Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless dropping, bad coverage

Options
  • 07-04-2009 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

So I have a netgear wireless DG834G router, and a MacBook os x 10.5.6 for some reason I can't connect to the Internet outside of my living room!
    It's fine when I'm on the sofa, next to the router, but when I move to the kitchen or upstairs, the connection drops or gets very very weak.

I see the network from my laptop, but it's too weak to connect.

Driving me bonkers! Anyone know what I can do? Could it be the router, or the mac?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

So I have a netgear wireless DG834G router, and a MacBook os x 10.5.6 for some reason I can't connect to the Internet outside of my living room!
    It's fine when I'm on the sofa, next to the router, but when I move to the kitchen or upstairs, the connection drops or gets very very weak.

I see the network from my laptop, but it's too weak to connect.

Driving me bonkers! Anyone know what I can do? Could it be the router, or the mac?

Thanks

Well it could be either but thats not very helpful. Is there any possibility that you could try another laptop to see if it gets a better signal? Also how does the mac perform in other wireless situations? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

Is this a recent development or has it always been this way?

Have you tried updating the firmware on the netgear?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coconut2674

dub45 wrote: »
    Well it could be either but thats not very helpful. Is there any possibility that you could try another laptop to see if it gets a better signal? Also how does the mac perform in other wireless situations? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

Is this a recent development or has it always been this way?

Have you tried updating the firmware on the netgear?

Well it is recent enough, last week it really started. I went through the channels to be sure, same problem. I have a netbook running xp, it seems to be ok, but I do notice a slow at a distance from the router, my desktop pc connects too, but it's above the router so I can't really get a good idea from that.

Firmware though, I'm not too sure -I might look into that, thanks!

Download netstumbler and see if there are any other wireless networks near you. Also any other wireless gizmos in the house that might be interfering?

heh, I live in a very gizmo house! I think I might lump myself back to a downgrade of my os, I think it could be the mac software. Thanks for your help! I'll download that program anyway though too

heh, I live in a very gizmo house! I think I might lump myself back to a downgrade of my os, I think it could be the mac software. Thanks for your help! I'll download that program anyway though too

Watch out for wireless senders they can be lethal. Did the problems start with a software upgrade by any chance?

Might also be worth posting on the mac forum too.

• Advertisement

I put something up on macrumors, usually are quite good. It just happened out of the blue, but I do remember having connection problems with a previous software update, so it could be a case of the software acting up again...

It doesn't do much harm anyway, only takes 2 hours to do

Advertisement