Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea...Round 9.....FIGHT!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Are they explaining the zonal marking on the panel yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Fair result considering how the match went.

Chelsea thoroughly deserved the win. The Liverpool defence was static. Defence of the corners was dismal, and Skrtel imparticular always seemed a step behind the pace of the match.

I said earlier that whoever wins this match will go through, and I don't think that there will be a different outcome.

We might get a 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, but certainly not enough to qualify. Barcelona vs. Chelsea should be a cracker.

Still, at least now we can concentrate on the league :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Villain wrote: »
    Skrtel isn't strong enough in the air, if Drogba wasn't fit I would agree with you but Hypia would have been much more dominant in the air imo

Meh, if you are going to boil it down to such simplistic differences between them then the obvious counter is that you couldn't start Sammi because his lack of pace would be destroyed.

Our two best center halves started tonight. One of them performed poorly, and his opposite number had a huge game. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Great stuff from Chelsea, Essien is an animal, what i would give for one of him at utd... Really deserved thier win, anfield didnt detere them at all, fair play, thats the best ive seem them all season by a mile...

Bit of pressure on Liverpool now, in recent years utd were able to bounce back domestically after a poor result on the continent, Liverpool will have to do the same if they wanna be there at end game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sami got his champs league place back when Keane was sold. It was a bad night, every team has one. No one played good tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

dfx- wrote: »
    Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea

Lampard and Kalou (or someone else similarly as rubbish) to catch Liverpool cold
    Well Played Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol, analysis of Zonal Defence coming up

this'll be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Headshot wrote: »
    like some liverpool fans did yesterday

bloody Eamo has probly lost his bet

delighted

Yep, its been condemned on the Liverpool thread!
    yayamark wrote: »
    Very True. Chelsea could have scored 6. Liverpool did try though a good game.

Well Done Chelsea a deserved win, congrats from a disappointed and surprised pool fan.

Lucas was poor as usual. Skertl, fabio and riera were poor for a change.

Have to agree, Chelsea superb, Drogba back to his old self.

We badly missed Mascherano.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Just as well it only takes 90 minutes to decide on whole careers.

Indeed.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the way, saying Hyppia should have started is the worst type of results based analysis. Skrtel has been great all season, and we haven't conceded a goal because of poor marking in weeks. And overall, our defensive performances since the Boro game has been excellent. There was no good reason to start Sammi tonight. We made two mistakes and were punished for it. It happens, but that doesn't invalidate the team selection.

Come on now.

I really don't think Hyppia would have been any better. He'd have been caught for pace.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Des wrote: »
    lol, analysis of Zonal Defence coming up

this'll be good

"They mark the space and not the man" John says dissaprovingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Not bad for a team with no history:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

"They mark the space and not the man" John says dissaprovingly

in my day . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What about goals from corners when the defending team doesn't use zonal marking? Does it mean that no marking works???

We're through the looking glass imo :rolleyes:

Look brother. RTE, SKY and the bloody BBC are all barking on about it. I couldnt give a toss anyway. Pool are most likely out of the competition. RTE just said only one team has ever game back from this deficit in the history of the competition at this stage. No way in hell I can see them beating Chelsea by three at the bridge. There best hope is to win by two and play for penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Meh, if you are going to boil it down to such simplistic differences between them then the obvious counter is that you couldn't start Sammi because his lack of pace would be destroyed.

Our two best center halves started tonight. One of them performed poorly, and his opposite number had a huge game. It happens.

IMO you pick a defence to counter-act the oppostion and yes Hypia's pace would be an issue if Anelka started and Chelsea tried to play the ball behind the defence but with Drogba playing expierence and ability in the air is more important than pace.

Also Lucas is shocking, Gerrard back into midfield and actually starting Yossi might have been better imo.

BTW thats all it is my opinion and yess I have the luxury of giving mine after seeing the match from my armchair, but its still an opinion:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

K-9 wrote: »
    We badly missed Mascherano.

