Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving Minced Beef

• 07-04-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Another recession cooking thread!

There was mince on special offer down my local supermarket so I stocked up on super cheap packets of 800g minced beef.

I'd like to make some tasty and delicious things, that aren't the following 4:

1. Chilli
    2. Bolognese
    3. Cottage pie
    4. Meatballs

Any suggestions? I'd love some fruity, exotic ideas if anyone knows how to make a nice Bobotie, or something else African or South American?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I guess hamburgers are out? Even if you throw an onion, some garlic, a red pepper and some chilli into the food processor, pulse it a few times to roughly chopped state, throw in the mince, some salt, some pepper, some cumin and some basil and then pulse it to just shy of paste, scoop with an ice cream scoop onto a flexible cutting board, leave for 15 mins to set up, then fry on both sides and serve?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Meatloaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Another recession cooking thread!

Any suggestions? I'd love some fruity, exotic ideas if anyone knows how to make a nice Bobotie, or something else African or South American?

I found this link. I am going to try the recipe soon. http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/RECIPES/meats/bobotie.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Does anyone have a tried and tested meatloaf recipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Does anyone have a tried and tested meatloaf recipe?

@sparks burger recipe sounds tasty so why not follow that and add in 2 egg yolks if your using 800gr of mince. take 2 slices of bread and make bread crumbs if you can if not just soak the bread in alittle milk.

mix it all up when done line aloaf tin with grease proff paper and put in your farce, press down well put sheet of paper on top and cover in tin foil.

start cooking at 150oc for 30mins then put up to 180oc for 15 more mins.

• Advertisement

you could also make them in to patty and fill them with feta cheese and fold them over and fry. but dont use to much salt if using feta.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've made burgers loads of times loads of different ways and they were mostly meh!

Tried a Jamie Oliver one recently and it was amazing.

Off the top of my head......Mince, chopped Parsley, Egg, Cream Crackers, Dijon Mustard, Salt & Pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If that is the tesco 800g packs then they are very high in fat, dunnes ones have a little less, but generally cheap mince is very fatty. IIRC you are doing WW, so it will have lots of points since they are calculated based on fat & calories.

So you might not want to make dishes using raw mince added in, e.g. if you did put breadcrumbs in raw mince to make burgers then the bread will soak it up. With fatty mince there is no need for oil in the pan, I used to get the cheap tesco one and the amount that came out was shocking!

I just fry up loads of mince, drain off the fat, stick it in a big bowl and crumble in iceberg lettuce, mustard & ketchup and eat with a spoon. Just like breadless burgers! stick in some chilli too for a kick, or grated cheese. I also stick the mix in wholemeal pittas
    1. Chilli
    2. Bolognese
    3. Cottage pie
    With those you can brown the mince first then add sauce, most do it that way anyway I think, but some are lazy and just lash it in.

Lean mince is quite expensive, I prefer to get rib steak or round if it is cheap, then cut off the fat with a scissors and cut the rest finely with the scissors, or liquidise if making burgers. In bolognese sauces I prefer these bigger bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Cheers rubadub, I do indeed always drain the mince.

rubadub wrote: »
    If that is the tesco 800g packs then they are very high in fat, dunnes ones have a little less, but generally cheap mince is very fatty. IIRC you are doing WW, so it will have lots of points since they are calculated based on fat & calories.

So you might not want to make dishes using raw mince added in, e.g. if you did put breadcrumbs in raw mince to make burgers then the bread will soak it up. With fatty mince there is no need for oil in the pan, I used to get the cheap tesco one and the amount that came out was shocking!

I just fry up loads of mince, drain off the fat, stick it in a big bowl and crumble in iceberg lettuce, mustard & ketchup and eat with a spoon. Just like breadless burgers! stick in some chilli too for a kick, or grated cheese. I also stick the mix in wholemeal pittas

With those you can brown the mince first then add sauce, most do it that way anyway I think, but some are lazy and just lash it in.

Lean mince is quite expensive, I prefer to get rib steak or round if it is cheap, then cut off the fat with a scissors and cut the rest finely with the scissors, or liquidise if making burgers. In bolognese sauces I prefer these bigger bits.

I use alot of qourn mince cuts out nearly all the fat content, only 3% fat per bag of 500grammes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, but it cuts down the meat content as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You could try Sloppy Joes?

I got some of those lovely floury baps from superquinn and made them a few weeks ago and they were bloody gorgeous. Somethin a bit different too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Super cheap, eh?

Guess that means that tartare is out....

Chimichangas?

Stuffed peppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Burritos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rocknchef wrote: »
    I use alot of qourn mince cuts out nearly all the fat content, only 3% fat per bag of 500grammes
    Turkey mince is also very low in fat, and usually a good bit cheaper than regular lean mince, and lower in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I like to make Qeema-style Indian curries with Mince, or make my own samosas with mince inside it.

Sloppy Joe's are the biz - you could also make thai style shish kebabs on sticks with satay sauce with your mince too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Buy some tortilla's/wraps in the supermarket, fry the mince with some onion,garlic,chilli,cumin, then add chopped tomatoe, at the end, don't cook! finish with fresh corriander. Fold inside the wraps, top with cheese, grill, serve with a salad (dunno why, maybe its my "healthy eating" side of my brain, "won't be so bad if i eat some salad":D)

Advertisement