Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

floor covering - subfloor(?) question

Options
  • 07-04-2009 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi all,
    forgive me if this is pure nonsense, but i've a question I hope you can help with! (if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move).

we've recently taken up tiles and carpet and are in the process of replacing the whole lot with wooden flooring. When the carpet came up we took up the underlay to find a sort of 'cork' covering stuck to the concrete below - i've no idea what this was for; maybe a layer to remove moisture from the concrete floor or something, but i'm sure it helps with sound barrier to the appartment below and works as insulation too so we're happy to leave it as it is. However, when we took up the tiles in the kitchen part, this cork 'overlay' came up with the tiles so we have to replace that before we can put down the wooden floors on that section of the room...but i haven't a notion what to look for, and where to look for it!

Can anyone here help? I really hope so!!

thanks a million,
    NC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lickirishallsor

Call your nearest floor supplier for some sound absorbing material, but places like B&Q can sell such things too

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi

You can buy this on a roll from most carpet showroom/suppliers. Its a mixture of cork and rubber in a 4mm X 1mtr size

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

It might be the original floor covering. An uncle of mine has cork floor tiles in his kitchen, similar to those in the attached url. http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/620950?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=PPC-Products-Flooring

In your apt the cork may have been hard to remove so were subsequently tiled and carpeted over.

Maybe I'm wrong, as you say they could be for insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ncinnoir

Thanks guys,
    all sorted now, it was a soundproofing of sorts, and have managed to get my hands on some thanks to a great display of human kindness that you don't often experience anymore!

NC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

ncinnoir wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    all sorted now, it was a soundproofing of sorts, and have managed to get my hands on some thanks to a great display of human kindness that you don't often experience anymore!

NC

yeah . it a requirement when building apartments these days. stop foot steps tapping through to home below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement