Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this fail an NCT?

• 07-04-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

just moved back to Ireland, and have no experience of the NCT test.
    Some friends seem to have cars failed for the most ludicrous things, such as bonnet catch not being oiled.

I was wondering if this will fail an NCT:

Crack in reverse lens. All lights function however.

I have attached photos of it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

From my experience it will fail if there is a sharp edge - if you run your finger over the crack is it smooth or does your finger snag on the edge?

Paddy

PS I'm not an NCT tester, this is just my understanding of process...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

why dont you try pick up a spare from a scrap yard save you the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It does feel sharp when u run a finger over it

As to replacing it, a friend has the same car, so I will borrow his light for the day if I need to.

Which got me thinking - set up a website for people with the same cars to borrow relevant parts for the NCT test.

Next stop - Dragons Den.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I'd chance it if I were you. I have a far worse crack than that in one of my rear lights and it passed no problem.

However a friend of mine told me his car failed for a similar thing, and the inspector told him he would pass it if he covered the crack with sellotape. He did, and they passed it as promised.

If they fail you for that there won't be a re-test, just a visual inspection for which there's no charge and you need no appointment.
    PS I'm not an NCT tester, this is just my understanding of process...

Same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Pkiernan wrote: »

As to replacing it, a friend has the same car, so I will borrow his light for the day if I need to.

Which got me thinking - set up a website for people with the same cars to borrow relevant parts for the NCT test.

Next stop - Dragons Den.

Thanks.

thats thinking outside of the box:) wouldnt be me. couldnt drive around knowing I had a cracked light cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Agree. Will only fail if there is a sharp edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

A friend of mine is one of the bossmen in one of the nct centres and he said it will pass if you cant see the bright white light. So if its an indicator and there is a crack but you see all amber, it will pass.Or he said borrow somebody eles light.( i know was allready said)

Sorry about dragging up this thread, but just an update.

I placed some clear packing tape over the "bump/crack" in the brake light.

Passed NCT no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Good thinking Pkiernan. I'm actually quite surprised you didn't getting a rolloking from some of the "experts" on here for suggesting the idea though. Well done on passing the test, its a small little bit less stress to be contending with now that you've passed I'm sure.

Btw, if anyone has a 185/ 65 R14 wheel and tyre they could lend me for a Carina E five stud for a week in August that would be fantastic and I would be most appreciative. One I've on is grand but it differs from 3 other tyres I've on being 185/ 70 profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Next stop - Dragons Den.

Thanks.

OR, and I know this might be completely alien to you, you could fix things as they break on your car.

But sure we couldnt have people going around in properly maintained cars, can we? It's better to spend some time and effort getting one over on the NCT tester. :rolleyes:
    Good thinking Pkiernan. I'm actually quite surprised you didn't getting a rolloking from some of the "experts" on here for suggesting the idea though. Well done on passing the test, its a small little bit less stress to be contending with now that you've passed I'm sure.

Why put experts in inverted comma's like it's some sort of bad thing to have your car well kept and without bits hanging off?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    OR, and I know this might be completely alien to you, you could fix things as they break on your car.

But sure we couldnt have people going around in properly maintained cars, can we? It's better to spend some time and effort getting one over on the NCT tester. :rolleyes:

Why put experts in inverted comma's like it's some sort of bad thing to have your car well kept and with bits hanging off?

If you can't see the humour in my post, then you have serious issues of your own to be worrying about. Hint: The Dragons Den reference should have given you a clue....

And my car was maintained properly, and passed it's NCT. Apparently the testers agree with me that a cracked reverse light lens cover is not a safety issue.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why put experts in inverted comma's like it's some sort of bad thing to have your car well kept and with bits hanging off?

You obviously didn't pick up on it so. There was meant to be some hidden sarcasm in it, in that there are those on here that would proclaim to be experts but in reality many are only chancers giving duff advice. Also what exactly is hanging off OP's car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Come on now, lads - it's Friday.:)

Its Saturday here Anan1;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Its Saturday here Anan1;)
    :o

ok, how about 'come on, lads, it's the weekend'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also what exactly is hanging off OP's car?

I never said there was, but it was his suggestion to start a site so people could swap faulty parts on and off for NCT's.

Advertisement