Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very sick Jack russell

Options
  • 07-04-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Elderly Mothers' Dog is very ill she vomited yesterday evening & had some loose bowel movements, she has'nt been fed anything since but she's still vomiting today, brought her to vets this evening only to find it closed so will go first thing in the morning but is there anything I can do for her now? We've been keeping her warm and making sure there's water out for her, she goes over & drinks some but promptly vomits it back up again. She is feverish & shivering the poor little mite.
    The fear is that she has taken in some Lawn Feed, weed/moss killer, could she die because of this? Should I have gone to an out of hours vet? The pack just says "keep away from children & pets" my Mother claims to have used it before with no effects on the dog. I'm not so sure, it says it contains "2.4-D {0.562% w^w}" does anyone know about this stuff or could the dog just have some bug? She was recently at the vet for all her shots etc. Anyone any words of advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

more info

do you have the packaging?
    Can you profer as much data as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I would bring her to the out of hours vets, where are you based? I would worry that if she has eaten poison she could die overnight. she probably requires fluid through an IV line so that she doesnt vomit it up again and to replaced fluid lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

yes i'll go get it now gimme 5

Westland Lawn Feed, Weed & Moss Killer
    Contains 2,4-D {0.562% w/w} and mecopop-P {0.562 % w/w} as weedkillers and ferrous sulphate {19.03 % w/w anhydrous, 33.7 % w/w heptahydrate} as a mosskiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

are you in dublin, if so ring 1890564036 - its the dublin animal emergency clinic they can advise you, if not most vets run an out of hours service. There should be an answering machine message or soemthing with information on it at your vets office.

It also says "Children & pets need not be excluded from treated areas once watered in"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

She sounds like a very sick girl if she's throwing the water back up, if you suspect poisoning I'd run with her now before the lining in her stomach is ripped up.

If a product says don't use around pets it really means don't use around pets for good reason.

With lack of food and water the dog will dehydrate quickly helping the poision absorb faster.

given she's running on the other end tells me it's not a blockage see if there is help line you can contact on the package, I know there is a no. you can call to find out what the poison is and what you can do to help, I'll try to find it for you now.

TOXICOLOGICAL EFFECTS
    • Acute Toxicity: Mecoprop has a low acute toxicity to test animals. The LD50, the oral dose that kills half of the test animals, is 930 -1210 mg/kg for rats and 650 mg/kg for mice (41, 43, 44). The LD50 for rats exposed dermally is greater than 4000 mg/kg (41, 40). Mecoprop is irritating to skin and eyes. It causes redness and swelling and can cause cloudy vision (46). The concentration in air which kills half of the test animals, the LC50 (4 hours) for rats, is greater than 12.5 mg/l air (6).
    • Chronic Toxicity: No information is currently available.
    • Reproductive Effects: No information is currently available.
    • Teratogenic Effects: Mecoprop is a teratogen in rats at moderate to high doses. Oral doses of 125 mg/kg/day of MCPP in pregnant rats from days 6 to 15 of gestation caused increased intra-uterine deaths, decreased body lengths, and an increased incidence of delayed or absent bone formation in offspring. Mecoprop is not teratogenic in rabbits (45).
    • Mutagenic Effects: Studies show that mecoprop may be mutagenic at very high doses. Tests of mecoprop on four strains of salmonella and on s. colelicolor showed no mutagenic effects (43). However, MCPP caused an increase in sister chromatid exchange after single oral doses of 470 and 3,800 mg/kg in Chinese hamsters (45).
    • Carcinogenic Effects: A study of people employed in the manufacture of phenoxy herbicides including mecoprop showed an association between these herbicides and cancer of soft tissues and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (47). However, other data do not support this conclusion (49). Thus, it is not clear if occupational exposures to phenoxy herbicides can cause cancer.
    • Organ Toxicity: Oral doses of 9 mg/kg/day to female rats and 27 mg/kg/day to male rats cause kidney damage (45).
    • Fate in Humans and Animals: Mecoprop is eliminated unchanged in the urine of mammals(6).
    extracted from MSDS of other brand same chems
    I dont think the stuff you suspect is the problem. How much could the dog have eaten?

