Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Completing Halo 3 on Legendary

• 07-04-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone done this? I've decided to punish myself.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was possible to just load up a save on Heroic/Normal near the end of the game, change the difficulty to Legendary and complete it that way (and get the achievement). Is this true? If so, I might not bother.

edit: also, the game is a wonderful challenge at this difficulty setting. Much more satisfying getting each of those checkpoints. I just hope I don't get stuck further on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Never mind Halo, you should be playing gears on insane ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Gears sucks donkey balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I think you have to complete all the campaign on legendary to get the achievment.

Its a lot better craic if you online co op the campaign on legendary,plus the Flood level near the end is a bitch on your own.

Plus you get a cool EOD helmet for beating on legendary.

Im kinda sick of the gears formula - it feels like your playing a cut scene the whole way through,its not dynamic enough feels very stiff even compared to drakes fortune on PS3. I wouldnt play through it again unless it was co op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play a game more deserving of your time. You'll only end up breaking a controller on the Flood level unless you play it online with 4 other people.

Ok google confirms that you only need to complete the last level to get the achievement for completing the game on legendary. What's the point of that?!

Don't think I'll bother now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Urgh, can we have one Halo 3 thread people don't insist on turning sour again?

quarry, if you can play it coop Legendary, do. Makes it a easier (unless you turn on skulls) and it's a lot of fun, but single player is good too. A nice little challenge, I can think of a few spots that are harder in SP but you'll manage them grand.
    Had the urge to play this coop again recently with some mates, hah, great laugh with some skulls turned on.

Are you playing for the experience and fun, or for the achievement? Play it on Legendary anyway!

I'm playing for the experience but (even though I generally don't care about acheivements) I still want the to see the achievement for completing it (properly).

If you're interested in a co-op during the week (thursday or the weekend) send me an invite.

• That flood level on legendary was by far the most frustrating ever. I could never get a coop game going either theres no way of finding public players. Most of my freinds on xbl were not playing it anymore. I can give you some help if you would like.

ok add me, Quarryman360.

i'll be online over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

can anyone confirm that you only need to finish the last level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From www.xbox360achievements.org (which is my bible for achievements and guides):
    Note #2: You can not simply beat the last level on Legendary to get the achievements, each one has to be done. You can do some on co-op and some solo and it still works, just check that there is a shield in the bottom right corner when you highlight a level. You must even watch the opening cutscene on the same difficulty to unlock the Campaign Complete achievements.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/halo-3/guide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This was a piece of piss at a LAN and I'm a below average gamer when it comes to FPS games

Great fun though, wish there were more games with 4 player campaign modes as good as Halo 3

Ah i see. So there is no overall Legendary completion acheivement? It seems that its just a set, one for each level.

This bugs me though:
    Note #1: The level achievements must be done in one go through or it won't register the achievements. In other words, don't save and quit in the middle of a level, wait until the start of the next level.

So last night, after saving my game in the middle of the level and exiting I won't get the acheivement when i return and complete it tonight. gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Legndary is great craic and a lot easier with 4 people on coop. Found it ridiculously hard on my own where Gears on Insane was much easier to do alone.

Only 2 levels to go now; The Covenant and Cortana (I'd completed the last level on Legendary to see the cutscene).

Tsavo highway was tough. The Ark seemed to go on *forever*. I don't think I died once on the Flood level.

The end is in sight! One more weekend should do it!

edit: also, to illustrate the epicness of this achievement I'm playing solo and not saving at any time. If you save and quit and return mid-level you don't get the skull and shield avatar-thing in the menu. This often means leaving the console on for an hour or so while i go off to eat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xX Mark Xx

Cortana is impossible. I needed a friend to help me with it. Basically we worked our way in, and then when it was time to go we ran out of the place past everybody.

Call of Duty 5 on Veteran is way harder than Halo 3 on Legendary though.

For me the hardest part is playing through the entire level without turning the console off. Not sure why they made you do that to get the completion.

xX Mark Xx wrote: »
    Call of Duty 5 on Veteran is way harder than Halo 3 on Legendary though.

I had to give up on Legendary until two of us completed it. Found it impossible. CoD WAW though was handy enough apart from a few tough spots but extremely frustrating thanks to the sheer amount a grenades aimed in your direction. COD2 on Vet still the toughest COD for me.

bucks73 wrote: »
    I had to give up on Legendary until two of us completed it. Found it impossible.

what part did you get stuck on? I'm wondering do i have anything really tough left. I know Cortana is supposed to be a b**ch.

quarryman wrote: »
    what part did you get stuck on? I'm wondering do i have anything really tough left. I know Cortana is supposed to be a b**ch.

The start. :D

Was struggling through the first chapter so thought feck it. Probably didnt give it enough time. Two of us did it without too much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The only way I was able to do Cortana was to stay away and pick things off very slowly one by one. Plasma rifle and sword are the only two weapons worth your salt. Use the plasma rifle to pick off the spiney ones and the sword for up close and nasty.

Definately the way the game should be played though. I went back after a year to do legendary and loved it twice as much when I finished it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Legendary with all the skulls on is painfully horrible, but very rewarding. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

GrumPy wrote: »
    Legendary with all the skulls on is painfully horrible, but very rewarding. :D

Ehhh... Was it any fun?

I would say it was hateful. Having no shields, half health and enemies with twice theirs. Also no hud, radar, half ammo etc.

It would be hateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just playing through Legendary myself too and am 2/3s of the way through the Cortana level.

The very first battle I must have died about 20 times and I was thinking of looking to go Co-op or at least consulting d'internet for some tips. But once I got into the swing of things I'm actually enjoying enjoying it and am quite close to the end now. It's actually much better compared to the flood levels on Halo 1 and 2.

Didn't know there was a sword on the level. I should look to pick one up, might make the last few bits that much easier. ;)

Just playing through Legendary myself too and am 2/3s of the way through the Cortana level.

The very first battle I must have died about 20 times and I was thinking of looking to go Co-op or at least consulting d'internet for some tips. But once I got into the swing of things I'm actually enjoying enjoying it and am quite close to the end now. It's actually much better compared to the flood levels on Halo 1 and 2.

Didn't know there was a sword on the level. I should look to pick one up, might make the last few bits that much easier. ;)
    Alot of the infected Elites have them particularly after you
    expose the cores. and have to make a break for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Took me ages untill me and my Friend discovered that most of the rooms in Cortana have a set amount of enemies so if you chill out and just kill them all instead of trying to fight tru its much less impossible.

God ****ing Damn i hate those things that stick to the ceilings and shoot down at you.

it feels amazing when you finish the level though its a proper gaming achievment.

Up there with climbing the agency tower in crackdown !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

RAIN wrote: »
    Took me ages untill me and my Friend discovered that most of the rooms in Cortana have a set amount of enemies

Yep that was absolutely key for me too. The flood isn't infinite, and when you realise that you relax so much more, so you don't get nagged with thoughts like "Is there a chance to make a break for it".

I have killed every flood in every room so far up to the point I'm at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That flood level still gives me nightmares, what an example of utterly bastardish level design..

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    That flood level still gives me nightmares, what an example of utterly bastardish level design..
    It wasn't so much the layout of the level as the enemy you were fighting. It was the fact that there was **** all ammo about and the levels were tight meaning when they did come at you it was hard to avoid them.

Once you avoided using projectile weapons though it was fine.

Advertisement