Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing O2 wireless broadband

• 07-04-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there.

I use an O2 E270 wireless broadband device connected to my laptop. Is it possible to share my connection to another laptop?

Thanks!

Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Odgious wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I use an O2 E270 wireless broadband device connected to my laptop. Is it possible to share my connection to another laptop?
    Kieran

There are a number of devices available that allow you to share those USB 3g devices to a LAN

3G_only.jpg

There was only one available when I needed to set it up for a client last year, but I think nearly all of the main router manufacturers have a similar model now. You just need to make sure that it will work with you device/network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Odgious

Thanks for that ... if i'm scouting about for one, what exact functionality is it im looking for?

cheers

Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah, just spotted that sticky the second after I posted my last reply

3g router is the term that is usually used I think. But each product will have different capabilities. You just need to draw up a list of what the router needs to do and go through the different routers.

For example.

1. Needs to connect to USB 3g modem. BE CAREFUL that you dont end up with the version that works with the PCMCIA version of the 3g card.
    2. You will probably want to connect wirelessly to other devices in the house. (One of the big advantages of having the router is that you can put the router in the place in the house that has the best 3g reception and share it from there)
    etc etc...

Then find out what routers let you carry out those functions.

Advertisement