Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4month pup not lifting leg. Normal?

Options
  • 07-04-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

We have a male samoyed and he is 4 months old! However he hasnt started lifting his leg while urinating, is he too young to lift his leg and will it come naturally to him?

Its my first time with a male pup!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

its very normal, nothing to worry about. some dogs never lift there legs especially if they are neutered. so dont be worrying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Yep, definately normal. :D The average age for them to start doing this is 6 months. If your dog is more submissive it will most likely take him a bit longer. My pup is 8 months old and is nowhere near lifting his leg yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I've had a number of dogs come through and some lift their legs others don't, some look like acrobats doing it and some are just lazy.

As long as he is walking properly and running rings round you I'd say he just fine and doing his own thing.

If you notice he is of balance or unsteady on his feet then a trip to the vet will put your mind at rest.

I always allow mine to do there own thing different personalities and so fort, each to their own !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No his stance is perfect! and he is well able to run rings around me and the rest of the family everytime he is around us, hes full of energy

I was just wondering as i hadnt a clue as to how long it should take to life the leg!

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Yeah, nothing to worry about. Our fella is 8 months now and he sometimes half lifts it, sometimes doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

completely normal behaviour!!! I have a 13 month old great dane and he has only just started to lift his leg, he still pee's like a girl most of the time, coz he lives with two girls anywho he's prob not too bothered about lifting his leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

we had a Rottie who, even as an adult, only lifted his leg for 'marking' - out on walks etc. For the real ones he went like a girl!

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I've a 6 year old who doesn't always lift his leg. If fact he probably doesn't lift his leg more often than he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

My 18mnth yorkie lifts or squats depending on his mood!
    he also lifted his leg to have a poo on a walk one day and i fell over laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

I think you're dog is gay OP, girl dogs squat, boy dogs cock the leg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think you're dog is gay OP, girl dogs squat, boy dogs cock the leg!

says who?

I've got a Terier bitch here that cocks her leg higher than any male dog :D

My Sibe Husky is 6 months tomorrow and doesnt do it yet. Infact he is peeing on his front paws now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

peasant wrote: »
    says who?

I've got a Terier bitch here that cocks her leg higher than any male dog :D

Me too!!! :eek: she lifts her bum right up and balances on her front legs to get her scent higher so that other doggies can get it at nose level... she is a gas ticket! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Noopti wrote: »
    Our fella is 8 months now and he sometimes half lifts it, sometimes doesn't.

I have a 32 year old fella who's the same :D

Glad you got sorted, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Don't see what the problem is. Main thing is they don't pee on your shoes or on your carpet or rug :D.

My beagle-x lady always squatted as any good female dog is supposed to. Since she met her boyfriend, the neighbours' cocky terrier, she lifts her leg - just to show him who is boss :D.
    Or maybe it's love?

It's really hilarious since she doesn't quite get it - half squatting, half lifting a leg and not knowing which one. Kind of dancing around. But the terrier at least got the message. :p

Just let your dog figure out what is best for him.

Aren't males (humans) nowadays supposed to squat anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

palaver wrote:
    half squatting, half lifting a leg and not knowing which one. Kind of dancing around

We've a Shi tzu who does the same, I reckon she learnt it from the dog we have, he was around a few years and got her more recently. It is fairly funny alright, particularly if he's sniffing the spot that she's already manoeuvring into to scent and he gets a little bit of pee on his head, has happened more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

i have a one year old male boxer who has never lifted his leg either !! i have always had female dogs before this one so i forget that he was suppose to lift his leg :D

Advertisement