Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea...Round 9.....FIGHT!!!

• 07-04-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

So it's that time of the year again.
    Part 9 of the Liverpool - Chelsea show.

In the previous 8 meetings, while Liverpool have come off the better, it's been absolutely razor tight.
    In fact both teams have won two a piece, and drawn 4.
    Even more incredibly, they have the same goal difference!

Now if this was a few months ago, I'd see Liverpool steamrolling Chelsea.
    Mainly because Rafa had Scolari's number.
    Hiddink makes for a different kettle of fish however, so that opens things up a little.
    Chelsea won't attack like Scolari made the mistake of trying against Rafa's counter attacking side, so it should be every bit as cagey.

Very important game for both sides.
    While some would argue that loosing leaves them to concentrate on the league push, I believe that a loss to the other, after all the history, could seriously hurt the team morale.
    Also, if either one is to dominate the other, it sends a message to UTD as UTD know that they'd be meeting the winner of this or Barcelona (sorry Bayern) in the final.
    This stands especially for Liverpool, as Liverpool are seen as the ones hunting UTD down, and Liverpool are the ones who just destroyed Madrid in the last round.
    If UTD see Liverpool looming in the rear window on two fronts, it could make the title chase more interesting IMO.

Anyway, I believe the game could be very cagey, and as a Liverpool supporter, I'm glad that this game comes when we're in great form, and with few injuries.

Teams

I'll leave the Chelsea squad predictions to somebody who knows more than me but for Liverpool I see.....

Reina

Arbelloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

To be honest the team writes itself these days.

Cavalieri
    Agger
    Hyypia
    The Doss
    Babel
    Bennayoun
    Ngog

On the bench.

Prediction
    2-0 I think it'll be very close, but that Liverpool will have too much in the later stages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hope Chelsea win first leg 2 - 0 and bollox up Pool in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

redout wrote: »

Shock horror!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

C'mon Liverpool!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i cant remember but is alonso suspended for this game? or is it masch? or am I imagining things?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i cant remember but is alonso suspended for this game? or is it masch? or am I imagining things?

Mascherano serves a one-match suspension. Arbeloa and Andrea Dossena are both within a booking of a ban.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have not won any of their last six away matches in the UEFA Champions League, while Liverpool are unbeaten in five home meetings with Chelsea and won the last Anfield encounter 2-0 in February thanks to Fernando Torres goals after 89 and 90 minutes.

The full breakdown of results is:
    2007/08 semi-final
    Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (Kuyt 43; Riise own goal 90+4)
    Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool (Drogba 33 115, Lampard 98 pen; Torres 64, Babel 117)
    Chelsea won 4-3 on aggregate

2006/07 semi-final
    Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (J Cole 29)
    Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (Agger 22)
    Aggregate 1-1; Liverpool won 4-1 on penalties

2005/06 group stage
    Liverpool 0-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool

2004/05 semi-final
    Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (García 4)
    Liverpool won 1-0 on aggregate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would you not want Liverpool to go through been a Man Utd fan after all if Liverpool go out then all focus will be on the League instead of a big clash with Barca or Bayern.

Mascherano serves a one-match suspension. Arbeloa and Andrea Dossena are both within a booking of a ban.
    redzerdrog wrote: »

*Ninja edit*

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I really, really, really have no interest in another Liverpool v Chelsea Champions League tie. Especially the first leg which has tended to be rather rubbish (apart from John Arne's spectacular error last time round).

I predict a draw. Potentially 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My prediction -

Tense, Tight, Torres.

• Advertisement

RichTea wrote: »
    I really, really, really have no interest in another Liverpool v Chelsea Champions League tie. Especially the first leg which has tended to be rather rubbish (apart from John Arne's spectacular error last time round).

Then why the hell are you in the Liverpool v Chelsea match thread ?

mike65 wrote: »
    My prediction -

Tense, Tight, Torres.

