Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea...Round 9.....FIGHT!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

eZe^ wrote: »
    Meh, the result of this tie is irrelevant, ye'll be getting knocked out by us next round anyway. ;):pac::P

My only regret is we'll have to beat ye in the semis rather than in a great final!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Meh, the result of this tie is irrelevant, ye'll be getting knocked out by us next round anyway. ;):pac::P

I don't know, i think Ribery could do sick things to your defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

My only regret is we'll have to beat ye in the semis rather than in a great final!:p

I can't wait to be honest. I would love to play this Liverpool side if we progress against Bayern. Test our mettle against the benchmark of teams that make it difficult for the opposition to play dominating football.

I don't know, i think Ribery could do sick things to your defense

Watch Iniesta tonight on the highlights show, I can guarantee you he'll do something special... :) It's true though, Bayern have more than enough to beat us over two legs, with one of the best attacks in world football. But I still think we have both a better defence and attack. Still though, Porto proved us all wrong last night, nothing's impossible in football.

I can't wait to be honest. I would love to play this Liverpool side if we progress against Bayern. Test our mettle against the benchmark of teams that make it difficult for the opposition to play dominating football.

Agree completely.
    Winning against minnows is nothing.
    You can't be the best untill you beat the best.
    With Barca's amazing forward line, and Liverpools current counter attacking prowess, it would be one hell of a game.
    Just as a spectators event alone it would be incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

2-0 I think it'll be very close, but that Liverpool will have too much in the later stages.

Why the spoiler tag? Are you gifted with clairvoyance? :)

stovelid wrote: »
    Why the spoiler tag? Are you gifted with clairvoyance? :)

I knew you'd say that.:p

(hang over from the MMA forum.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It's true though, Bayern have more than enough to beat us over two legs, with one of the best attacks in world football. But I still think we have both a better defence and attack. Still though, Porto proved us all wrong last night, nothing's impossible in football.

Top scorer Klose is out injured so there attack is already weakened. Lucio is also missing in defence so I reckon Bayern are going to have it tough. Pool to stop Barca is what my money would be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Petr Čech + Essien = :(

ferdi wrote: »
    Petr Čech + Essien = :(

I'd take Riena and Masch anyday (I know Masch isn't playing {now:p}).

Just my prefference.

Pepe for another assist!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol

Essien > Mascherano

EZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CHD wrote: »
    lol

Essien > Mascherano

EZ

lol you can't even compare the two. Anyway is Drogba playing tonight?

lol

Essien > Mascherano

EZ

maybe, but all that matters too me is that:

Masch+Xabi+Stevie >>>>> Essien+Ballack+Lampard

maybe, but all that matters too me is that:

Masch+Xabi+Stevie >>>>> Essien+Ballack+Lampard
    Yep, we have been let down in midfield this year. Doesn't mean that trio cant outperform yours tonight. Just hope Mikel isn't holding the midfield.

RasTa wrote: »
    lol you can't even compare the two. Anyway is Drogba playing tonight?
    Yeah you can, i just did.

Essien > Masch

See i did it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Essien > Masch

See i did it again.

I'm on the Essien side btw who is only second to Nicky Butt.

• Advertisement

lol

Essien > Mascherano

EZ

Essien > Mascherano (slightly)

Essien for Chelsea < Mascherano for Liverpool.

Simple.

Mascherano does more for the team, and Liverpool owe a lot to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

true, as an all rounder Essien is awesome, at the purely defensive side, Masch is awesome. Masch does need Alonso to be playing well to get the best balance in midfield, while Essien can do more if his partner is underperforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Torres is due a goal ... come on the Pool ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he does like to score them against Chelsea alright

Essien > Mascherano (slightly)

Essien for Chelsea < Mascherano for Liverpool.

Simple.

Mascherano does more for the team, and Liverpool owe a lot to him.
    I disagree. Essien is alot better than Mascherano. I really don't see what makes Masch so good. Pool fans overate him imo.

• Advertisement

Essien > Masch

See i did it again.

Hard to say really sir. Masch is better breaking up the play while Essien is more of an engine and is good in attack too. Maybe I'll give you it though ;) .

Without trying to offend Newcastle I'd like to say that if the Chelsea that showed up against Newcastle at the weekend show up tonight I expect an easy Liverpool win. If the Chelsea turn up that they can be then it will be a cracker. I actually hope they do because I am sick of annihilating all these big clubs... getting boring lads :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I disagree. Essien is alot better than Mascherano. I really don't see what makes Masch so good. Pool fans overate him imo.

+1
    I agree, Essien at his best is a very very good player, better than Mascherano, but dont underestimate Mascherano, he's a very good player too, just not as good as Essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really don't see what makes Masch so good. Pool fans overate him imo.

I think the opposite is true. I feel thats hes under rated by other fans. Its much easier to showcase how good Gerrard or Torres are on match of the day. To understand how good Mascherano is you really have to watch full games. I think hes the best tackler in the world and the best defensive midfielder around. Hes not as good in other areas as Essien, true. But over rated ? Definitely not.

Masch is so good in big games it's unreal. Remember the CL finals against Milan?

Remember Kaka in 05? Course you do. Masch wasn't playing
    Remember him in 07? Nope, the monster marked him out of the game.

Masch is so good in big games it's unreal. Remember the CL finals against Milan?

