Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monageisha roundabout???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

isnt that the purpose of them? cars wait less time? They are designed for cars not the pedestrians.

They work fine, up to a certain traffic volume. When the volume gets above that, they're worse because every single car pauses at the entrance.

They can be designed for pedestrians, too (paint in a few pedestrian crossings at key places, etc), but haven't been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sconsey wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice idea but won't you be fsked if the lights turn red as you are approaching them, every time you hit lights they will be red :(

Maybe I don't get it, I'm sure the boffins have modeled the whole thing.

Nope: you won't leave the first light until it's green again. Effectively you do one piece of waiting at the first lights, and then are in the "green cycle" (or whatever they call it) for the rest of the road. That's the theory anyway.

I remember one day (overseas) when one day traffic just seemed to be an absolute mess, it was like volumes had increased heaps. The council figured out that somehow the integrated lights had got out of synch. So they turned 'em all off then on again (could be done safely 'cos the city was gridlocked), things started working again and the traffic was flowing freely within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

JustMary wrote: »
    ...So they turned 'em all off then on again...

That is the solution to most problems you will ever encounter.

Advertisement