Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea...Round 9.....FIGHT!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

el rabitos wrote: »
    zonal marking has nothing to do with players day-dreaming.

both goals we skrtle and gerrards fault respectively.

alonso was a fault for the first goal, its not the first time either he has been day-dreaming on a corner which led to a goal in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lads stop using /zonal/ marking

who the fook invented this word. how hard is it to pick up players from set pieces

no 'zonal Scientology' required.

You don't seem to understand what's going on at all tbh.

"picking up players" is called Man Marking. Marking space instead of opposition players is called Zonal Marking.

This seems to be eluding you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

what a perfect blue day

got a bit of myself and booked a speculative flight to barcelona

happy days

ivanovic who'd have thought it

so fecking happy :) really expected us to lose that and even ballack looked kinda interested after 70 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Did I hear correctly that only one team has progressed after losing the 1st leg? Who was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

keane2097 wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand what's going on at all tbh.

"picking up players" is called Man Marking. Marking space instead of opposition players is called Zonal Marking.

This seems to be eluding you...

since when was 'zonal' marking used to describe defending [or non defending]

I don't think Alex Ferguson used 'zonal' marking during his decade of success at Man U up to now to win so much trophy's :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its a fancy way of saying to pick up your markers or defend properly but whatever floats your boat

Sincerely,

Mr.Zonal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

eddiehead wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly that only one team has progressed after losing the 1st leg? Who was that?
    Ajax in 1995/96, coming back from a 1-0 home defeat by Panathinaikos to win the away leg 3-0.

I don't think Alex Ferguson used 'zonal' marking during his decade of success at Man U up to now to win so much trophy's :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its a fancy way of saying to pick up your markers or defend properly but whatever floats your boat

Sincerely,

Mr.Zonal

Are you actually serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The better team won tonight,we were totally outclassed and outplayed bar a 6minute start to the game.

Chelsea had us nailed on from there and thoroughly deserved the win and possibly by more.Zonal or Man it doesnt matter if you defend like kids.

On the Zonal thing,while Rafa has used this have liverpool not equalled and set new defensive club records.
    If done right it is very effective and anyway Liverpool use an almost Hyprid version of it where in tonights case Alonso should ahve marked his man and not let him run past.

Game over now and onwards towards a hopeful league push.

Terry out and Masch back will make a difference but not enough to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

growler wrote: »
    ivanovic who'd have thought it
    United were chasing him along with Chelsea. Class player. Kept Riera (who has been on form recently) quiet until he was taken off and the two headers (first one especially) were superb. And he's naturally a CD!

Barca ran riot against one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen in the CL tonight. Chelsea will give them no such chances and your midfield tonight was like a machine. Keep Mikel out and get Ballack and Essien a few games and you'll beat Barca imo.

Edit: Raven's post reminded me. The difference between a Liverpool performance with and without Mascherano is phenomenal. He was sorely, sorely missed tonight. Lucas was more negative than Scholes and carrick last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eddiehead wrote: »

No the lads had wrong info as:

(They were talking about deficit btw)

Deportivo came from 4-1 down against Milan to win 2nd leg 4-0 in the quarters in 2004

Barca came from 3-1 down against Chelsea in 2000 to win 2nd leg 5-1 in the quarters in 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hes here,
    hes there,
    he scored two goals from cor-o-ners..
    ivanovic...ivanovic...

rise it up chelsea!

papagormo wrote: »
    hes here,
    hes there,
    ivanovic...ivanovic...

rise it up chelsea!

Poor attempt imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

hes here,
    hes there,
    ivanovic...ivanovic...

rise it up chelsea!

That's embarrassing...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Are you actually serious?

why wouldn't i, pool were gash at set pieces, nothing new there. they conceded a fair few and chelsea obviously did their homework so fair play to them

pool should learn how to defend properly

errr and use the zonal technique of marking opposition players of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

hes here,
    hes there,
    ivanovic...ivanovic...

rise it up chelsea!

You should submit this and other pieces of your work to the RTE there
    they would probably give you the prime monday night comedy slot:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sincerely,

Mr.Zonal

*chuckle* I don't think you understand what youre talking about. I mean that in all seriousness. Im not trying to insult you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

raven136 wrote: »
    The better team won tonight,we were totally outclassed and outplayed bar a 6minute start to the game.

Chelsea had us nailed on from there and thoroughly deserved the win and possibly by more.Zonal or Man it doesnt matter if you defend like kids.

On the Zonal thing,while Rafa has used this have liverpool not equalled and set new defensive club records.
    If done right it is very effective and anyway Liverpool use an almost Hyprid version of it where in tonights case Alonso should ahve marked his man and not let him run past.

Game over now and onwards towards a hopeful league push.