Remember Kaka in 05? Course you do. Masch wasn't playing
    Remember him in 07? Nope, the monster marked him out of the game.

Indeed. Couple of Masch v Kaka moments. The first tackle is out of this world.

Yeah, that's why he's the captain of Argentina, and has two Olympic gold medals.

Essien is a great player, and he can adapt well to adversity.
    He's amazing.
    Really is.

Masch as an individual may not be at Essiens level (yet) but the way that Liverpool play suits him to the ground.
    More so than Chelsea with Essien (I'm going on old Chelsea here for obvious reasons this season).

As I said.
    Masch for Liverpool > Essien for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Masch is a better defensive midfielder, Essien is a better all rounder. Who cares anyway!!

It's a sign of football today that a player is considered better because he's more offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I've a sneaky feeling Chelsea are going to win tonight (well at least score a goal) and it's making me really sick inside :(!! I hope lucas plays good tonight and doesn't give away any useless freekicks and Alonso to dominate midfeild. If they keep Gerrard and Torres out of the game we are in big trouble, they will probably stick Essien on Gerrard the whole night.

O and please god I hope Drogba has the worst game of his life tonight!!! :D

ImJohn wrote: »
    I hope lucas plays good tonight and doesn't give away any useless freekicks and Alonso to dominate midfeild.

Alonso is more prone to giving away vital frees than Lucas. CL final springs to mind. Lucas won't let us down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

ImJohn wrote: »
    I've a sneaky feeling Chelsea are going to win tonight (well at least score a goal) and it's making me really sick inside :(!! I hope lucas plays good tonight and doesn't give away any useless freekicks and Alonso to dominate midfeild. If they keep Gerrard and Torres out of the game we are in big trouble, they will probably stick Essien on Gerrard the whole night.

O and please god I hope Drogba has the worst game of his life tonight!!! :D

Keep the faith. Our European predigree will stand to us tonight against Chelski. Yes a good team but one that will once again struggle to cope with another big European night at Anfield in front of the best supporters in the world. :):):):):)

El Nino and Gerrard to put on a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea

Lampard and Kalou (or someone else similarly as rubbish) to catch Liverpool cold

I reckon Rafa will try to do as much damage as possible tonight as he knows the 2nd leg at stamford bridge will be a tough one. Someone mentioned out of the blocks at 100mph like against Real Madrid. Dont think so as this is Chelsea and actual top quality side who could handle it.

redout wrote: »
    I reckon Rafa will try to do as much damage as possible tonight as he knows the 2nd leg at stamford bridge will be a tough one. Someone mentioned out of the blocks at 100mph like against Real Madrid. Dont think so as this is Chelsea and actual top quality side who could handle it.

UTD couldn't.

UTD couldn't.

Difference being Chelsea are not in a mini-crisis and have Drogba back on form with Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Terry is on a yellow I think so Pool should should try get him another as the second leg without him Chelsea will be like putty in your hands.

Whenever he is out Chelsea are always a different side.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

redout wrote: »
    Terry is on a yellow I think so Pool should should try get him another as the second leg without him Chelsea will be like putty in your hands.

Whenever he is out Chelsea are always a different side.

Revenge for Gudjohnson vs. Alonso, I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Prediction for tonight, Pool 3 - Chavski 0, Torres with 2 and Yossi with the other. Masch will be a loss but i can see Lucas being told to sit on Essien with Gerrard dropping back to help in midfield. MVP for tonight will be Kuyt.

ziggy wrote: »

We didn't start the game at 100 miles an hour, but as soon s we did, 1-0 became 1-4 by the end.

I don't care if Liverpool wait untill the 80th minute at 0-0 to blitz Chelsea and make it 2/3-0 by 90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Albert Riera and Fabio Aurelio return for Liverpool against Chelsea in the Champions League quarter-final first leg this evening.

Andrea Dossena and Emiliano Insua make way, while Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard once again spearhead Liverpool's attack.

The Reds XI in full is:

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Skrtel-Aurelio
    Alonso-Lucas,
    Kuyt----Gerrard
    Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Ngog, Benayoun, Babel, Hyypia, Agger, Dossena.

I'm not optimistic about this one unfortunately. Mascherano is a MASSIVE loss. We will need Lucas to be on top of his game. Benayoun definitely deserves game time. He has delivered consistently every time hes played in the last couple of months. Id almost start him on the left ahead of Riera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yossi smells best as a fresh sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Thats prob the strongest team that could have been put out..(arguably benn in for kuyt but he does well in cl)

Whats the chelsea team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1-1
    Torres and drogba to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This in all likelihood will be a stinker. The second leg could be a classic but I expect this game to be very tight. Maybe 0-0.

Come on Chelski!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Disappointed with Lucas starting. He is so negative i hate I dont like him
    Would have preferred beni in the team.

2-0 to the pool

Full of confidence at the mo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm extremely reluctant to go against Liverpool's pedigree, but I do rate Mascherano and Essien extremely highly and only one of them is playing. I just wonder if that might give Chelsea a slight advantage - will Liverpool be as solid as usual and able to keep a clean sheet?

I imagine Man United fans want Chelsea to win because I think most recognise that confidence and form are more important than freshness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mind you, I just noticed Malouda is starting for Chelsea. Advantage Liverpool :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement