Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INSTALLING A FIRE DETECTION ALARM

Options
  • 07-04-2009 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Anyone willing to offer info/recommend a registered contractor (Dublin based) who has relevant experience of installing fire alarm systems?

Installation required for a property sub-divided into several private rental units/flats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I found Chubb to be good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most alarm company's install fire systems shop around.
    Generally the bigger companys will be a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there are many options, your best IMHO would be a electrical contractor using a decent recognized supplier to supply and install (second fix) the equipment. The electrical contractor would carry out the first fix, but it would be one order for you controlled by the electrical contractor.

In my experience the installation standards of fire alarm companies is lower than electrical contractors. I have many examples of this that I can't go into here. Using a good electrical contractor and having the system commissioned and maintained by a decent recognized fire alarm company is the way to go IMO.

You could possibly go down the road of getting a contractor to price it , but insist that they use someone like Apex fire, Chubb fire, Siemens, Gent etc to supply the equipment and commission it.

However there are plenty of smaller good quality security contracting companies who install these systems every day and just because a company is big it does not mean they are better, who you are dealing with in a company is a big factor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

your best IMHO would be a electrical contractor using a decent recognized supplier to supply and install (second fix) the equipment. The electrical contractor would carry out the first fix, but it would be one order for you controlled by the electrical contractor.
    This is the way I have seen it done on large projects. I worked many large fire alarm systems such as Dublin Airport, Tallaght hospital etc. and the fire alarm company did the 2nd fix only. They were very complex and had lots of MICC cable to be made off. It seemed to work well this way.

Advertisement