Terry out and Masch back will make a difference but not enough to win it.
    im not sure will masch be a benefit to liverpool in the next leg tbh
    he is a DM after all

maybe im wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

redout wrote: »
    No the lads had wrong info as:

(They were talking about deficit btw)

Deportivo came from 4-1 down against Milan to win 2nd leg 4-0 in the quarters in 2004

Barca came from 3-1 down against Chelsea in 2000 to win 2nd leg 5-1 in the quarters in 2000

Barca were away in first leg AFAIK, they said only one team lost first leg at HOME and went onto win which was Ajax in 1995/96, coming back from a 1-0 home defeat by Panathinaikos to win the away leg 3-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Well that was unexpected.

Liverpool should be as good as out, but looking at recent Champions League results that is by no means a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Headshot wrote: »
    im not sure will masch be a benefit to liverpool in the next leg tbh
    he is a DM after all

maybe im wrong?

would be nice to have a liverpool player who might tackle.

Hey Essien might actually let the Liverpool centre midfielders play in the next game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a wonderful chelsea peformance first and foremost.

us pool fans can have no complaints really. apart from that kuyt chance we didn't have anything as gilt-edged as the numerous chances chelsea created.

essien and drogba make that team scary as f**k to be honest. stevie didn't have a kick, while carra and skrtel didn't have a clue how to handle didier.

if we were able to defend set-pieces tonight we could still have got out of this with an ok result.

masch was a HUGE miss, and would have made a big difference I reckon.

once the third went in, our play noticably deteriorated. and it all had started so well. a mate of mine put a bet on after the torres goal for Liverpool to win the Double :D

here's to at least giving it a right go in the 2nd leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Unlucky Liverpool, the tie isn't over, but it will take something of Istanbul proportions to pull it off. Not impossible, but realistically I think Chelsea would be the easier tie if for Barca if they end up qualifying for the semis..

hah!:D cheers frisbee.

i lay down the gauntlet, try putting ivanovic into a rhyme..
    granted its no "who let the drogs out" or "steve gerrard gerrard" but its an attempt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

eZe^ wrote: »
    Unlucky Liverpool, the tie isn't over, but it will take something of Istanbul proportions to pull it off. Not impossible, but realistically I think Chelsea would be the easier tie if for Barca if they end up qualifying for the semis..
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

awful just awful is the only way to describe liverpool tonight, who knows if gerrard is let out of essiens pocket for the next game maybe just maybe we'll get the istanbul again. thats only maybe. either way chelsea fully deserved their victory tonight and fair play to them

damn you keane2097 making me apologise, either way i apoogise for being ridiculous last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

CHD wrote: »
    LOL

There's no team in world football more capable at shutting down a possession and attacking based team than Liverpool.... I'd definitely be more afraid of facing Liverpool than Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can I just point out that while this thread has progressed pretty well so far, referencing any behaviour from last night in relation to other match threads will do it no good.

Stick to match discussion please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This zonal vs man marking debate is so silly really.

Both types of defending will work nearly everytime if you have the right players to play the system.

There are some teams that one might not work against where the other will. Chelsea would be one of those teams where zonal seems less effective but the reason for that is the amount of players who are good in the air.

You can't train your team to do one, and then expect them to automatically be able to do the other when the occasion requires it. That zonal system will work against the other big four teams and most teams in Europe. Its rare that you meet a team with the arial prowess of Chelsea.

I do think that Hypia would have been a better player for Liverpool in Central defense but thats only because Anelka did not start. Benitez does not have this information when he picks his team so the point is irrelevant really. I'm quite sure also that if he was brought on, you would have seen Hiddink immediately counter with the introduction of Anelka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

CHD wrote: »
    LOL

you may be getting a little carried away with tonights result. Liverpool have proved time and time again they are the best off the ball team in Europe. tonight hasn't changed that.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    *chuckle* I don't think you understand what youre talking about. I mean that in all seriousness. Im not trying to insult you.

when the fook did anyone use zonal marking in analysis.?

I think it arised from Liveprool, or Basketball or something.

or it might be a unique way to describe nondescript defending from elite sky 4 teams.

zonal marking >

http://www.imemc.org/attachments/mar2009/eu_img.jpg

you may be getting a little carried away with tonights result. Liverpool have proved time and time again they are the best off the ball team in Europe. tonight hasn't changed that.

being the best off the ball team counts for nothing when you lose 3 1 at home in the first leg of any competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

see whatawaster liverpools trump card is gone now (anfield) but its not impossible but I wont be putting money on it

liverpool will have to attack so I see chelsea getting some success from the counter attack

Iang87 wrote: »
    being the best off the ball team counts for nothing when you lose 3 1 at home in the first leg of any competition

did i say it did? Chelsea beat us tonight. We've beaten Chelsea twice this season. Oh well

Headshot wrote: »
    see whatawaster liverpools trump card is gone now (anfield) but its not impossible but I wont be putting money on it

liverpool will have to attack so I see chelsea getting some success from the counter attack

i wouldn't put a penny on it either to be honest. And unless we have a good first half i wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard and Torres come off, with Arsenal at the weekend.

did i say it did? Chelsea beat us tonight. We've beaten Chelsea twice this season. Oh well

ok man didnt mean to come across like i was slagging you. just who knows what next tuesdays game. we were given 45 minutes to score 3 against milan. why not do it in 90 against chelsea minus terry.

