Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Local

Options
  • 07-04-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Do you choose to shop locally or is price the most important thing. I guess with all the english chain stores now open in Galway. What amount of you still prefer to shop with an established Galway store v's an English Multinational....

Im talking about the likes of Anthony Ryans, Fallers, Nestors SuperValu, Dempsey Interiors, Cunniffee Electric, O'Mailleys, Kennys, Hanly's, Zhivago etc...

I honestly think these strores are what make Galway Uniquely different. I think we are well on the way to becoming the same as any other city in the Uk.

Plus if you want something local supported, table quiz, event, charity's etc... What ever chance you have with a local company you have no chance with a multinational.

Thats my opinion I'm curious about yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

milktray wrote: »
    I think we are well on the way to becoming the same as any other city in the Uk.
    Yep. Globalisation is here to stay. Its nice to have local businesses but in reality they are just going to operate in a niche market while the multi nationals dominate the main stream markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The only one of those stores that I would shop in is Zhivago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I find aftersale service much better with locally owned shops. They care. As such, that's the only way I shop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'll shop where price is competitive so that's online

There have been threads in the past moaning the dearth of shopping in galway, people seem to want more chain stores so we will end up with more UK chainstores

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Xiney wrote: »
    The only one of those stores that I would shop in is Zhivago.

Funny because of all of those, that's my least favourite. When I was a kid it was great, but as a teenager I did find I got treated like a crim in there if I was browsing the racks. So I suppose I have that hangup left over. That and it's ridiculously expensive.

My favourite of the mentioned shops is Ryan's Homecare. I love it, great range and extremely helpful staff.

Other shops I like around would be Sheridan's Cheesemonger, Evergreen, Barna Gifts, Judy Green, Wooden Heart, Twice as Nice, McCambridge's, Powell's. I could go on but there are actually rakes.

When it comes to products like books and CDs though, I will always go for the cheapest option which nearly always is online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

just in the case of zhivago. it does my nut in anytime i go in there!

there is no rhyme or reason to the place....dvds, cds, piled in odd corners, not arranged alphabetically, more expensive than competitors, etc compare and contrast with HMV where you find what you are looking for in seconds.

it's up to the local traders to get there act together and then they might have an upsurge in custom. too many had it too good for too long. choice is a good thing, so all kinds of retailer should be welcome, even the big bad multinationals...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I honestly think these strores are what make Galway Uniquely different. I think we are well on the way to becoming the same as any other city in the Uk.[/I]
    Angry mob assemble!

I used to only shop locally when I lived in city centre. Went to the markets and got milk/bread in corner shops. Now I've become a suburbanite and shop in Aldi /Tesco :o

I buy a fair bit from Hanleys, Have always bought my suits there and cant remember the last time I bought jeans any where else. My family have always shopped there so I get a nice discount on anything I buy ;).I have bought a few things from Geraghtys who are local as well. I dont buy music or DVD's anymore thanks to torrents so no Zhivago. Never really shopped in Ryans. Food is usually Dunnes as I find them good value. Never bought anything in fallers(but dont buy what they sell anywhere else either). If I can get the exact same product(same brand etc) in a few different places I will buy it where it is cheapest.

As a general rule I shop in the local shops as they have what I want its not really an attempt to support the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

By rights am not in position to have ethics at the moment - but yes it means a lot to me to shop in local stores.
    Not always but would often be a factor when choosing to buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 milktray

I agree with most of what you all say. I agree local companies need to be as competitive as they can. And offer a better service than anyone else.

I think the way things are in the economy we should support our local stores even more than we normally would.

At least the money you spend locally stays in Galway and circulates in galway. I think the idea of spending money and it being deposited in the Uk is crazy.

I think when I see the Wal Mart situation in America where a huge discount store (even though Wal Mart is American) has killed towns the length and breath of the country.

We need to get back to basics, good service, value for money, trust, repeat business, are all areas that local shops should excel in. With the recent closure of Suites Supreme, I forecast a lot more unhappy endings to some of our long established business without our support.

I personally will only spend my money locally unless the price difference is so wide that I would be an idiot not to avail of the huge and obvious discount.

• Advertisement

At least the money you spend locally stays in Galway and circulates in galway. I think the idea of spending money and it being deposited in the Uk is crazy.

Partially, but a heck lot of the stock in these shops is sourced from abroad, so your theory falls down.

I will shop locally, but only if the quality and service are as good as elsewhere and the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I personally will only spend my money locally unless the price difference is so wide that I would be an idiot not to avail of the huge and obvious discount.

And it's that last sentence that blows your argument out of the water: if you look at the price of virtually any grocery item in SuperValu or Joyces, it will be vastly higher than the price of an equivalent item in Lidl, Aldi, or even Tesco.

I don't believe that racism (either positive towards locals, or negative against outsiders) should be applied to purchasing decisions. In my book, it all comes down to quality (good-enough-for-purpose: quality doesn't always have to be high), value, and service. Locals cannot necessarily complete on these. The only local shop I consistenly go to is Terryland fruit and veg, because their prices and quality are vastly better on most items.

But I do drink in a number of locally owned pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not racism, it's protectionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

If I had the time and money I'd shop only in locally-owned shops, but convenience means I do nearly all my food shopping in Dunnes in Briarhill (work in Parkmore, live in Mervue, no way am I trekking all the way into town after work for my dinner ingredients).
    On weekends I do the rounds of a few places though; always get my olive oil, garlic and a few other things in the market, some food and refills on cleaning products in Evergreen, any current local record releases in Zhivago (two of my friends work there so they help me find stuff and give me a discount), and books in Charlie Byrne's and Bell, Book and Candle.

I dont totally agree with you. Tesco for example are much more expensive for meat as an example than SuperValu. As is the nature of Supermarkets they will have their specials for the week and without fear of contradiction, SuperValu leave Tesco for dust on meat offers. But we can nit pick at offers from now until eternity and we will both have valid points.

I know that the notion of trying to keep Galway owned businees supported may be a romantic idealism. I may be like the black smith thinking this car thing will never take off. I just hate the idea of Galway my home town turning into another soul less, clone of another uk town or city is a shame. We need to still keep a little uniqueness and aside from the music craic and the fact that we are irish adds to the soul of the city I also think it is a good thing we have shop that are different and compete. McCambridges is a perfect example.

May be this is the future! Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe its because its budget day that has me on the soap box...

Sorry this was a reply to an earlier comment from Mary, I am out of turn. But continue I am totally interested in all your opinions...

I'm not talking about special offers, only regular prices.

Lidl routinely charge 50c less for a loaf of bread than Dunnes do for exactly the same product. A 33% difference is NOT nit-picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Other shops I like around would be Sheridan's Cheesemonger, Evergreen, Barna Gifts, Judy Green, Wooden Heart, Twice as Nice, McCambridge's, Powell's.

These shops are great fun... expensive though
    Das Kitty wrote: »

My favourite of the mentioned shops is Ryan's Homecare. I love it, great range and extremely helpful staff.

I know there is another thread about Ryans, but honestly I think their standard of customer service is pretty bad. Anytime I have been in there a salesperson immediately swoops over. When I say what I am looking for, (usually something cheap/on sale) they point vaguely to a corner of the shop and tell me to find it over there. You can almost see the little commission counter reseting to zero in their head. Of course I can't find said item, so I go to the checkout and ask, they tell me its coming back into stock in 1 week, I go back in a week later, still not there.

I waited from mid-December until 2 weeks ago for a replacement part for a coffee pot - could'nt find anywhere else in Galway for it, and every time I went in and asked it was always going to be coming in next week.

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm not talking about special offers, only regular prices.

Lidl routinely charge 50c less for a loaf of bread than Dunnes do for exactly the same product. A 33% difference is NOT nit-picking.

I actually dont believe in shopping in Aldi or Lidil. I know I said in a previous post that the reason I pick Galway shops is not really due to a desire to help the local economy but at least shopping in Dunnes and Tesco most of the meat, veg etc is from Irish farmers which I do agree in supporting. I dont like the shops either and all the non-branded stuff they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Much (not all) of the meat and veg in Lidl that would be Irish in Dunnes is also Irish in Lidl. Obviously there are no Irish bananas anywhere.

I love Lidl. I think the prices of food in this country are outrageous.

• Advertisement

Tawny wrote: »
    I know there is another thread about Ryans, but honestly I think their standard of customer service is pretty bad. Anytime I have been in there a salesperson immediately swoops over. When I say what I am looking for, (usually something cheap/on sale) they point vaguely to a corner of the shop and tell me to find it over there. You can almost see the little commission counter reseting to zero in their head. Of course I can't find said item, so I go to the checkout and ask, they tell me its coming back into stock in 1 week, I go back in a week later, still not there.

I waited from mid-December until 2 weeks ago for a replacement part for a coffee pot - could'nt find anywhere else in Galway for it, and every time I went in and asked it was always going to be coming in next week.

You see I've never had an experience like this, I did have an over-zealous sales person trying to sell me knives drop one close to my foot once though! I wanted a specific piece of kitchen kit from them and they ordered it in for me and phoned me when it arrived, without taking a deposit. They'll also negotiate on prices which I think is brilliant. Last I heard they didn't work on commission in there, but obviously that could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Of course, if we all promise to buy from locally owned shops, the owners will in turn promise to keep prices as low as possible.

I think I see a flaw in our plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

I think this episode of South Park sums up the problem of shopping local versus shopping at large chain stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Wall-Mart_This_Way_Comes

We all want to support local businesses, and like the idea of being able to nip to the local bakery for our bread, pop next door to our local butcher to buy our meat produced on a local farm and maybe pick some blackberries on the way home for pudding. But in practice this isnt practical.

We generally want to spend less, have more convenience and choice and know what we are buying comes up to a certain level of standards. This is why we have the large chain stores and why they wont go away because people, generally, will continue to shop at them. Its crappy, but unless we are prepared to pay more we will continue to see less and less local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Do you choose to shop locally or is price the most important thing. I guess with all the english chain stores now open in Galway. What amount of you still prefer to shop with an established Galway store v's an English Multinational....

Im talking about the likes of Anthony Ryans, Fallers, Nestors SuperValu, Dempsey Interiors, Cunniffee Electric, O'Mailleys, Kennys, Hanly's, Zhivago etc...

I honestly think these strores are what make Galway Uniquely different. I think we are well on the way to becoming the same as any other city in the Uk.

Plus if you want something local supported, table quiz, event, charity's etc... What ever chance you have with a local company you have no chance with a multinational.

Thats my opinion I'm curious about yours?

Have you been in Zivagos lately? Looks like a tinkers yard. You could order a Bluray there OR walk up the street and buy it straight-away in HMV. As for Cunnifee Electric, I'm not buying electrics from a salesman that tells me 'this yoke definitly has doubly digital' a la Spinal Tap.

I'll support quality goods and customer service.

P.S. It did not have 'doubly digital'.

This thread has me pondering what counts as local.

Supermacs? Nationwide chain, started by a Galway man as I understand. Would it be considered "local" in Ballinasloe, or Limerick?

McDonalds? I'd guess that the stores here are franchised, so there is a "local" who owns the business, they just have to pay a franchise fee to the country licencee, who in turn pays a fee to the US company.

Kebab house? Golden Rickshaw? Not international chains (that I know of, could be wrong), but appear to be operated by people who didn't grow up here.

Thought????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I support the Galway market, would be down there most Saturdays, other places I would frequent would be Evergreen, Charlie Byrnes,Gourmet Tart Comapny,Powells, and if i was looking for something in particular i would go to Mc Cambridges. Me and my friends eat out a good bit so i guess thats supporting local businesses? The Cellar, Mustard, Milanos,The Dail, Rodeos, etc..

However when times are tight people will vote with their feet and lower prices will beat a concience 9 times out of ten...

JustMary wrote: »
    This thread has me pondering what counts as local.

Supermacs? Nationwide chain, started by a Galway man as I understand. Would it be considered "local" in Ballinasloe, or Limerick?

McDonalds? I'd guess that the stores here are franchised, so there is a "local" who owns the business, they just have to pay a franchise fee to the country licencee, who in turn pays a fee to the US company.

Kebab house? Golden Rickshaw? Not international chains (that I know of, could be wrong), but appear to be operated by people who didn't grow up here.

Thought????

Interesting point.

I think my main thing about shopping locally is that there are shops in Galway that have brilliant quality and variety that are not chains. Sheridan's for example, you can go in there and ask any question about the cheeses and they know their stuff. My main motivation for getting my cheese in there as much as I can is that I don't want them to shut down and be stuck with only supermarket cheese.

I just want the local shops I like to stay in business.

Whether or not I shop in a chain store isn't going to be make or break for them as much as it is for a local shop.

As for johnny foreigner, IMO, if they're living and paying tax here, they're local! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smitty1979

I think our local shops are great. Alot of them have definately lost their quaintness over the last few years but that was probably to survive against the larger chains. The Galway market is a sham though. Alot (not all) of the "handmade craft" are the same tack you see in the markets of Australia/Thailand, imported and sold on to gullible Irish. However I disagree with an earlier post about the money not staying local if the item was made overseas. If multinational X sources a product from country Y and local owned shop does the same - their profits are going to be mostly spent in other local shops whereas the multinational sucks it out of Ireland:confused:. However, if locally owned shop is charging moe for the exact same item; go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I travel a fair bit & do most of my clothes shopping when I'm away.
    Better choice, better prices, better service. A no-brainer.

The odd times I have shopped locally, I found Geraghty's to be poor on product knowledge but good on seeming to give a sh*t, actually quite pleasant. The twice I've been in ryans I felt like punching someone. Ignorant, ignorant staff, in my experience. I won't cross their doorstep again.

I do big household/food shops up north, but I always did cos I travel up there to visit an old pal. Outwith those trips I lean more towards Dunnes than Tesco, mainly because Tesco is manic & often poorly stocked
    I'm quite happy to support my local corner shop for fresh goods, I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience.

There still seems to be a fair amount of small boutiques for the ladies, but to my jaded eye they seem full of overpriced 1970's kay's catalogue rejects. Maybe that's just me though, I'm only a man!

Wish I could spend more locally, but it just isn't that easy unless you're willing to hand over cash blindly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I buy stuff in a lot of locally owned shops. Not because they are local, but because they offer a good service in one way or another.

Mortons, Salthill.
    Joyces Knocknacarra.
    McCambridges, Shop Street.
    O'Brien's Newsagents, Shop Street.
    N17 furniture, Headford Road.
    Scottys, Headford Road.

Busker Brownes, The Cottage, Dew Drop for beers.

I also go to Currys, PC World, Tesco and Aldi :D

Advertisement