Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backgrounds question

• 07-04-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

are there any issues, advantages/disadvantages with using Chroma (blue/green) backgrounds as opposed to using other assorted backgrounds?
    the lazy part of me can see possibilities with varied backgrounds.
    Would there be much problems with colour casts or bleeds etc. ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, as long as you have room between subject and model to avoid casts, you should be all good. Remember to keep the backgrounds completely even lit - Which might need more lights than you require.

The reason the blue/green is used is because they're not naturally produced in nature, and rare enough, which makes them easier to take out with moving footage, but with stills, and a good lighting setup, it can be as easy to do with a white background.

I used a bluescreen setup quite recently, teaching transition year students bluescreen, photography and editing, it worked a dream like. Just as long as their not right up against it - The problem with strobes is they're going to bounce (and bounce colour), as opposed to the constant lighting you use in video, which is slightly more WYSIWYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

thanks for that Al,
    yeah i was wondering about the bounce effect!

this all came about because recently after taking a portrait of a family in their living room they decided that they'd like a mottled studio type background to which i stupidely agreed to do - it was a lot of work but the results once masked were pretty good. That was when i had just speedlights to do the lighting, since then i've moved up to studio lighting which is much better.

So that got me thinking of chroma key photography etc. I was wondering if a large proportion of the portraits are dressed in white, brides, communion etc. that a white background might not be the most efficient.
    :)

A big PITA with brides, communions, etc, is the veils though - Which is certainally something to consider! I wouldn't like to be stuck fixing up 134,000,000 spots through a veil by hand :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I bought the Vertus Fluid mask before a product shot job and it is so handy to use and the cutouts are superb, I have used it to cut people out of the hi-lite background if they wanted to have their logo as background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

actually, that reminds me....

My daughter is making her communion in May and she's getting her hair cut tomorrow and styled. With this in mind I was hoping to get her in the communion gear (white dress, veil etc.) and get a few shots of her so I won't have to worry about it on the day.
    My question for the studioheads...should i use a black or white background? The choices are limited to black and white as they are what I have :D.
    I reckon I could get some high-key, dreamy type shots on the white background, but I'm not really sure what to do with the black...

• Advertisement

Get yourself a good location and rock the natural light while we have it man!

40-50 quid will pick you up a 5 sided reflector - best 50 quid you'll spend :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Get yourself a good location and rock the natural light while we have it man!

40-50 quid will pick you up a 5 sided reflector - best 50 quid you'll spend :)

you mean take the child out in her communion clothes ? It's never going to happen! The missus won't even let me do photos without her in the house in case I rip/scratch/break/dirty anything :pac:.

I'll try to get some outdoors shots on the day, but was just looking for something in the bank in case the weather isn't great, so the options for tomorrow are pretty much limited to what I can do indoors...

Rain'd be even better - Nice soft light, and an umbrella for herself :)

I think natural light/location works so much better with these situations;

IMG_0940.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I agree with Al. Location location location

Al, I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just that it's not an option for tomorrow. My only option tomorrw is black or white backgrounds indoors with a few speedlites and umbrellas and such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

+1 for the reflectors - great gizmo :)

with an indoors situation - i'd go for black, it'd make a striking contrast with the white dress!

:)

thanks Fionn. I'll try both I think and see if anything flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Try some window light and also I have used the hi-lite as a large softbox and it works out really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kaos1979

Hi all slightly different question, I am an hobby photographer and I am looking to buy some backgrounds and maybe soon lighting as my wife wants me to do some shots of my little boy, can anyone advise a good source and make or any info as I dont have a lot to spend , I found a background on ebay with stands for about 65 euro, the background is described as (Non Woven Fabric Background 1.6m(5.2ft) width ×2m(6.6ft) length ×1) any help would be gratefully accepted,

Thanks

Advertisement