Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this??

• 07-04-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Some time ago, when our national soccer team gained in stature, we took part in numerous qualifying games in various competitions.

These became to be referred to as "qualifiers" on radio, tv and general media.

Now by my less than perfect reasoning a qualifier is "one who qualifies".

The "er" ending usually signifies something has been done or someone who does something.

Hence "driver" is one who drives,"footballer" is one who plays football.

A "qualifier" then would be someone who has qualified??

Is annoys me a little to hear it to be honest, what's your views?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is the age we live in. Seems like anyone can invent words. English has always been very tolerant of new words. Look at Shakespeare's 1100 or so words. I don't find that one particularly offensive as it makes sense but I do find this idea of turning everything into a verb particularly irritating; Facebooking,Beboing, Inoculatte(:rolleyes:) etc. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Some time ago, when our national soccer team gained in stature, we took part in numerous qualifying games in various competitions.

These became to be referred to as "qualifiers" on radio, tv and general media.

Now by my less than perfect reasoning a qualifier is "one who qualifies".

The "er" ending usually signifies something has been done or someone who does something.

Hence "driver" is one who drives,"footballer" is one who plays football.

A "qualifier" then would be someone who has qualified??

Is annoys me a little to hear it to be honest, what's your views?.

I usually switch off when people start talking about sport, as I have no interest in it whatsoever. A lot of the terminology is extremely irritating and the term 'qualifier' would qualify as one of those ;)!!

I think one of the daftest terms is the 'Cup Winners' Cup' :D!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is the age we live in. Seems like anyone can invent words. English has always been very tolerant of new words. Look at Shakespeare's 1100 or so words. I don't find that one particularly offensive as it makes sense but I do find this idea of turning everything into a verb particularly irritating; Facebooking,Beboing, Inoculatte(:rolleyes:) etc. .

Shakespeare himself wasn't averse to turning nouns into verbs, you know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The Raven. wrote: »

Interested in knowing why it's called that or do you already know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Raven. wrote: »

It's quite a logical name, in that it's a cup competition for the national cup winners of Europe.

Now one which really is illogical is the Champions' League. How many of the teams entered in it are champions of their respective countries? It used to be the European Champions' Cup, when nearly all of the teams in it were the champions of their respective countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Ponster wrote: »
    Interested in knowing why it's called that or do you already know? :)

Thanks, Ponster. I had a vague idea, but Pherekydes has just confirmed it.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's quite a logical name, in that it's a cup competition for the national cup winners of Europe.

Yes, I can see the logic of it, but I still think it's a bit daft that they couldn't come up with a more original name for it. What is the name for the national competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

On the subject of grammar and Irish soccer, what irritates me most is that whenever any of the players are interviewed following a loss, every single one seems to use the phrase "got beat". I always have to restrain myself from shouting "BEATEN! You were BEATEN!" at the TV each time. It just really really irks me :o

Advertisement