Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Local

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I also go to Currys, PC World

I was with you until this. The absolute worst service I ever had was in these places. It's a toss-up which was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I support the Galway market, would be down there most Saturdays, other places I would frequent would be Evergreen, Charlie Byrnes,Gourmet Tart Comapny,Powells, and if i was looking for something in particular i would go to Mc Cambridges. Me and my friends eat out a good bit so i guess thats supporting local businesses? The Cellar, Mustard, Milanos,The Dail, Rodeos, etc..

However when times are tight people will vote with their feet and lower prices will beat a concience 9 times out of ten...

Milanos is the Irish Brand of PizzaExpress and part of the HUGE Uk Gondola Group (owning Zizzi, Ask and PizzaExpress) hardly local although I do work for the head office in London from Oranmore.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Most of my money goes to Aldi because I'm broke :p I don't have too much of a hangup about spending money in a foreign supermarket versus an Irish supermarket - at the end of the day they all stock Irish products, employ in Ireland and pay tax in Ireland. Dunnes' slogan "The difference is we're Irish" is therefore meaningless.

As for local shops, I would also spend a bit of money in places like McCambridges, the market, various fruit & veg places etc. But I get the vast majority of my food from supermarkets. For bigger items I'll always shop around - whether a shop is local or not is way down the list of priorities these days I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Anybody remember the 'Buy Irish' campaign in the 80s? Brilliant - & it worked! Let's face it, most people are skint or watching the pennies... Doesn't really matter where you shop. You are still supporting local jobs, local franchisees & local property. Do we really want to get rid of all the 'foreign' retail employers in this city? But (& its a big but) if you concentrate on buying Irish produce as much as possible then you are supporting Irish farmers & Irish industries. The unfortunate thing is that while Ireland produces a lot of our own foodstuffs, even techie stuff, we don't do clothing very well. Any takers that can compete with Penneys?

Advertisement