Offer her some Milk

thanks, she could'nt have eaten very much at all, you're talking a blade of grass if she did at all, we are just worried that's the cause for this, I think it could well be something else entirely. My Mother treated a tiny area the other day right before the rain fell with a small teacup full of the stuff on some dandelions. This particular Lawn Feed is meant to be safe around kids & animals. Anyway, she's being bundled into the car now to the out of hours vet. will let you all know how it goes. Fingers crossed it's just some bug or blockage, she has'nt had a bowel movement since the first few drips but then again she's had nothing in her system since her dinner on saturday cos she puked her sunday dinner up straight away.
    Thanks so much for the speedy replies guys. I'll check back in with the news {hopefully good} tomorrow.

best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kazza90210 wrote: »
    I would bring her to the out of hours vets.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

good luck I hope everything is ok with her.

The only no. available is for the hospitals must ask my own vet in the morning and post any info,

Hope all turns out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good on you for taking her to the vet - no bowel movements and vomiting back up food immediately sounds similar to the effects of a bowel blockage. Dogs will eat anything, but are any of her favourite toys in pieces or missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

How is the doggie now? better I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

any update on the dog?

Hey guys thanks for all the concern. Ellie is in the vets on a drip, vet is going to test her for several things. Namely a virus of some sort, blockage, poisoning or a reaction of her pancreas to steroids she had been on for a skin complaint. She was so sick when we got her to the surgery that she did'nt even flinch when the vet took her temp & checked her mouth. Normally she jumps at this. Her gums were tacky so she was dehydrated as I'd guessed and she did have a slightly raised temperature. Vet was to start her on a drip & a pain killer for now & is to ring us at the end of the working day 7pm to let us know how she is. She is going to be X-rayed tomorrow also. So it's a waiting game now, I dont like the sounds of Pancreatitis if that's what it is. Going to look it up now at my peril.....

Update: Well, the vet phoned us back & said it appears to be pancreatitis, she is to get more tests tomorrow & she may well recover but will be prone to attacks in the future, it is'nt a very nice feeling knowing the dog could go through this more than once. we will have to see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Poutbutton, if it's pancreatitis I believe it can be very controllable through diet. My neighbour as a delightful miniature, a chiuahua-pom cross, and she has suffered bouts of pancreatitis. Her diet has been changed to fat-free chicken and rice and they've cut out treats like schmackos and other dried fat/flesh dog treats and she's doing extremely well with no relapses.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Basically, Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. It can happen very quickly or take some time to show up. The pancreas has two roles one is to produce hormones and the other to produce digestive enzymes. Inflamation can sometimes be caused by leaking of the digestive engymes and the basic treatment is nil by mouth, no food or water, or 1-5 days depending on how bad your dog is, this is allow the pancreas to simply rest and heal itsself. The vet will probably keep her on a drip and give her all the vitimans and minerals she needs in this, will probably give her pain medication and antibiotics also just as a procaution. As said the main change to it after is low fat, high fibre diet. Some times you would have to do this for life or sometimes it can be for a period of time, again depending on the case. She will be down for a week or so and fingers cross she will come around with no problems.

Keep us up to date!

Hi just wanted to let you all know, Ellie is home and recovering. We went back to get her yesterday, vet left a canula in her paw incase she needed further treatment, we were to go back today if she was unwell but thankfully she has recovered.
    She even wanted us to play ball with her. Going back tomorrow to get the canula removed. We were recommended a low fat hi fibre diet, vet could'nt say for sure what caused the pancreatitis but as long as were careful with her she may be ok. We'll just have to watch out for signs of it recurring in future.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Glad to hear she is on the mend! :) If its any help, our old doggy (who died from old age recently, just natural causes :( got an attack of this years ago, and she responded really well to the diet, never got it again and was fit as a fiddle afterwards. I found chicken or fatty foods used to bring on an attack, so it might be something to avoid / keep an eye out on.

Thanks, so far she is in great form back to her usual self wanting us to play ball all day. We are being careful of what she eats and she seems to be thriving fingers crossed it lasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's great to hear the dog is fine :)

Guess she wont be licking the inside of an empty one of these ever again....

Advertisement