Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerscouty mysterious cave

Options
  • 07-04-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Myself and my gf were at the powerscourt waterfall are the weekend. It's a smashing place, but we came across this cave/inlet into the hill (see attached pic) and we couldnt figure out what it was. It was blocked with rocks but at the very top of the arch some of the rocks had fallen back inwards, and it seemed as if it went back a bit into the hill.

My first thought was it was Batman's exit from his cave but my gf brushed this off.

Any other (legitimate) ideas!?

PS. Apologies for misspelling Powerscourt in the title, didnt realise it until I had the post submitted!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think it's know as the Powerscourt Deer Park cave. If you Google it, you'll find a few links, including a PDF going into great detail about the geology of it. It would seem that there was some limited mining done in it back in the day, possibly explaining the entrance being the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Interesting thread. According to literature Deerpark Cave is a km SE of waterfall, the photo posted shows a cave that is a good bit closer I think; less than 100 yards possibly. The entrance is man made. Could it be an underground tunnel; manmade also? I've seen them in the grounds of big houses. The staff would travel through them to bring the picnic tea to the lords and ladies. (So as not to spoil the view!?)
    Similar entrances can be seen for example in St.Anne's, Raheny which was owned by the Guinness Family.

Best story I've heard about Powercourt Waterfall, concerns the visit to Powercourt House of George IV in 1821. The lord of the manor, Richard Wingfield (5th Viscount in fact) dammed the waterfall and built a bridge across the river. The plan was that the king and himself would stand on the bridge and watch the spectacle as the dam was removed and the water would come crashing down with even more force than usual.

The king 'overdid the hospitality' and was 'indisposed' and unable to come down to the waterfall. When the dam was later removed the ensuing rush of water knocked down the bridge. Could have been a significant chapter in English history if the king had been there.

Advertisement