Otherwise known as "Mr Alan alone time"!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I think Chelsea will do us in this tie, have a feeling about it unfortunately.

Then why the hell are you in the Liverpool v Chelsea match thread ?

Allow me to rephrase - I'm a bit bored having Liverpool play Chelsea at this stage of the competition every season but I still think it's worthy of comment and an important game. So stopping by for the moment to see what the chatter in the thread was saying, I decided to throw my hat into to ring of outrageous predictors and voice off about the game.

Is that alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Allow me to rephrase - I'm a bit bored having Liverpool play Chelsea at this stage of the competition every season but I still think it's worthy of comment and an important game. So stopping by for the moment to see what the chatter in the thread was saying, I decided to throw my hat into to ring of outrageous predictors and voice off about the game.

Is that alright?
    Your time of the month then is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lampard to boss midfield, especially with Essien back and Chelsea to go through by more than 1 goal.

* be back in 8 days to gloat / edit *

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

So it's that time of the year again.
    Part 9 of the Liverpool - Chelsea show.

In the previous 8 meetings, while Liverpool have come off the better, it's been absolutely razor tight.
    In fact both teams have won two a piece, and drawn 4.
    Even more incredibly, they have the same goal difference!

Now if this was a few months ago, I'd see Liverpool steamrolling Chelsea.
    Mainly because Rafa had Scolari's number.
    Hiddink makes for a different kettle of fish however, so that opens things up a little.
    Chelsea won't attack like Scolari made the mistake of trying against Rafa's counter attacking side, so it should be every bit as cagey.

Very important game for both sides.
    While some would argue that loosing leaves them to concentrate on the league push, I believe that a loss to the other, after all the history, could seriously hurt the team morale.
    Also, if either one is to dominate the other, it sends a message to UTD as UTD know that they'd be meeting the winner of this or Barcelona (sorry Bayern) in the final.
    This stands especially for Liverpool, as Liverpool are seen as the ones hunting UTD down, and Liverpool are the ones who just destroyed Madrid in the last round.
    If UTD see Liverpool looming in the rear window on two fronts, it could make the title chase more interesting IMO.

Anyway, I believe the game could be very cagey, and as a Liverpool supporter, I'm glad that this game comes when we're in great form, and with few injuries.

Teams

I'll leave the Chelsea squad predictions to somebody who knows more than me but for Liverpool I see.....

Reina

Arbelloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

To be honest the team writes itself these days.

Cavalieri
    Agger
    Hyypia
    The Doss
    Babel
    Bennayoun
    Ngog

On the bench.

I have done a complete U turn on my thoughts on Dossena. As a full back he's a disaster but I'd have him on the left wing any day instead of Babel. I don't want Babel shot JUST yet but that's only because he scored the winner against United at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have done a complete U turn on my thoughts on Dossena. As a full back he's a disaster but I'd have him on the left wing any day instead of Babel. I don't want Babel shot JUST yet but that's only because he scored the winner against United at Anfield.

Dossena has done nothing of note on the left wing. He scored a couple of goals but lets face it, one of them was a tap in. More often than not he over hits his crosses. He very very rarely beats his man. I would have Babel, Riera, Benayoun and probably Aurelio on the left wing ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Is that alright?

and we're all a bit bored with uniteds handy draws at this stage in the competition.

Roma
    Roma
    Null and void (bottom of the group)
    null and void (put out in second round)

Highsider wrote: »
    Your time of the month then is it?

It is yeah

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Dossena has done nothing of note on the left wing. He scored a couple of goals but lets face it, one of them was a tap in. More often than not he over hits his crosses. He very very rarely beats his man. I would have Babel, Riera, Benayoun and probably Aurelio on the left wing ahead of him.

Fair enough but he has put in some good crosses, with pace too, which is difficult to deal with as a defender. I feel he deserves some credit considering the massive amount of slating he's gotten this year.