Yes we did, big time lets hope they will miss terry as much next week. We need to put this behind us and concentrate on saturday because if we mess than one up the its game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

^^^^
    if we win by 2 we're out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well done Chelsea awesome display today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Great result for Chelsea. Not sure how I feel about it logically or emotionally. Do I wan't the pool having sole focus on the prem? Will it demoralise them though? Do I want them to have no chance to win the CL? Do I want Terry to nerver get his hands on (Yes very much :D).

To most pool fan's hard luck. Neither team (United or Pool) had a great week so far.

But to highsider can I just say :p (from the bottom of my heart)

redout wrote: »
    Look brother. RTE, SKY and the bloody BBC are all barking on about it. I couldnt give a toss anyway. Pool are most likely out of the competition. RTE just said only one team has ever game back from this deficit in the history of the competition at this stage. No way in hell I can see them beating Chelsea by three at the bridge. There best hope is to win by two and play for penalties.

Well then there absolutely must be something in it!! Goals get scored from corners and setpieces - whether they are facing zonal or man marking.

The story isn't that Liverpool have been applying any type of scheme, it's that they are executing poorly. Failing to be switched on and attack the ball. That's all.

The whole hullabaloo about it is just another overblown myth that the media and ill informed masses run with. Like the one over Benitez and rotation...:rolleyes:

Ball watching never works, zonal or man to man marking!

PS. What's Liverpools defensive record in the Premiership or CL?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bill: "Now let's see the first goal, John will demonstrate"
    John: "Now there's--there's--there's the ball coming across... *goal scored, replay starts again* Okay hold it there."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Hats off to Chelsea. Absolutely awesome tonight. They made us look like chumps.:(

Oh dear

No excuses.

Fair play Chelsea.

2 things ;

- Essien was sick. Man of the match without a shadow of a doubt and stopped Stevie from playing.

- Zonal marking doesn't ****ing work. Look at how many SILLY goals we've conceeded because of it in the league, FA cup and now Europe.

Anyway was a good game to watch apart from the score :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Zonal marking has been working fine during the season, Chelsea were successful tonight in exploiting it.

Chelsea didn't score against us in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Great result for Chelsea. Not sure how I feel about it logically or emotionally. Do I wan't the pool having sole focus on the prem? Will it demoralise them though? Do I want them to have no chance to win the CL? Do I want Terry to nerver get his hands on (Yes very much :D).

To most pool fan's hard luck. Neither team (United or Pool) had a great week so far.

But to highsider can I just say :p (from the bottom of my heart)
    No problem man right back at ya:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

evil_seed wrote: »
    ^^^^
    if we win by 2 we're out

Not if you win 3-1 or 4-2 or 5-3 or well you see where this going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

well you see where this going.

7-5?:)

Ball watching never works, zonal or man to man marking!

Defensive record is good. Note all the games we didn't concede goals from setpieces in while running zonal marking...!

Well then there absolutely must be something in it!! Goals get scored from corners and setpieces - whether they are facing zonal or man marking.

The story isn't that Liverpool have been applying any type of scheme, it's that they are executing poorly. Failing to be switched on and attack the ball. That's all.

The whole hullabaloo about it is just another overblown myth that the media and ill informed masses run with. Like the one over Benitez and rotation...:rolleyes:

Giles is just at to explaining it brilliantly there. Zonal marking your marking a space and that space has never scored a goal ! They just walked through the two goals there and explained it. Its a flawed system. Just admit it and of Course there is something in it otherwise all 3 broadcasters wouldnt be barking on about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

have to say fair play to Chelsea they worked their asses off and got a great result.

+ Essien man marked Gerrard out of the game

+ 5 man chelsea midfield bossed us out of it

+ pressed us at every opportunity

+ we were not Zonal marking for the second goal

+ off side for the 3rd goal

not impressed by the result but i hope we bounce back on sat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Fantastic game and Chelsea probably deserved the result in the end. The best i've seeing them play this season by far. Lucas was non existent in midfield tonight and offered nothing going forward, Javier Mascherano was a massive miss tonight for Liverpool. I can't see Liverpool going to stamford bridge and scoring 3 goals but i would have said the same about them going to old trafford and scoring 4 but still going to be equally tough. If Kuty had scored just after Chelsea got the equaliser then we'd all be discussing a different result i believe.