Iang87 wrote: »
    ok man didnt mean to come across like i was slagging you. just who knows what next tuesdays game. we were given 45 minutes to score 3 against milan. why not do it in 90 against chelsea minus terry.

let's just do it in 6 minutes again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Not carried away at all. I expect us to beat Liverpool over two legs and would expect us to advance to the Final if we do.

i wouldn't put a penny on it either to be honest. And unless we have a good first half i wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard and Torres come off, with Arsenal at the weekend.

couldn't agree with that more. if rafa feels its beyond us he will take them off. we wont like it next tuesday but we might love it sunday week

• Advertisement

let's just do it in 6 minutes again!

fine i wanted to avoid that to give chelsea a chance but ya i'd take that if it was offered to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LOL

hah! contro!...sure that plan didnt work out so good either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It feels so wrong

but I LOVED Chelsea winning tonight :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    It feels so wrong

but I LOVED Chelsea winning tonight :)

To be fair, they played some gorgeous stuff - it was hard not to enjoy it from a (somewhat at least) neutral point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Essien makes a massive difference in the Chelsea midfield super player the tie is as good as dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Unlucky Liverpool, the tie isn't over, but it will take something of Istanbul proportions to pull it off.

More chance of getting pulled off by the tramp on the ha'penny bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why wouldn't i, pool were gash at set pieces, nothing new there. they conceded a fair few and chelsea obviously did their homework so fair play to them

pool should learn how to defend properly

errr and use the zonal technique of marking opposition players of course :rolleyes:
    Lads stop using /zonal/ marking

who the fook invented this word. how hard is it to pick up players from set pieces

no 'zonal Scientology' required.

oh god, your trend of embarrasing yourself continues :(

first off, SAF uses a mixture of zonal marking & man marking as far as i know. as do many of the top managers in world football.

secondly, liverpool as far as i'm aware, have conceded 3 goals all season directly from corners. the first was an Alonso og against Middlesborough, the second two came tonight.

Thirdly, Liverpools defense has been quite outstanding since the arrival of Benitez & the introduction of zonal marking at the club. Reina claiming the golden gloves (conceding the least amount in the league) the last 3 years is testament to this.

Finally, pool being "gash" at set pieces was something new-despite what you may like to claim.

What we saw tonight was simply zonal marking being carried out poorly, similarly to the way every weekend up & down the PL we see man marking being carried out poorly. it was not proof of zonal marking not working or it being an inferior style, despite wat the RTE embarrasments might like to make out.

now...

Chelsea were awesome tonight & were good value for their win.

We can win by 3 clear goals at Stamford Bridge, we are more than capable, see the recent Utd match as an example....or we can match the score line tonight & take it to extra time & penalties BUT both these are unlikely. Tonights result could prove to be a blessing in disguise, but it was still hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Do you not think that after conceding the first goal this evening that Rafa could have changed tactics obviously knowing that if it happened once then it could happen again given the space Ivanovic had was shocking. I think Giles explained it well and showed that its a flawed system after the game in the analysis.

EDIT: One can bitch and argue and throw all the stats you want at it but Giles really did show that its a flawed system. Not only is a player confined to mark a certain space he is also at the disadvantage of not being able to attack the ball immediately putting one's self at a disadvantage to the attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

redout wrote: »
    Do you not think that after conceding the first goal this evening that Rafa could have changed tactics obviously knowing that if it happened once then it could happen again given the space Ivanovic had was shocking. I think Giles explained it well and showed that its a flawed system after the game in the analysis.

EDIT: One can bitch and argue and throw all the stats you want at it but Giles really did show that its a flawed system. Not only is a player confined to mark a certain space he is also at the disadvantage of not being able to attack the ball immediately putting one's self at a disadvantage to the attacker.

Do i not think Rafa should have changed to a totally different system mid match because we failed to do what we were meant to do right, in a champions league quarter final?

No redout, no i don't. I think Rafa should have stayed with the tried & tested system that has us about the tightest defence in England, particularly from set pieces.

Giles exposed himself tonight when he talked about how tactics didnt really have anything to do with football.....tbh, i'm starting to worry a little bit about the guys mental health.

They kept talking about how we concede so much from set pieces yet Rafa is too stubborn to change. Quite confusing when you take into account that we very very very very very rarely concede from set pieces & our goalie has won the golden gloves 3 years on the trot for conceding the least amount of goals in the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement