Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you feed your Dog fish?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Tonight after dinner our west highland terrior was eyeing a fish cake left over (mainly salmon and potato) so my mam gave him a small corner and he loved it... is it safe for him to eat fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

its fine for dogs to have fish but you must be careful to remove all bones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

as with most things, in moderation. Omega oils in fish are good for their coats etc. Nothing to worry about, only thing i would say that if he isnt use to it it might upset his tummy. If it does give him something bland and he should be fine. If you are concerned or if he does have any vomitting or runny poo's ring your vet for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Once a week we crush up two sardines into our dogs food, He loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss_lady

aww thats good to know thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

everything in moderation! They do say to watch the mercury levels in sardines/tuna etc but i suppose thats just if your feeding bucket loads and every day! Oh and make sure to buy sardines/tuna in SUNFLOWER OIL and not brine, the sunflower oil is so much more better for them, helps their coats!!!

Our lot love fish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I give my girl a small tin of tuna in sunflower oil mixed in with her food every 2-3 days. She loves it and it gives her such a lovely shiny coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The fish in the fish cake should be fine but there are other ingredients that aren't aparently good for dogs like onion so if feeding fish fresh fish (bones removed) would be good or the occasional tin of salmon or tuna but tuna can have high levels or mercury and tinned fish can also contain a lot of salt so all in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you are feeding them salmon make sure it is fully cooked, as it can be poisonous raw. The same goes for potato. My dogs love fish, especially salmon, tuna and sardines. I often put a sardine or two through their dry food for variety.

The only problem is, if I decide to make myself a tuna melt they are completely certain I am making them an extra dinner and get extremely excited.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

hey miss_lady,
    my dogs diet for the last 7 years or so has been purina salmon and rice!
    he loves it , his skin and coat are 100%. iv'e not been to the vet since
    his check-up when i got him first, thankfully. his stools are small and regular and looks as fit as a fiddle!
    whenever we cook salmon or tuna he does go bananas expecting his share:L
    i reckon i will never bring him fishing with me :) he might show me up!
    fish fish fish no problem to your doggie!
    top greyhounds were fed fish for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I AM A BANANA

my dog loves fish and she seems fine after

• Advertisement
Advertisement