Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new kitchen

• 07-04-2009 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

hi,
    can anyone recommend a good place to start?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Go around all the showrooms - I found that In House (The Panelling Centre) had the biggest selection. What we did was, we picked the doors etc that we liked, then found a man who installs kitchens.He came around and measured up, I told him where I wanted things, then he came back with a computer image of what the kitchen would look like. You can also bring your kitchen measurements into the Panelling Centre and they'll do the computer generated pic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd recommend going to all the showrooms and have a look around. It will give you loadsa ideas. Gettings drawings/computer generated images usually costs money so ask the designer what they'd recommend for your kitchen. You'll be surprised at everyones opinion!! Good luck anyway. My kitchen is due to be installed over the weekend :D and i cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know if you can be critical but I am advising you to stay away from woodcraft kitchens in Navan also called " A Woodcraft Kitchens"

My kitchen is a good reference for this reason and they fitted it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

thanks for that esp the navan warning thats where i am so it would have been easy. Can anyone suggest good show rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 murph08

I'm looking at getting a painted wooden kitchen, and just wondering what's better and more expensive Pine or tulipwood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mick Bloggs

the answer is neither one, to achieve a quality painted finish only perfectly smooth grained stable timbers should be used. Tulipwood & pine are pure rubbish for this purpose & won’t last a wet week before you will see evidence of cracks & twisting etc. As ever people never ask what's behind the paint & therefore they are not told but charged top price none the less. So don’t be afraid to push as many technical questions as you can when looking at these products, if the sales person is having difficulty answering then forget about it no matter what the cost.

Thanks Mick Bloggs for the reply. So what timber would you recommend? Would Oak be the only one to go for or would ash be any good??

Again neither are ideal as they are both course grained woods. Look for a long established company actually manufacturing with independent quality accessed products to be assured of a long life job. Of course make comparisons with prices, no doubt most of the industry here are chancing there arm when it comes to the latest fashions including the big name shops. I carry out price comparisons regularly & there are a number of manufacturers very competitive to the big stores when you take everything into account. Some will sell on a take away basis if you wish to install yourself.

Thanks again for the reply. What would you recommend for a painted kitchen? Would you be able to PM me any companies/joiners/manufacturers you would recommend?

You may have gusted I’m involved in the industry a long time, now the longest surviving Irish manufacturer. I don't agree with plugging businesses on these sites sharing of info is for everyone. For the alternative look for people with some affiliation to an independent governing body such as ISO9000 or the UK based furniture industry research association. Good luck with your project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement