Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone charging for voicemail

Options
  • 07-04-2009 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I only notice this yesterday that vodafone is charging for receiving voicemail due to my credit wearing away very fast. I thought they provide it for free since about a year ago..

Did they ever put out a notice for it?

I felt shafted.. any one else?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Says its free here for bill pay...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/paymonthly/voicemail/

..... but no mention of free voicemail for prepay.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/prepay/voicemail/

Why not call them and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

It's with the new tariff (the one where you choose between free texts to any network or free calls and texts to other networks) - one of the reasons i nearly didn't go onto it...
    However, if you're on the free calls & texts to vodafone, you can dial your voicemail number for free (08x5xxxxxxx) and check voicemail free that way :D (but it's supposed to charge - they just haven't noticed this yet!! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should ring Vodafone customer care. It sounds like a mistake rather than anything else.

Voicemail (171) should be free, as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Always been free for me on pre-pay, called 171 there and no charge to my credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

zacseph wrote: »
    It's with the new tariff (the one where you choose between free texts to any network or free calls and texts to other networks) - one of the reasons i nearly didn't go onto it...
    However, if you're on the free calls & texts to vodafone, you can dial your voicemail number for free (08x5xxxxxxx) and check voicemail free that way :D (but it's supposed to charge - they just haven't noticed this yet!! :p)

Can you explain how to do this - I've just noticed that voicemail is eating my credit? I have to leave my phone off a lot at work and didn't realise it cost so much until I checked. I was charged 25 cents to listen to one message twice when I couldn't make it out the first time :mad: I can dial my own number but I just get the option to leave a message - is there something else I have to do to retrieve a message? Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

A lot of the new tariff options now charge for accessing your voicemail through 171. Some as much as 15c per minute.
    I can dial my own number but I just get the option to leave a message - is there something else I have to do to retrieve a message? Thanks for your help.
    While you hear your greeting playing, press #. Then enter your PIN and you'll be in your voicemail menu.

Thanks a million Kensington - that worked a treat :) Have already saved about 60 cents today alone! Every little helps in the times that are in it!

It's one of the tradeoffs of having free texts. They fleece you for the calls instead and charge for voicemail.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's one of the tradeoffs of having free texts. They fleece you for the calls instead and charge for voicemail.

Well, I'm a total and unapologetic cheapskate - I make full use of free webtexts and I only ring people back on a landline from home (I have calls included in my broadband package). I specifically ask for a landline number in my recorded voicemail message - unless it's an emergency, of course.
    On top of that, I buy cheap text bundles to use away from home when necessary - I never have to top up every month and therefore don't qualify often for those 'free' calls and texts :p I use Skype to ring family abroad and have a dedicated O2 sim that enables me to send free webtexts to them.
    Some friends and colleagues spend a crazy amount of money on mobile phone charges. I occasionally work with children and teenagers who spend (or rather their parents spend) far more than I do :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Kensington wrote: »
    While you hear your greeting playing, press #. Then enter your PIN and you'll be in your voicemail menu.
    Generally its #0000 if you havent ever set a pin number on it. Id reset it as it can be checked by others that way.

I always thought voicemail was free..learned something new today! Feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mariusstanley

So, i want the default "you have reached the bankofworks, please leave a message after the tone".

But i'm stuck with a voice record,

how can i have the default on vodafone?

Advertisement