Dossena is going to be a very different player next year.
    He's lost about a stone since joining, and his fitness has improved a lot.
    With him on the left, and Kuyt on the right, you have a very difficult time for any opposing wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Guus seems to like playing:

Cech
    Ivanovic Carvalho Terry Cole
    Mikel
    Ballack Lampard
    Essien Anelka
    Drogba

Bench : Hilario, Alex, Bosingwa, Belletti, Deco, Kalou, Malouda

JT, Cole and Anelka a booking away from a suspension.
    Dreading tomorrow night. Will not be a comfortable nights viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I, pretty much as always, expect a Chelsea victory in nearly every game they play :) I'm conditioned to it by now.

I think in terms of this game, Chelsea are one of the few teams that are really able to deal with how Liverpool set up in terms of harrying and hassling the teams. They are quite resiliant and physical, much more so than United or Arsenal. I think in terms of which team Liverpool would find it hardest to beat, I think Chelsea are the top of the list within the top 4.

Normally Chelsea have trouble against top teams, real trouble, because they can't deal with the lack of width and are forced to go through the centre. I think this game will be really troublesome for Liverpool because they are missing their most important player (for this sort of game) Mascherano. As such, I think Chelsea will nick the away goal that will be crucial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If Essien holds the midfield then Chelsea win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Essien is the only chelsea player i am worried about, if he has a good game chelsea will hurt us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just think if Liverpool can bring any sort of lead into the second leg, then we'll go through. Ideally, a clean sheet would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Think momentum favours Liverpool - they are on a roll and the only fear I have is that the first leg is at Anfield.

If Chelsea get a result - particularly a score draw - then I think it will be very difficult at Stamford Bridge and certainly with Hiddink in charge, they will be a tough nut to crack!

Chelsea are going to shut up shop at Anfield.
    If Liverpool can break through, and get the lead, Liverpool will be clear favorites.
    If Chelsea have to attack us at the bridge, we'll counter attack and tear them apart.

I can see 3-0 Liverpool on aggeragate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Is this the first time we go into a Liverpool Chelsea Champions League game as perhaps slight favorites? Definitely a sign of how well we are progressing under Rafa.

I feel that if we play like we have played in the last few weeks (and I include Fulham in this despite the fact it was a last minute winner I was very impressed by the performance, we were on top for 94 minutes and couldve easily won by 3 or 4), with a very high tempo and lots of confidence, then we can do a lot of damage to Chelsea in this first leg. Im sure Rafa will have us going at them full throttle from the off and the crowd should be a help in getting on top of them early as well.

Feel that a clean sheet is vital as well. If Chelsea get the first goal it's going to be mighty difficult to win the game, which would put them in a very strong position for the second leg.

I'm going for 1-0 Liverpool. However, I agree with the earlier post about Hiddink. He may try to stifle the game and a 0-0 is certainly not out of the question.

What are people's opinion of how this game will affect the title race? Ferguson said he sees whoever comes through this tie as his biggest rivals. Do you agree? Do you think that a Liverpool progression will help the title charge (boost in morale etc...) or hinder it (more games, tiredness, injuries etc...)? Likewise for Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    Well he did hit the post twice over the weekend. I think he's a decent option for left wing tbh. Backup only, but decent for the role

If Liverpool dont concede in first leg they will qualify imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I personally think the second leg being at Stamford Bridge will see Chelsea through. Although Liverpool have suprised me this season. I can see them winning the home leg 2-1 or 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

After these quarter-finals, Chelsea and Liverpool will have faced each other 24 times in 5 seasons. Incredible.

This won't be an easy match by any stretch of the imagination, for either team. Chelsea only managed to knock Liverpool out of the Champions League once from four attempts. But that once was when the second leg was at Stamford Bridge, as it is this season.

But Liverpool have improved against the big teams this season, taking 13 points from 15 against the Big 4 in the league this season, as well as beating Real Madrid home and away.

In my opinion, whoever wins tomorrow should go through to the semis. If it ends a draw, it could go either way, but Chelsea will certainly have the advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this has boring 0 - 0 written all over it like a bad rash. probably going to be a terrible game full of boredom and lack of invention

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    this has boring 0 - 0 written all over it like a bad rash. probably going to be a terrible game full of boredom and lack of invention
    Yes because Liverpool have been terrible boring to watch this season have'nt they :rolleyes: I'd rather go watch Halifax Town myself.

It is yeah
    Thought as much

Jazzy wrote: »

Are you doing a 'Mike' thing here, (reverse thingymajiggy) or is this your true opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This will be the dullest Sh1t on a stick game ever staged. Torture cells in Third world countries still feature the low-lights of the 2005 and 2007 matches projected onto all four walls as a 1000w stereo blasts out punditry by Ronnie Wheelan and Jim Beglin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Highsider wrote: »
    Yes because Liverpool have been terrible boring to watch this season have'nt they :rolleyes: I'd rather go watch Halifax Town myself.

no, im being truthful. its because of the opposition tbh. id love if it was full of excitement and watnot but just cant see that happening. not at this stage of the season and not with all there is to play for.
    i think it will be 1-0 at most, and at that to liverpool via some sort of deflected goal from kuyt

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I personally think the second leg being at Stamford Bridge will see Chelsea through. Although Liverpool have suprised me this season. I can see them winning the home leg 2-1 or 2-0.

If Liverpool win 2-0 the Chelsea haven't a hope of going through.
    Any team that plays attacking football against Liverpool is going to get torn apart at the moment.
    If Liverpool go to the bridge with a two goal cushion, Chelsea will have to attack.
    That's exactly what Liverpool want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The fact that we have beated them twice this season already should give one a reason to be confident but I can't see us beating them again over 2 legs. It just doesn't happen when you have two teams of equal ability. Mind you, I really hope I am wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

In my opinion, whoever wins tomorrow should go through to the semis. If it ends a draw, it could go either way, but Chelsea will certainly have the advantage.

Really.What makes you think that?:pac:

I know most of you are probably expecting a dull boring game,but I don't see it tbh.
    I'm presuming Rafa will send Liverpool out on a full offensive,if this is the case this match should be anything but boring.I'm expecting two cracking games from two of the best teams in europe.
    Bring it on!!

I don't read anything into Fergusons comments either.He knows well that at this moment in time Liverpool are Uniteds biggest threat in the league,he's having a swipe at Rafa,basically trying to say you can't do both.Well newsflash Mr Ferguson if Liverpool manage to overcome Chelsea,it'll be double trouble for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

mike65 wrote: »
    This will be the dullest Sh1t on a stick game ever staged. Torture cells in Third world countries still feature the low-lights of the 2005 and 2007 matches projected onto all four walls as a 1000w stereo blasts out punditry by Ronnie Wheelan and Jim Beglin.

theres always an option however, you could not watch it if you're that certain it'll be crap

also is it just me or am i just super confident about tomorrow night

essienMS_468x524.jpg

G'wan Essien.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I think this will be an entertaining tie...I can see Pool starting the game at 100 mph, like they did against Madrid and try and put the tie to bed...not saying it will happen like that but I do think both games will be good to watch. My prediction is 2-1 to Pool tonight and 1-1 draw at the bridge...hopefully anyway!

Damn.
    And here I was thinking that Essien wasplaying in 2007 when we knocked them out in Anfield!
    And if you're using Essien as an excuse, I suppose Liverpool beating ye at home without Torres is nothing.

A player doesn't make the team.

Anyway, Essien doesn't have a Dietmar Hamann to try and maim this time.

essien2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

whilst Essien is an absolute beast of a player, i still think Liverpool will have enough about them tonight to win. Hopefully without conceding an away goal.
    Hopefully Riera can continue the form he showed against Villa and hopefully Drogba won't be fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Meh, the result of this tie is irrelevant, ye'll be getting knocked out by us next round anyway. ;):pac::P

• Advertisement
Advertisement