheduled for the 17th, and had been for quite a while. I don't know about you all, but I know people where I am will want to participate in that. For my group of constituents, I am moving the date to Saturday the 18th, which may be more convenient for festivities anyway. You may feel free to plan events on either day, or even on both days if you wish.

The threat of velociraptor attacks was first made aware to me by xkcd. I believe we should spread the word about velociraptors on a day in the spring when people are most vulnerable to velociraptor attacks. Get ready for some talks about home defense, and possibly posting "Velociraptor Entry Point" on weak points about campus.

So far we have suggestions for:
    -Simulated velociraptor attacks throughout the day
    -a candlelight vigil for those who have died of velociraptor attacks (with borrowed pictures from the Jurassic Park movies)
    -A screening of Jurassic park as an educational video

Any other suggestions?

Also, feel free to invite everyone you know, so we can see how widespread we can make this. Like a velociraptor virus. (Oh man, that would be unstoppable!)

Congrats guys, over 200,00 strong!

As it gets closer to the date, feel free to start breaking off into location-based events. I'm the spokesperson for my school, but this expanded way beyond what I expected.

You all rock.

****LINKS****
    I have several cool links for you. First:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?members&new&saved&gid=47797409769#/group.php?gid=47797409769

That's a group I created to be an extension of this, so you can post in the forums and coordinate your attacks.

Second is a Spanish version, which is pretty neat
    http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=57886181467

Then we have a group made by someone other than myself you may be interested in
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2209697184

And finally, there's a guy who emailed me about some cool dinosaur stuff. Apparently he's writing a book on dinosaurs. This just happens to be about T-Rex but hey, they're pretty scary too.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42933269068

**On a side note, let me tell you something about myself:
    I am not Randall Munroe, nor am I related to Randall Munroe. I am merely a fan. Yes, I am wearing an awesome hat, but I've known the hat longer than I've known the comic.

Due to my fear that strangers may be raptors in disguise, I don't generally friend people unless I've had a real conversation with them. You may still send me a message, but be aware, at this point, if it has anything to do with velociraptors, I've probably heard it already.

Keep up the good work guys!

So, anyone wanna do anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just recieved word that this year's Velociraptor Awareness Day has been moved to April 18th

NO WAY!!!!!! I didn't know about this! How cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Velociraptor_with_a_jetpack_and_scissors.ashx

velociraptors.jpg

Be Safe People.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Okay, Ive secured about a dozen or so Velociraptor colouring in posters and am looking to distribute them.
    Any ideas/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Never forget...

Advertisement