I thought Gerrard was very poor second half as was Torres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Sickening result, the tie is over now I'm afraid :( . Mascherano was missed big time in midfield. Aurelio had a shocking game tonight, it looked like he was off the pace and tired (even though he was rested in the previous game). Once again defending set peices in the big games have hurt us, maybe we should change to man marking in the big games becuase thats where we are leaking goals. Everytime we are playing chelsea, everton or manc my heart beats 3x faster when we concede a corner or a freekick. O well, at least we can concentrate on the premier league now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ah that was very disappointing now.. Brilliant performance from chelsea.

The left side of liverpool was very poor tonight...

None of the subs worked really. Babel and dossena were very poor when they came on.

i thought lucas was ok but i know masch would have been excellent..

To score 3 goals at the bridge is going to be extremely tough considering we can't concede. It's still possible but very unlikely.
    Well done chelsea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mada999 wrote: »

+ off side for the 3rd goal

Whos in the what now?

Giles is just at to explaining it brilliantly there. Zonal marking your marking a space and that space has never scored a goal ! They just walked through the two goals there and explained it. Its a flawed system. Just admit it and of Course there is something in it otherwise all 3 broadcasters wouldnt be barking on about it :rolleyes:

No, I won't. There is nothing to admit. Again, what happened with all of those corners and setpieces we didn't concede from this season - all those games where the opposition didn't profit from them? See, zonal marking does work. Just admit it. Brother. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

21 goals in Prem and 8 in CL as of tonight

mike65 wrote: »

Not too shabby imo.

Masch was such a big loss...........

NOBODY took responsibility and left it to others for the 2 goals. That happens, even with man to man marking.

How many teams is Eamo going to tip this year. Is that 4/5? He's a bit of a zonal defender himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not too shabby imo.

2nd best in the league off the top of it head. Dunno bout CL

No, I won't. There is nothing to admit. Again, what happened with all of those corners and setpieces we didn't concede from this season - all those games where the opposition didn't profit from them? See, zonal marking does work. Just admit it. Brother. ;)

Ignorance is bliss brother. It just most likely knocked you out of the tournament.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Cheers. That is that one zonally defended then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CHD wrote: »
    Well Played Sir.

:cool: / :(

Sticking out a mile.

Ignorance is bliss brother. It just most likely knocked you out of the tournament.

Expect me to make a post every time a team concedes a goal from a setpiece while marking man to man between now and the end of the season. Significantly postcount + imo. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bow.gifu1_essien_348092a.jpg

man is a legend

best DM is the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok I get Zonal marking works against many teams but surely if you are playing against a team that this especially strong in the air you adjust to defend against that team.

Why is it he can't alter it for some games? Its not as if the players won't be able to adapt to man marking for a one off game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Expect me to make a post every time a team concedes a goal from a setpiece while marking man to man between now and the end of the season. Significantly postcount + imo. ;)

Yeah that's the thing, every time a team besides Liverpool concede a goal from a set piece why don't you hear "oh the fúcking man marking system is shít" - it's nonsense.

Liverpool have conceded less goals from corners than most teams this year I'd wager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

The thing is we are conceding goals from set pieces in nearly all of our big games :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whos in the what now?

looked off-side to me from the aerial view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ok I get Zonal marking works against many teams but surely if you are playing against a team that this especially strong in the air you adjust to defend against that team.

Why is it he can't alter it for some games? Its not as if the players won't be able to adapt to man marking for a one off game?

But what's to say they'd be easier to defend against by man-marking? I'm sure Benitez is clever enough to know whether or not that's the case tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

He's doin' it to piss off Ronnie Whelan :pac:

Advertisement